Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Has-beens or not, this team is bound to a bottom-10 in the NHL this year. Might as well give a candy to the fans and give Markov an occasion to say goodbye.
Of course Bergevin's monstruous ego will never allow it. It would remind him how bad he ****ed up that summer and how the only success he's had with this team so far is because of guys who were acquired by the previous regime.
So instead of letting the younger players play and progress, you want to sign some old duds just so you can cheer and remember the good old days... seems like dumb planning to me, but whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: DangerDave

callmek2

Go Habs Go!
Oct 5, 2011
Probably better than Chiarot.

So funny that the team was terrified of giving him that 2nd year so they gave Alzner 5 years instead and now had to give Chiarot 3 years.

Pro scouting is(was?) a problem. Think about the contact they offered Lucic and then settled for Radulov. After watching him play for the team for one season, they still didn't want to offee him the Lucic money....

Reactions: JoelWarlord

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Pro scouting is(was?) a problem. Think about the contact they offered Lucic and then settled for Radulov. After watching him play for the team for one season, they still didn't want to offee him the Lucic money....
Apparently the Oilers being willing to go the 7th year was the only reason the Habs missed on him lmao

Reactions: callmek2

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Just remember Streit 2 years ago ... I was a big fan of Markov, he was really underrated in his prime but at 40, it’s time to move on

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No disrespect to Markov but he’s kind of old. He struggled a little 2 years ago...

At the end of the year he did but he was still given monstrous minutes. He was also playing as a 1st line D and more than holding his own.

I've not watched/seen any of him, so it's possible that 2 more years later he's had this really steep decline. But if not - to me at 2M$ he's 100% absolutely worth the risk. He's such a smart player, with the type of game that ages very well - and 2M is a bargain. I guarantee he'd still be able to play top line minutes sporadically, and if you can have him on the 2nd or even 3rd pairing it solidifies that immensely (again - barring some super big decline I don't know about)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'd like to see him get his 1000 games, but I doubt he is an NHLer at this point.

I'm the opposite tbh.

I think he's probably still an NHL'er and if so someone as consistent/smart as him is definitely worth the gamble of 2M$. Short of us still giving an offer sheet or a major RFA trade - i'd MUCH rather we take a risk on Markov than go into the year with empty cap space.

1000 games? It's nice if it happens, but i don't really care.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Has-beens or not, this team is bound to a bottom-10 in the NHL this year. Might as well give a candy to the fans and give Markov an occasion to say goodbye.
Of course Bergevin's monstruous ego will never allow it. It would remind him how bad he ****ed up that summer and how the only success he's had with this team so far is because of guys who were acquired by the previous regime.
We were supposed to be bottom 3 team last year and finished 14th.

This team doesn't owe Markov anything either. He could have re signed when he had the chance. Time to move on

Reactions: Victorius

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Where is Juulsen. The kid was doing very well at the start of last season ?

If you want to use the word "sucking", think about Schlemko, Davidson, Morrow, Streit, Ouellet, Alzner... That's what I call "sucking". Alzner is not part of Habs D anymore since a long time now.
He's still part of the D when he's taking up nearly $4M in cap space.

Noah looked solid. But he still should play bottom pair minutes to start the season until he proves otherwise.

Man, if you're happy with our defense, you must think our forwards are the best in the league

Reactions: LaP

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I have not watched markov at all since he left. When he did leave the NHL, he was still a pretty decent dman, and I think people are grossly exaggerating the idea that he was done at that point.

What is the opportunity cost of bring markov in at 1yr 2mil?

The contract is low money, low term, and the Habs have cap space.

Is chariot a LD? If so, he becomes a likely candidate to lose ice time in this scenario or be scratched completely. That would be poor optics given they just signed him to a number large enough that he shouldn't be a part time dman.

To me, it seems like a financial fit, but I don't see the roster fit, or an optical fit.

The timing of this news is also strange. I'm not sure how contracts work in the KHL, but it would have been best for both sides if the markov camp expressed their interest before July 1. It may not have made a difference, but there would be a better chance of this scenario at least being considered though.

The only scenario I see is if markov is comfortable being a spare part LD, who is often scratched. If there are no injuries, then it would be a real task getting him games at all. That's not great value for a 2 Mil player, and for a guy who has made a decent chunk of change, why would it entice him to come overseas for a marginal amount of money, and not be guaranteed playing time?

It just doesn't make sense to me. I'd love to see this on a sentimental level, but it doesn't add up.

Jul 6, 2016
He's still part of the D when he's taking up nearly $4M in cap space.

Noah looked solid. But he still should play bottom pair minutes to start the season until he proves otherwise.

Man, if you're happy with our defense, you must think our forwards are the best in the league

I am not happy. But I am not depressed by it either.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Maybe we should stop counting players out because of their age.

We let Koivu walk - only to have to give up McDonagh for Gomez to fill the hole. Worse player, worse contract and a premium asset given up just to end up right back where we were anyway. Looking for a long term solution at C.

We let Markov walk - only to offer Alzner a five year deal. Four of which will be spent in the AHL. Worse player, worse contract and a large amount of dead cap space given up just to end up right back where we were anyway. Looking for a long term solution at LD.

We let Radulov walk- only to have to give up Sergachev for Drouin to fill the hole. Worse player, worse contract and a premium asset given up just to end up right back where we were anyway. Looking for a long term solution at RW.

Anyone else see a pattern here? Are we learning any valuable lessons?

Markov had 36 points in 62 games playing 22 minutes a night and was a +18 the season we let him walk. The powerplay was also just shy of 20% on the year. The people in this thread saying he was done at that point in time are talking out of their asses.

I have no idea if he can still play, but it should've never come to this.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You know the hockey dogdays of summer have started when a Markov return rumor pops-up.

Hockey dogdays of summer in Montreal now have their very own version of Punxsutawney Phil.

Well put. We've seen this record before.

These dog days are a little tougher to get through compared to last year when there were several moves that created some anticipation.

You can really feel some doldrums now that the team is pretty much still the same as last season.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad