Post-Game Talk: Another blown 3 period lead

CMUshane

Oct 25, 2014
Call up Mantha and staple him to Datsyuk's wing.

What's the worst that can happen? Helm and Richards have set the bar very low.

You want to call up Mantha, a guy who was a healthy scratch in Grand Rapids only a couple games ago? Sorry I'd take AA or just about anyone else, to be honest. As soon as Mantha gains an acceptable compete level over a reasonable length of time, that's when he deserves to be called up.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
No, sorry.

You're wrong. I was never saying that the team was great during the streak.

Leafs vs Wings last 10 games.
5-4-1 5-1-4
23GF 30GF
22GA 27GA

Leafs probably had a harder schedule team-wise too.

That's a very basic look over 10 games, admittedly, but it's pretty bad giving up 5 more goals than the lowly Leafs and only scoring 7 more despite getting points in 9 of 10 vs 6 of 10.

And this means what? Babcock plays trap hockey of course he's going to allow less goals. I'd rated score more and win more thx

We are +3 they are +1. How are we on the bad side?

Actual Thought*

So just to be sure you bring up the Leafs because it is a good idea to look at the team that is dead last in the league/conference?

Are we not staying in games and playing hard, they had points in 13 straight games... It would appear we are doing a better job of staying in games collecting more points and whatever else you're driving at....

Babcock might be coaching the worst team in the league and his influence on them has them in dead last with just 7 regulation/ot wins also dead last in the league by a whopping three games there. Sure they have some games in hand but no Babcock isn't doing amazing things in Leafs land they are among the worst teams in the league and he isn't fixing that anytime soon.

Blashill has the team playing offensive hockey, it doesn't always work out. He needs to get the PP going and get that sorted with his assistants, but since the D bought in we have been playing solid aggressive hockey. It might lose games and they need to cut it out on the third period lead blowing, but they are playing solid.

I don't miss a guy the entire team hates that bailed on us for money... Say whatever you want, I am tired of Mike Babcock talk he coaches the Leafs our biggest rival... Not only that he coaches them at a historic low with no end in sight and he has been such a big difference maker that they sit deadlast in the league while people try to pine for him. It makes no sense, and this is after a half a decade of getting outcoached by in large in playoff series by former understudy McLellan, Trotz and spitting up a three one lead to Q's adjustments....

Lets stretch to ten games or whatever, but for three years Mike Babcock had the most talented team in hockey and he won exactly one cup. Good I enjoyed it, I thank him for his time and I hope he enjoys counting his money in that train wreck he signed onto coach for the next four or five years before they fire him.

Mike Babcock is not walking through that door people, he is gone it isn't worth discussing what he would do. He also actually isn't doing a very good job in Toronto either. They are finishing bottom five for a little while here, lord knows he needs a nice World Cup to continue mythically building his NHL resume with International tournaments. He is a good coach, not the best in the league and not something this team is missing, right now at all in my opinion.

That is hilarious.:laugh:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Call up Mantha and staple him to Datsyuk's wing.

What's the worst that can happen? Helm and Richards have set the bar very low.

Helm? Seriously? For who Helm is he's playing about the best on the entire team for a few games now. And I think he's still a distance from where he was at last season. CRAZY speed and work ethic.

Datsyuk's line was the best tonight (thanks again to Helm). Great to see Richards bury that shot what a beauty setup and finish, that's what I've been begging to see.

It was disturbing to read the backstabbing comments earlier today questioning if Datsyuk is still a superstar in this league, saying he's washed up etc. What a joke. Put your video game down and actually watch the moves Pavel pulls off every shift, there is no player like him on the planet. Same for Zetterberg. The hero he has been and still is, what an unbelievably good hockey player. Yes they've aged, are not as dominant as 5 years ago but never forget they are facing the top stars of our opponents every game, all game long. Criticism of the euro twins is moronic.

Now Nyquist and Tatar- they have a lot more to prove in my eyes. Super disappointing game from them, wow. First of all they weren't skating on the forecheck. They think they're too smart to pressure at full speed? Then the weak passes/clearing attempts from Tatar. Nyquist 5 times just pulled up after entering the zone and dumps the puck to...no one. I didn't see anything of what those two are capable of. I guess Tatar had some great looks in the slot but his shot was off. Terrible game they need to be better.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Richards and Helm each have seven points.

Sorry, but no. It ain't working, and these past two games have not convinced me it will.

The Wings have no secondary scoring, so saddling your best player with one fast winger with almost no finish and another washed up vet with mediocre offense is dumb. It is completely unacceptable to only put up 25-30 points if your center is Pavel Datsyuk.

Pulk is still the sixth most productive forward on the team, and it's been almost two weeks since he played his last game.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That is hilarious.:laugh:

What's more amusing is that you'd read 7 paragraphs and highlight a phrase that references Blashill. Or did you even read anymore than that? I'd agree with TZE that the Wings are trying to be more offensive. The major change I see is the D given a green light to skate the puck closer to the net. That and the defense following close in an offensive rush which isn't that new. I'm not noticing a big difference in styles this season but you could say it is more offensive as opposed to strictly defensive.

The point of the post was to say screw Babcock. He's long gone and I'm glad (as said we know the players are too :)). Who cares what he did or would do. The further Blash gets away from under his wing the more Detroit will creatively expand. Anyways for a 1st season as an NHL coach Blashill is off to a very respectable start and will surely continue to learn and adapt quickly.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Sorry, but no. It ain't working, and these past two games have not convinced me it will.

The Wings have no secondary scoring, so saddling your best player with one fast winger with almost no finish and another washed up vet with mediocre offense is dumb. It is completely unacceptable to only put up 25-30 points if your center is Pavel Datsyuk.

Pulk is still the sixth most productive forward on the team, and it's been almost two weeks since he played his last game.

I've stated a few times I completely agree about Richards. Helm though is starting to heat up. Don't forget only Richards has been with Pavel the 16 games since his return. The first games were them with Pulkkinen then the Jurco experiment (which I said was a huge waste of time). Only the last 7 has Helm been up on the 2nd line! No surprise Dats has 5 points since. I say keep Helmer up and replace Richards with Tatar.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada

Been saying this for a long time now. Mix up that line, move richards off it, and put tatar on it, let helm do the dirty hard work, let the two skilled guys do their thing.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
You want to call up Mantha, a guy who was a healthy scratch in Grand Rapids only a couple games ago? Sorry I'd take AA or just about anyone else, to be honest. As soon as Mantha gains an acceptable compete level over a reasonable length of time, that's when he deserves to be called up.

Mantha has 10 points in his last 6 games. Multipoint nights in the games surrounding his scratch. Tied for third in points (with AA) on the Griffins.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
If mantha becomes a decent pro, and it looks like Aa will be the same, well I think our forward group looks very bright in the future even with the departure and fading of dats and z. Our d on the other hand, oh my.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Another loss, where the quilty guys are Nyquist and Tatar.

Guys had off day again, and then our depth is gone. WE NEED ALL THREE LINES TO BE AT NORMAL LEVEL TO WIN HOCKEY GAMES.

Looks like guys are not yet full professionals, like Zetterberg and Datsyuk are. Our captains created scoring attempts like normally, but Nyquist had his first not until the final seconds. Tatar woke up somewhere at 3rd period.

This game should have been 3-0, 3-1, 2-0 lead before final 10 minutes if those guys would have contributed normally. We had two days off, no any kind of extra grind in the schedule, so it's only an attitude problem.

WTF is that Gus? Too happy for your millions?

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I know. With so many flaws it is difficult to pinpoint which best defines the team. They often get out shot, out chanced. They are the kings of one and done offence. They suck on the pp. They cough up leads constantly. I dunno. They are clearly talented but just can't seem to play a 60 minute game.

Man, if only Babcock was here. I mean look how well the Leafs are playing!

Also they don't often get outshot or outchanced anymore. They have been a much better possession team lately.

This isn't what has happened at all. People have been complaining for a few games now. Getting walked by a tired Montreal team before pulling one out, giving up the W to New Jersey, now this.

The Wings did not get walked by a tired Montreal team. Neither team played all that well in that game, but the Wings were able to respond after giving up a couple goals in the third and take the win in regulation. They also did a great job of locking it down after retaking the lead.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Detroit vs. Buffalo 1-2

Scoring attempts:

0 -10min, 6-3 (Green hits post on the PP, from Datsyuk assist)
10-20min, 1-3

1st period total attempts 7-6

20-30min, 4-4 (Richards scores 1-0, goal is all Pavel)
30-40min, 6-1 (Datsyuk hits post from his own rebound)
2nd period total attempts 10-5

30-40min, 7-3 (Tatar had empty-net chance, this came from Helm)
50-56min, 1-7 (2 goals for Buffalo from 7 attempts. WFT happens in here?)
57-60min, 4-0 (Nyquist had empty-net chance, from Zeta assist)

3rd period total attempts 12-10

Total attempts: 29-21. We outplayed them in every period.

Pavel Datsyuk had his season high 10 individual scoring attempt plays on this game. If something is missing from his production, it's still only puck luck.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Was there any word after the game on what Blashill thought he saw on the challenge?

I assumed it was solely for the purpose of a long timeout, and maybe a 1 in a million shot at something that everybody missed because why not?... but he looked prettcy confused and upset that it didn't get turned over

Actual Thought*

Man, if only Babcock was here. I mean look how well the Leafs are playing!

Also they don't often get outshot or outchanced anymore. They have been a much better possession team lately.

The Wings did not get walked by a tired Montreal team. Neither team played all that well in that game, but the Wings were able to respond after giving up a couple goals in the third and take the win in regulation. They also did a great job of locking it down after retaking the lead.

I actually gave Blashill a bit of credit the other day but this trend of giving away leads has got to stop. I would argue that as a whole this team is underachieving with Blashill at the helm. He needs to be much better than he has shown to be thus far.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Well, that line was actually our best in this game, by far. And Helm has been playing with the most effort of any player lately. Creating tons of chances. But I do wish for Tatar to be put back on that line since it was so good last year.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
B-Rad's expectations are a bit high. The Red Wings' AND this board's. This is a guy that was only .5 point per game with the Blackhawks last season and now he's expected to be what? A top line (even top 6?) player again?

I've been fine with him. He really does make smart plays with the puck and he doesn't turn it over. But you could argue that someone like Andersson does that too. It doesn't make you a standout hockey player. I just don't think that Blashill is utilizing some of his players correctly.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Abby-Zetterberg-Larkin
Tatar-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Athanasiou-Richards-Helm
Sheahan-Glendening-Jurco

Everyone slotted correctly IMO

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Abby-Zetterberg-Larkin
Tatar-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Athanasiou-Richards-Helm
Sheahan-Glendening-Jurco

Everyone slotted correctly IMO
I don't see that 2nd line as something that would look good in reality. Would rather switch Nyquist and Larkin if we want those guys in the top 6. I like giving Dats an element of speed on his line. Helm/AA/Larkin should be on his wing most of the time imo.

Aug 6, 2012
Another loss, where the quilty guys are Nyquist and Tatar.

Guys had off day again, and then our depth is gone. WE NEED ALL THREE LINES TO BE AT NORMAL LEVEL TO WIN HOCKEY GAMES.

Looks like guys are not yet full professionals, like Zetterberg and Datsyuk are. Our captains created scoring attempts like normally, but Nyquist had his first not until the final seconds. Tatar woke up somewhere at 3rd period.

This game should have been 3-0, 3-1, 2-0 lead before final 10 minutes if those guys would have contributed normally. We had two days off, no any kind of extra grind in the schedule, so it's only an attitude problem.

WTF is that Gus? Too happy for your millions?

Once again I think expectations are out of whack... they had one of their worst games in weeks, it happens. They're not robots. Buffalo did a great job of clogging up the neutral zone and Tats-Riley-Gus failed to regularly gain control of the puck on the forecheck which they are extremely good at. On to the next one.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Helm? Seriously? For who Helm is he's playing about the best on the entire team for a few games now. And I think he's still a distance from where he was at last season. CRAZY speed and work ethic.

Datsyuk's line was the best tonight (thanks again to Helm). Great to see Richards bury that shot what a beauty setup and finish, that's what I've been begging to see.

It was disturbing to read the backstabbing comments earlier today questioning if Datsyuk is still a superstar in this league, saying he's washed up etc. What a joke. Put your video game down and actually watch the moves Pavel pulls off every shift, there is no player like him on the planet. Same for Zetterberg. The hero he has been and still is, what an unbelievably good hockey player. Yes they've aged, are not as dominant as 5 years ago but never forget they are facing the top stars of our opponents every game, all game long. Criticism of the euro twins is moronic.

Now Nyquist and Tatar- they have a lot more to prove in my eyes. Super disappointing game from them, wow. First of all they weren't skating on the forecheck. They think they're too smart to pressure at full speed? Then the weak passes/clearing attempts from Tatar. Nyquist 5 times just pulled up after entering the zone and dumps the puck to...no one. I didn't see anything of what those two are capable of. I guess Tatar had some great looks in the slot but his shot was off. Terrible game they need to be better.

In no way, shape or form are Pavel and Zetterberg beyond reproach. Yes, Pav is the most skilled player on this team by a wide margin. That doesn't, however, make him immune from criticism. He needs to finish more of his quality chances.

It would be really nice to see Pav and Z take matters into their own hands and score that extra third-period goal that the team needs to get over this hill. Not too long ago we would describe such actions as leadership.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't see that 2nd line as something that would look good in reality. Would rather switch Nyquist and Larkin if we want those guys in the top 6. I like giving Dats an element of speed on his line. Helm/AA/Larkin should be on his wing most of the time imo.

Larkin looks way better with Z IMO, and the two should stay together. Tatar and Nyquist bring an element of speed. Tatar has shown great chemistry with Datsyuk in the past.

Sheahan has produced offensively like a 4th liner and should be deployed as such. Doesn't deserve to be a top 9 center right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad