Post-Game Talk: Another blown 3 period lead

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Earning points in the regular season is a positive. Whether you want them to all be points from wins or not.

You are right, but you expect to see the team build off those loser points by no longer making the same mistakes that prevented them from getting two points in the first place.

Three years later, and it's the same **** different day.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You are right, but you expect to see the team build off those loser points by no longer making the same mistakes that prevented them from getting two points.

Right, and I believe the team has problems they need to work on.

But I will take the points with the mistakes. Better to stay in the hunt and give yourself a chance to improve by the end of the season without having your playoff chances tanked for those mistakes.

I'm also not trying to argue that the team is a contender. Positivity does not mean I think they will make a splash in the playoffs. I hope I don't need to qualify that.

Actual Thought*

Are all the wins in spite of Blashill, or what?

Like Blashill is the coach from Varsity Blues and the team just has to break away from his strategy.

They definitely cannot shut a game down. It boils down to strategy and matchups. Neither appear to be Blashill's super power. If you drop a lead here and there that's one thing. This is an epidemic. It is becoming the identity of the team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We had 8 wins and 5 losses on our streak. It wasn't exactly that great.
We've been a top 3 or top 5 team in the league lately in terms of possession. A big chunk of the team is shooting at unsustainably low sh% and the most random shots go in against us in the 3rd periods.

As long as we keep playing well the wins will come. We deserved more wins during the point streak, not less.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
The one thing I put on coaching is the chicken **** play for the 1-0 win they did in the 3rd.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
They definitely cannot shut a game down. It boils down to strategy and matchups. Neither appear to be Blashill's super power. If you drop a lead here and there that's one thing. This is an epidemic. It is becoming the identity of the team.

I thought getting outshot was the identity of the team?

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
We've been a top 3 or top 5 team in the league lately in terms of possession. A big chunk of the team is shooting at unsustainably low sh% and the most random shots go in against us in the 3rd periods.

As long as we keep playing well the wins will come. We deserved more wins during the point streak, not less.

There is no such thing as 'deserved wins' in sports.

Either you win or you don't.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You stated they 'earned points', which you believe is a positive, yet blew many leads getting those 'earned' points.

Right, but there can be positives AND negatives.

Earning points despite blowing leads should be something positive. You get points and learn from your mistakes.

Arytonblue

Oct 30, 2015
Even though it was good to rack up the points during this 'amazing' streak the only game I can honestly say was a good complete effort during it was Arizona, sure there were good periods here and there against LA, St.Louis, New Jersey, we dominated Boston (but threw it away) and we had a brilliant comeback against Nashville. But overall the team wasn't overly impressive in my eyes, and the ridiculous consistency at which we blow all these 3rd period leads is worrying, mainly because it showcases a weak mental strength, something you wouldn't expect from a team with seasoned veterans and confident youngsters. Team's got a lot of road games coming up after Christmas so they better improve, fast.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Just looking at the way they play the Wings just don't belong in any conversation about the upper echelon teams of the league. They'll probably keep the streak alive but hoping for a playoff run seems rather crazy.

And on a fundamental level, I also start to get the distinct sense that Tatar and Nyquist have plateaued as good wingers but will not be players that will be viable top line choices.

Actual Thought*

This team's PP is the second worst thing I have ever seen right behind Jurco's horrible penalty shot. This team could be first overall if they had last year's PP.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Right, and I believe the team has problems they need to work on.

But I will take the points with the mistakes. Better to stay in the hunt and give yourself a chance to improve by the end of the season without having your playoff chances tanked for those mistakes.

I'm also not trying to argue that the team is a contender. Positivity does not mean I think they will make a splash in the playoffs. I hope I don't need to qualify that.

Nahhh, it's just so frustrating to see a team make the exact same mistakes almost every game.

It happened with Captain Canada behind the bench too, so it's not like coaching was the reason.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought the third line was bad tonight....

Really that is the first time in a while the Nyquist - Sheahan - Tatar line wasn't controlling their matchup. It cost the team, they should win their matchup every night with their talent and the matchups.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
There is no such thing as 'deserved wins' in sports.

Either you win or you don't.
So when we started the season 3-0 despite playing terrible you felt awesome about the team?

It's a long season, points will come if you play like we have lately. Guessing you're one of the people who called for Nelson's head when the Griffins weren't winning.

Actual Thought*

Earning points despite blowing leads should be something positive. You get points and learn from your mistakes.

Honestly though they haven't played more than 3 quality 60 minute games yet this season. Flashes here and there but not many consistent efforts.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014

But they keep DOING it! :laugh:

Blow some leads, lose in OT, fine, get some points.

But they've just done it too often to say they've learned anything from it. Coaching staff included.

PP also is pretty awful.

I think the place in the standings and 'streak' are hiding the warts this team still has. Yeah, they are playing better, but that's not saying much. They may have better possession numbers, yet can't score.

Blowing leads and then losing is awful. Point or no.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
So when we started the season 3-0 despite playing terrible you felt awesome about the team?

It's a long season, points will come if you play like we have lately. Guessing you're one of the people who called for Nelson's head when the Griffins weren't winning.

If a goalie plays amazing and his team beats a talented team, I believe they deserved to win. You don't think Anaheim deserved to win in 03?

You earn what you get in sports, by team or player performance, nothing is deserved, nothing is given. Think that if you want, I disagree.

I don't have the time to devote to the Griffins more than checking up here or there, so no, I wasn't calling for his head.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
But they keep DOING it! :laugh:

Blow some leads, lose in OT, fine, get some points.

But they've just done it too often to say they've learned anything from it. Coaching staff included.

PP also is pretty awful.

I think the place in the standings and 'streak' are hiding the warts this team still has. Yeah, they are playing better, but that's not saying much. They may have better possession numbers, yet can't score.

Blowing leads and then losing is awful. Point or no.

At home it has. Away games it has been good.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I thought the third line was bad tonight....

Really that is the first time in a while the Nyquist - Sheahan - Tatar line wasn't controlling their matchup. It cost the team, they should win their matchup every night with their talent and the matchups.

They were completely dysfunctional. I don't even remember a shift where they connected more than a pass.

This wouldn't be the first time they've failed to produce. Honestly, I don't like the combo more often than not. Particularly now that Sheahan is being used more defensively. His playmaking has completely dried up. He can't find Tatar or Nyquist when he has possession of the puck. It leads to Nyquist one-manning it and it leads to Tatar handling the puck more than he should.

Personally, I'd reunite Helm-Datsyuk-Tatar, move Richie back to center, and flank him with Nyquist and Sheahan. Gives both Nyquist and Tatar a true playmaking center and Sheahan can actually contribute offensively by getting to the net.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This team is painfully mediocre.

Get ready for another 1st round loss.

The whole Eastern conference is painfully mediocre, especially our division....

Washington is really the only team I look at in the East and think that is a good team, no idea how we beat them in seven, but they spit up 3-1 series leads like we do 3rd period leads lately.

The Eastern conference is going to be about who is playing best come April/May, it is a wide open affair. There are no outstanding teams in our conference, the Wings could get just as hot as the next team and go on a run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad