Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Yep, instead he got Alzner/Streit who worked so much better for us...

That’s not really the point if we’re talking about Markov himself. Both can be bad options.

That being said, we were guaranteed a cup with Markov in the lineup, how could I be so stupid as to think otherwise.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Give him 1.5 or let him stay in russia

He can still be useful as nobody can dish it to weber on the pp

Why is that extra 0.5M so important on a team that is about to go 3 straight seasons with over 5M left in cap space.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Man I love Markov and i'd love to see him back for one last ti-

"Looking for 2M"

...hey you know if you want loyalty get a dog

I don't know, I would rather give that money to Markov than Molson's pocket. If we keep the money for a capspace that we will never use, just like the last two seasons, I don't see the problem.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I would bring him back on a one year deal, why not? Like others have said, this is not a contending team but Bergevin will never do it. He and Clode got rid of the Russians because they played cards on a plane after a playoff loss. He wouldn't want the tarnish of Markov to leave stains on the team built in his plug of an image.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Well put. We've seen this record before.

These dog days are a little tougher to get through compared to last year when there were several moves that created some anticipation.

You can really feel some doldrums now that the team is pretty much still the same as last season.
Don't want to say I told you all so but........ I told you all so.:laugh:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
That’s not really the point if we’re talking about Markov himself. Both can be bad options.

Markov was the best option available, because this GM can't fix a hole he created by a trade and can't lure good UFAs. The guy got rid of Emelin, Beaulieu and Sergachev the same summer. He had the option to sign a guy for 2 years at 5M+ or whatever and see his options after those two years, instead he chose to give that money to a broken Alzner and Streit, who were beyond useless.

How can you say it was the right call, knowing that we ended up rushing Mete because of that ?

Markov for two years > Nothing > Alzner.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
So instead of letting the younger players play and progress, you want to sign some old duds just so you can cheer and remember the good old days... seems like dumb planning to me, but whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, I'm sure having Markov as a sub instead of Mike f***ing Reilly is going to doom our young Ds forever. This narrative makes no sense. The only young LHD we have is Mete and the other two are Kulak and Chiarot. But sure. Whatever floats your boat...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just remember Streit 2 years ago ... I was a big fan of Markov, he was really underrated in his prime but at 40, it’s time to move on

But are there any risks to a $1M contract with bonus structured in? If he doesn't work out like Streit, we bury the entire cap hit in the AHL. I don't see any problems with this other than spending $1M of Molson's money where he has been pocking a bunch in recent seasons anyway. Do you consider this a team distraction?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well put. We've seen this record before.

These dog days are a little tougher to get through compared to last year when there were several moves that created some anticipation.

You can really feel some doldrums now that the team is pretty much still the same as last season.

Team at this stage appears to be pretty much the same but why are some valuing the rise of other young teams but our youth doesn't get the same future growth hope? We have been hearing over and over again in recent seasons... "Sabres and other teams who have a young core are going to catch us". Habs have both vets and a young core so not sure why we hold our heads down so much

Reactions: CDN24

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Sign Cousins "It's only 1 year, you can burry him in the AHL"
Sign Peca "It's only 2 years and 1.3M, you can send him to the AHL"
Sign Rielly "It's only two years at 1.5M"
Sign Thompson "It's only one year yada yada AHL"

But the narrative change when we talk about Markov, a Habs legend.

"Markov ? He's done, too much money, too old, can't keep up with the NHL..."

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We already have 5 6-7 d-mans in the team

you want 1 more? seriously

No i want him to finish his career here and play his 1000th game with the ch. Like the real fans are always saying at 1 millions + bonus for 1 year it doesn't cost anything. And unlike them with Streit i'm not saying he will be good. I don't think he accepts this offer but it would be on the table if i was MB.

I don't think giving a couple of games off to Kulak and Mete would be a bad idea. Not sure any of the two can handle the TOI of a top 4 guy for a 82 games. I don't care about Folin. He did not impress me at all. Not good enough for Philadelphia. It should tells a lot.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

You forgot Hemsky and Streit. Both of them were clearly done. And it was a lot more clear than Markov actually. But hey it did not cost anything. 100% agree with you man. The point of bringing Markov back is not to help the team anyway it's to show respect to a legend of this team and let him close his career here with 1000 games played as a hab.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
No i want him to finish his career here and play his 1000th game with the ch. Like the real fans are always saying at 1 millions + bonus for 1 year it doesn't cost anything. And unlike them with Streit i'm not saying he will be good. I don't think he accepts this offer but it would be on the table if i was MB.

I don't think giving a couple of games off to Kulak and Mete would be a bad idea. Not sure any of the two can handle the TOI of a top 4 guy for a 82 games. I don't care about Folin. He did not impress me at all. Not good enough for Philadelphia. It should tells a lot.

This narrative seems only good when MB sign an useless player and they can't defend it rationally.

"It's only x years, x millions, you can send him to the Ahl, he will cost almost nothing"

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Legendary playoffs downer...

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
You forgot Hemsky and Streit. Both of them were clearly done. And it was a lot more clear than Markov actually. But hey it did not cost anything. 100% agree with you man. The point of bringing Markov back is not to help the team anyway it's to show respect to a legend of this team and let him close his career here with 1000 games played as a hab.

This, I don't care if he's bad, we played Streit, Hemsky and f***ing Alzner on the same lineup, we can sure give Markov his 10 games. It's not like he will turn us from Stanley Cup contenders to bottom feeders. We are already a crappy team, with or without him, if he's as bad as some are saying.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This, I don't care if he's bad, we played Streit, Hemsky and ****ing Alzner on the same lineup, we can sure give Markov his 10 games. It's not like he will turn us from Stanley Cup contenders to bottom feeders. We are already a crappy team, with or without him, if he's as bad as some are saying.

We are not a crappy team. Disagree there.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
We were supposed to be bottom 3 team last year and finished 14th.

This team doesn't owe Markov anything either. He could have re signed when he had the chance. Time to move on
Have you been living under a rock or something? Not sure how else you could have missed the whole Bergevin-dog loyalty, take it or leave it, he should have had an agent fiasco and blame Markov for it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are right, it's an hyperbole. In reality we are a middle of pack team and depending of the year, we can make or miss the playoffs by a little.

If our youth don't improve, we will be stuck in the middle of the pack. That I agree with. But if our youth matures and keeps developing well, I think there is an outside chance we can be a top 10 cup contender type team moving forward. Our superstar is still our goalie and we lack that 100 pts guy up front but it's just too dam hard to say how good our age 25 and under core really is.

The only guy I am worried about on a window closing is Weber. We likely have 2 more good years and then it's anybodies guess how good he is at 36 and 37. Not worried about Price for another 5/6 seasons.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

That being said, we were guaranteed a cup with Markov in the lineup, how could I be so stupid as to think otherwise.

Of course you use a fictional argument to disprove an opinion that has never been seen here, ever.

Markov's KHL team, AK Bars, did win the Gagarin Cup the season Markov joined them though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Have you been living under a rock or something? Not sure how else you could have missed the whole Bergevin-dog loyalty, take it or leave it, he should have had an agent fiasco and blame Markov for it.

Bergevin was too cheap with Radulov and I think that was a critical mistake. However, with Markov, the contract offer was right (Chara took the same type of deal with the Bruins). Problem is Bergevin might of gotten frustrated and said things he should not of and the tone of the negotiations might of gotten sour

Reactions: groovejuice

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

We are still paying Alzner 4.6M to play in the AHL....and that's still okay apparently.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad