Confirmed with Link: Anthony Mantha signs 4 year extension ($5.7m cap hit)

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Mantha has everything except a good motor. Anyone remember Kris Newbury? Imagine if he had the tenacity of that guy, he would be absolutely unstoppable.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Haven't watched the game yet but I see Mo got a goal and was the 3rd star. Hopefully it was a step.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It is just me or does Mantha look a lot like Screech, the kid from Saved By The Bell. RIP.

upload_2021-2-4_20-14-10.png

upload_2021-2-4_20-12-28.png

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am at the point where I think it is time to move Mantha. He just doesn't compete anywhere near enough with so many games and shifts of uninspired play. Move him now while he has value, for a a little younger player who actually puts energy into most shifts. When he talks he says all the right things, like he wants to get 5-6 shots a game and be a difference maker, but his play doesn't match what he says.

When he actually gives a crap he looks like a star player, but 85% of the time he just seems to be content with being out there with uninspiring effort. If you are going to play like he currently does, then he had better be putting up at least a point a game, because he is a detriment in most other areas of the game.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I am at the point where I think it is time to move Mantha. He just doesn't compete anywhere near enough with so many games and shifts of uninspired play. Move him now while he has value, for a a little younger player who actually puts energy into most shifts. When he talks he says all the right things, like he wants to get 5-6 shots a game and be a difference maker, but his play doesn't match what he says.

When he actually gives a crap he looks like a star player, but 85% of the time he just seems to be content with being out there with uninspiring effort. If you are going to play like he currently does, then he had better be putting up at least a point a game, because he is a detriment in most other areas of the game.

I see what you are saying, but I’d like to see him play under a new coach before moving him. I just think his upside is too great unless of course it’s an offer we can’t refuse.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I see what you are saying, but I’d like to see him play under a new coach before moving him. I just think his upside is too great unless of course it’s an offer we can’t refuse.

I agree that a new coach may help him, but I am losing hope that we will ever be rid of Blashill. How can a coach lose for 6+ seasons with many long losing streaks and still keep his job, I have never seen anything like it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I agree that a new coach may help him, but I am losing hope that we will ever be rid of Blashill. How can a coach lose for 6+ seasons with many long losing streaks and still keep his job, I have never seen anything like it.

Blashill hasn't been losing for +6 seasons.

First season was success. A playoff spot.

Then Datsyuk left and we have been losing for +4 seasons. Kronwall retired, Zetterberg retired.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

If you see that, don't you think other teams see it too? Or do you think they might think they can fix him? What kind of assets do you see coming back in a trade?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If you see that, don't you think other teams see it too? Or do you think they might think they can fix him? What kind of assets do you see coming back in a trade?

I think a coach can help, but maybe just a change of scenery for him will do good. Whatever it is, he isn't competing hard and it is beyond frustrating.

Not really sure who I would target, would look into it though if I was in charge. Someone who wants it more though for sure.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Blashill hasn't been losing for +6 seasons.

First season was success. A playoff spot.

Then Datsyuk left and we have been losing for +4 seasons. Kronwall retired, Zetterberg retired.

1000 pardons, he had 1 ok season, followed by bad coaching for 4+ seasons. DJ Smith was a rookie coach last year, with terrible roster, yet they beat us out by 23 pts for 2nd last because they competed most nights. But by all means, pump up a bad coach who has proven he can't motivate this team at all.

I have never seen such a bad coach defended by so many when he has proven for nearly 6 years he isn't good. Most coaches don't even get 3 years of losing before getting the can, but somehow he is in season 6.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I think a coach can help, but maybe just a change of scenery for him will do good. Whatever it is, he isn't competing hard and it is beyond frustrating.
Yep get rid of one of the 4 players worth paying the price of admission on the team.
Be patient these hockey players are human beings and it's hard to compete every shift on a shit team. Just as it is in beer league.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
1000 pardons, he had 1 ok season, followed by bad coaching for 4+ seasons. DJ Smith was a rookie coach last year, with terrible roster, yet they beat us out by 23 pts for 2nd last because they competed most nights. But by all means, pump up a bad coach who has proven he can't motivate this team at all.

I have never seen such a bad coach defended by so many when he has proven for nearly 6 years he isn't good. Most coaches don't even get 3 years of losing before getting the can, but somehow he is in season 6.
Injuries played a massive role in how bad we were last year. There is no point getting a new coach in until we finish bottoming out.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yep get rid of one of the 4 players worth paying the price of admission on the team.
Be patient these hockey players are human beings and it's hard to compete every shift on a shit team. Just as it is in beer league.

Being a bad team doesn't affect your compete level every game, which it does for Mantha. To improve as a player you have to work hard. It is why a guy like Mackinnon who started off a lot slower than where he is at now, has improved. Mantha doesn't have that motor or drive which is why he will stay what he is. If he had Larkin's motor, I would agree with you, he will improve but he doesn't. Also, how is a listless effort 24 goal scorer(best to date) worth the price of admission? I doubt very many are keen to pay NHL prices to watch Mantha play. On our team, Larkin is the only one I would pay to watch, and hopefully Zadina soon enough, there really isn't anyone else.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Injuries played a massive role in how bad we were last year. There is no point getting a new coach in until we finish bottoming out.

We don't have massive injuries any worse than anyone else this year, so what is the excuse now? Also, we got rid of about 5 really terrible players and brought in better ones and same record and effort as last year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

In the 5 games since the horrific game against Chicago, he has scored three times, has four points, is averaging 3 shots (on net, not shot attempts), while playing away from Larkin (meaning he's often playing with mediocre players). On the season, he has still maintained 57% CF rate at even strength, and has a PDO (89.1) much lower than his career average, and lower than his peers (Bertuzzi 99.2, Larkin 96.1), suggesting that there hasn't been much puck luck in his favor. A certain amount of that can be pinned on "you make your own luck" but there's still something to be said for the fact that Mantha has been playing with Namestnikov and Hirose at even strength...not really confidence instilling. He still boasts the highest 5 on 5 xGF% and the highest 5 on 5 HDCF% of any forward on the roster.

Based on my eye test, at this point Mantha has now played about as many, if not more, quality games as he has poor games, with a majority of them being strung together in the recent stretch. There's a lot of underlying numbers and evidence that Mantha's slow start of the season was somewhat the product of long layoff rust and lack of confidence when performance didn't come immediately. It looks like he's shaken off a lot of the bullshit and started to get back into the swing of things.

We can have a trade discussion about Mantha, but to base it on effort level and lack of performance isn't going to get us very far. Let's hit the pause button here, watch and hope that he continues to play better, and if you want to have a discussion about moving him because you aren't a fan of his ups and downs, and address a need at C or D dealing from a position of perceived depth on the wing, let's do that. We just don't need to be hasty because he hasn't played his best hockey this year. Most people wouldn't have considered dealing him last year when he was the best player on the team; this feels like a little bit of a "the grass is greener" move.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Being a bad team doesn't affect your compete level every game, which it does for Mantha. To improve as a player you have to work hard. It is why a guy like Mackinnon who started off a lot slower than where he is at now, has improved. Mantha doesn't have that motor or drive which is why he will stay what he is. If he had Larkin's motor, I would agree with you, he will improve but he doesn't. Also, how is a listless effort 24 goal scorer(best to date) worth the price of admission? I doubt very many are keen to pay NHL prices to watch Mantha play. On our team, Larkin is the only one I would pay to watch, and hopefully Zadina soon enough, there really isn't anyone else.
LOL you expect these guys to be soulless robots it's not going to happen. Mackinnon went 1ov he's a special player.

Larkin despite his effort is off to just as a bad start as Mantha just nobody talks about because he's a local boy come good.

Just before the shutdown last season I went to the game last year against tampa. Mantha dominated that game completely in nearly every aspect of the game. He had a goal and 2 maybe 3 assists and winning puck battles all over the ice. Give him a team he can work with he's gonna be a mark stone esque winger. Until then fans are going to have to be patient.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
We don't have massive injuries any worse than anyone else this year, so what is the excuse now? Also, we got rid of about 5 really terrible players and brought in better ones and same record and effort as last year.
Same reason Ottawa is such a dumpster fire this year.

Long lay off, condensed schedule so every team's in win every game possible mode, culmination psychological effect of being on a bad team for 5 yrs makes things tough.

I don't like excuses but you have to be understanding also.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
LOL you expect these guys to be soulless robots it's not going to happen. Mackinnon went 1ov he's a special player.

Larkin despite his effort is off to just as a bad start as Mantha just nobody talks about because he's a local boy come good.

Just before the shutdown last season I went to the game last year against tampa. Mantha dominated that game completely in nearly every aspect of the game. He had a goal and 2 maybe 3 assists and winning puck battles all over the ice. Give him a team he can work with he's gonna be a mark stone esque winger. Until then fans are going to have to be patient.

No, nobody talks about it because Larkin is out there giving 100% effort and busting his ass every game.

Reactions: Oddbob

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
No, nobody talks about it because Larkin is out there giving 100% effort and busting his ass every game.
OK but he's still not playing all that well. I appreciate the effort but effectiveness is more important.

Anyways I love both guys and I think criticism of Mantha is a joke a lot of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad