Confirmed with Link: Anthony Mantha signs 4 year extension ($5.7m cap hit)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Anecdotal garbage argument. Not to mention Bylsma has ZERO history of "bringing dogshit teams [as bad as this one] to respectability." And if Byslma being a "Stanley Cup winning coach" who can take a .250 team to .450 were a real thing, he wouldn't be an assistant coach on the worst team in the league 2 years running, in charge of a PP that is historically bad. There is a ton of "bad" with this team, and Bylsma is part of that. If he can't improve the PP with the personnel he has at his disposal, he has no business captaining the whole ship.

Fire Blashill during a previous offseason? Sure. Let him walk after this season? Yep. Fire him right now? Nope.

As opposed to your argument - which is based on nothing but a 1/2 thought-out opinion?
I'll take it.

I'll take a Stanley Cup winner over a guy who just keeps getting worse.
I'll take the guy who brought a joke team to respectability, and then watched the respectable team turn into a joke when he was fired.

You can't keep letting your players fall off cliffs. Or, you can't let your coach drive the bus off a cliff.

There's nothing wrong with stabilizing a situation until you can come up with a better, permanent option.

The do-nothing argument is stupid and irresponsible.

Reactions: David D

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
As opposed to your argument - which is based on nothing but a 1/2 thought-out opinion?
I'll take it.

I'll take a Stanley Cup winner over a guy who just keeps getting worse.
I'll take the guy who brought a joke team to respectability, and then watched the respectable team turn into a joke when he was fired.

You can't keep letting your players fall off cliffs. Or, you can't let your coach drive the bus off a cliff.

There's nothing wrong with stabilizing a situation until you can come up with a better, permanent option.

The do-nothing argument is stupid and irresponsible.

You'll take your own argument over one you disagree with??? Noooooo! Me too!!

I laid out real-world, tangible reasons for why Blashill should not, and very likely will not, be fired mid-season. You ignored them. Probably didn't like them. They certainly don't fit your narrative built on statistics abuse and strawmen. Fine. Just keep dreaming sweet dreams of Bylsma taking over this roster and leading it to a .450 winning %, and then grumbling every day it doesn't happen. These next few months will be fun for all of us.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
It's up. Doesn't say much... conversation will be between he and Mantha

One of the more hilarious dodges though.

"Why was Mantha not in the lineup?"
"I decided to go with the group I went with."

Haha.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Couple days ago Blashill said about Mantha that he doesn't need great linemates, he can carry his own line. He could put him in 4th line , but sit guy who has started scoring is priceless.
Fire Blashill

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
No, I mean the fans need to suck it up and deal with it, not the players or organization. I don't believe they have anything to suck up, because unlike the most vociferous Blashill detractors, they are no doubt aware of just how bad this roster is. It's unlikely the players are stewing about poor coaching. They are able to look around the locker room and realize 90% of the roster is bottom-6 forwards and bottom-pair defensemen.

I want Blashill gone too. I agree he's not been a very good coach. He's not the coach to take this team to the next level at the very least. But now is not the time to fire him.

Now is exactly the time to fire him. He’s clearly lost the room and he’s directly interfering with the growth and chemistry of our prospects

Reactions: David D

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Now is exactly the time to fire him. He’s clearly lost the room and he’s directly interfering with the growth and chemistry of our prospects

Outside of that blip that was the Chicago game (of which there were several last year too), I've seen no sign he's lost the room. After today, seems pretty clear he hasn't.

Our prospects are all in Europe or GR, not worried about them. And the young guys in Detroit, overall, have come along.

43 more games for you guys who can't stand it. Give me your addresses, I'll send you Red Wings advent calendars with hockey cards in them.

Reactions: FMichael

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Outside of that blip that was the Chicago game (of which there were several last year too), I've seen no sign he's lost the room. After today, seems pretty clear he hasn't.

Our prospects are all in Europe or GR, not worried about them. And the young guys in Detroit, overall, have come along.

43 more games for you guys who can't stand it. Give me your addresses, I'll send you Red Wings advent calendars with hockey cards in them.
I still watch every game + pre/post games, though my eyes aren't glued to the screen like '90-'18. Thanks in advance for the Advent calendar! :laugh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Blash has made his declaration, it is now official.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Before today's game... we lost two games to Tampa where he had 5 shots in the 3rd and 4 shots in the third.

Not sure why you're dug in on sticking with a loser.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Before today's game... we lost two games to Tampa where he had 5 shots in the 3rd and 4 shots in the third.

Because I'm a homer who loves everything that is a Red Wing. It's why I was FURIOUS when they bought out Abdelkader and CRUSHED when they didn't bring back Bowey.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Mantha on the trade block or just a message? True he hasn’t been playing his best, but we aren’t really in a position to cut top line players, especially with Bertuzzi out.

Reactions: David D and lilidk

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Mantha on the trade block or just a message? True he hasn’t been playing his best, but we aren’t really in a position to cut top line players, especially with Bertuzzi out.

Short term - not really.
Mantha for RNH.
Longterm, we've taken wingers at 4 and 6. We also have Berggren coming, and maybe a couple more prospects in Soderblom and Mastro.
You could also make a play for Taylor Hall next year.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Not sure why you are trumpeting a move to boot the coach for a guy currently on his staff like he can magically pull out 5-10 more wins out of this team.

Also... .450 is bad hockey. Like why are you trumpeting a move with that as the upside?

Bylsma is running the PP, right? The PP that doesn’t get shots on net and generally looks like dogshit. But yeah, he would totally just flip a switch and they’d be magically good again.

Also... stop using Buffalo as an example. Do we have a Jack Eichel here? Buffalo was magically shitty in 13-14 because they were blatantly tanking and trying to be bad. They weren’t bottom of the league caliber until they started dealing guys that year. Then they added Jack Eichel who is a very top end player.

But, we shouldn’t be surprised. No context on arguments matters for @MBH

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Short term - not really.
Mantha for RNH.
Longterm, we've taken wingers at 4 and 6. We also have Berggren coming, and maybe a couple more prospects in Soderblom and Mastro.

Mantha doesn’t get you RNH. Mantha + something decently big is what it would take.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

So you’re telling me... the absolute class of the league with a ludicrous pool of talent embarrassed the least talented roster in the NHL?

The problems with this team are purely talent. A much better coach could get a little better result out of this roster, but man, Scotty Bowman could come walking through that door and this team ain’t sniffing the postseason

Reactions: Browntrout

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Any smoke around Mantha for Bennett?
Mantha had 38 points in 43 games last year, Bennett had 12 in 52. They are not in the same universe as far as value goes. I don't think a slow start (7 points in 12 games isn't even bad) during a pandemic season is a reason to trade Mantha. His compete level and effort definitely scares me but I would roll with Mantha and not trade him except for an overpay.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Short term - not really.
Mantha for RNH.
Hard pass on Taylor Hall. Aside from his half a season in New Jersey, he's been a pretty one-dimensional poor man's version of Phil Kessel.

Reactions: FMichael

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
RNH is UFA after this season, WIngs would be smarter to wait anyways. RNH isn't going to take this team to the playoffs this season.
There's no way Edmonton re-signs RNH, unless he gives a hometown discount. They have some cap issues to deal with and could use some more defensive/goaltending help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad