Post-Game Talk: Another blown 3 period lead

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
They were completely dysfunctional. I don't even remember a shift where they connected more than a pass.

This wouldn't be the first time they've failed to produce. Honestly, I don't like the combo more often than not. Particularly now that Sheahan is being used more defensively. His playmaking has completely dried up. He can't find Tatar or Nyquist when he has possession of the puck. It leads to Nyquist one-manning it and it leads to Tatar handling the puck more than he should.

Personally, I'd reunite Helm-Datsyuk-Tatar, move Richie back to center, and flank him with Nyquist and Sheahan. Gives both Nyquist and Tatar a true playmaking center and Sheahan can actually contribute offensively by getting to the net.

Yup. No reason Tatar is not with Datsyuk.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is all perfectly consistent with what this team is. They're good enough to accrue enough points to get into the playoffs, but they're not good enough to do much once they're there. I think they especially struggle when a team starts playing defensively against them. They start to push too hard and the puck ends up in the back of their net.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Personally, I'd reunite Helm-Datsyuk-Tatar, move Richie back to center, and flank him with Nyquist and Sheahan. Gives both Nyquist and Tatar a true playmaking center and Sheahan can actually contribute offensively by getting to the net.

I'd like to see Sheahan given a long look at wing at this point. I'm also just not a big fan of his, though.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Heheh. You guys are funny.

In the midst of the point streak: "our team is finally clicking, look at all the advanced stats that prove how good we are!"

The second the point streak ends: "it wasn't a real point streak! we sucked the whole time! It's all just loser points and blown leads!"

hfboards at its best again.

Aug 6, 2012
Yeah the Wings couldn't havehad any worse luck. It's not like they were playing much worse in the last of the third. One bad ice and a lucky deflection and there you go. It's more about finishing our chances, which apparently is tougher than I thought.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014

In the midst of the point streak: "our team is finally clicking, look at all the advanced stats that prove how good we are!"

The second the point streak ends: "it wasn't a real point streak! we sucked the whole time! It's all just loser points and blown leads!"

No, sorry.

You're wrong. I was never saying that the team was great during the streak.

Leafs vs Wings last 10 games.
5-4-1 5-1-4
23GF 30GF
22GA 27GA

Leafs probably had a harder schedule team-wise too.

That's a very basic look over 10 games, admittedly, but it's pretty bad giving up 5 more goals than the lowly Leafs and only scoring 7 more despite getting points in 9 of 10 vs 6 of 10.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Did you guys know that not only is Zetterberg currently playing on this team, he had over 20 minutes of ice time? could have fooled me. Abby 18, didn't notice him this game

He's my favorite Red Wing of all time but he's simply not anything better than average at this point.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
If a goalie plays amazing and his team beats a talented team, I believe they deserved to win. You don't think Anaheim deserved to win in 03?

You earn what you get in sports, by team or player performance, nothing is deserved, nothing is given. Think that if you want, I disagree.

I don't have the time to devote to the Griffins more than checking up here or there, so no, I wasn't calling for his head.

Yes, except there's those guys in the striped shirts that can really flip a game or a series on its head. It happens in sports a lot, actually. I count those as gifted to a particular side. Not saying that was the case tonight, but your statement is simply untrue. There have definitely been and will continue to be gift wrapped wins and undeserved losses in sports.

Sadly, the Wings got what they deserved tonight.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If a goalie plays amazing and his team beats a talented team, I believe they deserved to win. You don't think Anaheim deserved to win in 03?

You earn what you get in sports, by team or player performance, nothing is deserved, nothing is given. Think that if you want, I disagree.

I don't have the time to devote to the Griffins more than checking up here or there, so no, I wasn't calling for his head.
I agree, you get what you earn. Wings earned every single point during the 13-game streak.

And if they keep playing this way, statistically it's likely that they will earn a lot of points the rest of the season.

No, sorry.

You're wrong. I was never saying that the team was great during the streak.

Leafs vs Wings last 10 games.
5-4-1 5-1-4
23GF 30GF
22GA 27GA

Leafs probably had a harder schedule team-wise too.

That's a very basic look over 10 games, admittedly, but it's pretty bad giving up 5 more goals than the lowly Leafs and only scoring 7 more despite getting points in 9 of 10 vs 6 of 10.
Is that supposed to mean something? Do the same comparison between Leafs and Rangers too.

Last edited:

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Yes, except there's those guys in the striped shirts that can really flip a game or a series on its head. It happens in sports a lot, actually. I count those as gifted to a particular side. Not saying that was the case tonight, but your statement is simply untrue. There have definitely been and will continue to be gift wrapped wins and undeserved losses in sports.

Sadly, the Wings got what they deserved tonight.

I believe great teams won't put themselves in a position where a bad call will kill their season. See all the whiny Jays fans.

I agree, you get what you earn. Wings earned every single point during the 13-game streak.

And if they keep playing this way, statistically it's likely that they will earn a lot of points the rest of the season.

Is that supposed to mean something? Do the same comparison between Leafs and Rangers too.

Sure they earned them, but I don't see giving up leads late in the third and losing in OT as a positive.

I bring up the comparison with the Leafs because I see a big difference between Babcock and Blashill. Everyone rags on AT but Blashhill hasn't exactly done wonders for this team, where Babcock has the Leafs staying in games and playing hard, despite being out-skilled by basically every team in the league and compared to the amazing Wings during the last ten games, have as many wins.

Keep looking at 'the streak' as a positive if you'd like. I do not when they have lost almost as many games as they have won.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

This isn't what has happened at all. People have been complaining for a few games now. Getting walked by a tired Montreal team before pulling one out, giving up the W to New Jersey, now this.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I believe great teams won't put themselves in a position where a bad call will kill their season. See all the whiny Jays fans.

You've never seen a bad call determine the outcome of a game? You've never seen bad overall reffing determine the outcome of a series? What are we talking about here?

P.S. Also, points are point. At the end of the season they don't ask how (unless it's a tiebreaker situation). They ask how many. The primary goal of the regular season is to accumulate enough points to get into the playoffs. To that effect, actual points > style points. I've watched the Wings style on the rest of the NHL for about 15 years straight and get only 4 cups mixed in with some really embarrassing early exits. Rather see them make it on "loser" points and go from there, than be amazing for 82 games, then lose early. In a perfect world we'd get amazing regular seasons + cups, but that's too much to ask in today's NHL.

Last edited:

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006

This should be put into a meme.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I'd like to see Sheahan given a long look at wing at this point. I'm also just not a big fan of his, though.

I'm not a big fan of his either. But I wasn't a big fan of Filppula as well. And in both cases, it was because I thought they were capable of a lot more than what they gave us.

With Sheahan, I'm just not sure he has the brains to be able to do it all. When he looked solid offensively, he wasn't anything special defensively. In a more defensive role, he looks lost offensively. And when he's on the wing, he seems fairly dangerous and engaged.

I think you either put him in a 3rd line checking role that offers supplemental offense, a la Helm-Sheahan-AA, or you put him on the wing on a scoring line. I just don't see him as a center between two offense-first wingers. Its one of those ideas that seems great in theory but doesn't translate consistently on the ice.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sure they earned them, but I don't see giving up leads late in the third and losing in OT as a positive.

I bring up the comparison with the Leafs because I see a big difference between Babcock and Blashill. Everyone rags on AT but Blashhill hasn't exactly done wonders for this team, where Babcock has the Leafs staying in games and playing hard, despite being out-skilled by basically every team in the league and compared to the amazing Wings during the last ten games, have as many wins.

Keep looking at 'the streak' as a positive if you'd like. I do not when they have lost almost as many games as they have won.
Giving up leads and losing in OT is what has stood between us and a 13-game WINNING streak. So yeah it hasn't been perfect but for a team not expected to be a top contender we are doing fine.

And I still don't see the comparison to Toronto. So they have put together a decent 10 game stretch. Wow. Great for them. They are still tied for last in the league. Blashill has the Wings playing hard and staying in games (case in point: rarely losing in regulation), and compared to the amazing Habs have as many wins in the last 10.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think it's funny when TheOtherOne makes it sound like "you guys" are the same people. Generally there's always been two camps of "we're doomed" guys and "all is going according to plan" guys on this forum and they tend to be fairly consistent, winning or losing. Only thing is that if we win, the latter camp will be more vocal, if we lose it's the former. So tonight yeah the overall tone is more negative but I don't think it's the same posters going from fawning over the team to being critical of it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

So just to be sure you bring up the Leafs because it is a good idea to look at the team that is dead last in the league/conference?

Are we not staying in games and playing hard, they had points in 13 straight games... It would appear we are doing a better job of staying in games collecting more points and whatever else you're driving at....

Babcock might be coaching the worst team in the league and his influence on them has them in dead last with just 7 regulation/ot wins also dead last in the league by a whopping three games there. Sure they have some games in hand but no Babcock isn't doing amazing things in Leafs land they are among the worst teams in the league and he isn't fixing that anytime soon.

Blashill has the team playing offensive hockey, it doesn't always work out. He needs to get the PP going and get that sorted with his assistants, but since the D bought in we have been playing solid aggressive hockey. It might lose games and they need to cut it out on the third period lead blowing, but they are playing solid.

I don't miss a guy the entire team hates that bailed on us for money... Say whatever you want, I am tired of Mike Babcock talk he coaches the Leafs our biggest rival... Not only that he coaches them at a historic low with no end in sight and he has been such a big difference maker that they sit deadlast in the league while people try to pine for him. It makes no sense, and this is after a half a decade of getting outcoached by in large in playoff series by former understudy McLellan, Trotz and spitting up a three one lead to Q's adjustments....

Lets stretch to ten games or whatever, but for three years Mike Babcock had the most talented team in hockey and he won exactly one cup. Good I enjoyed it, I thank him for his time and I hope he enjoys counting his money in that train wreck he signed onto coach for the next four or five years before they fire him.

Mike Babcock is not walking through that door people, he is gone it isn't worth discussing what he would do. He also actually isn't doing a very good job in Toronto either. They are finishing bottom five for a little while here, lord knows he needs a nice World Cup to continue mythically building his NHL resume with International tournaments. He is a good coach, not the best in the league and not something this team is missing, right now at all in my opinion.

Actual Thought*

I thought getting outshot was the identity of the team?

I know. With so many flaws it is difficult to pinpoint which best defines the team. They often get out shot, out chanced. They are the kings of one and done offence. They suck on the pp. They cough up leads constantly. I dunno. They are clearly talented but just can't seem to play a 60 minute game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad