Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Can he still play? He could be a good stopgap until Romanov makes the jump.

Last year he played more than 21 minutes per game, which is way too much at this point.

Maybe he could still play 15-16 minutes a game with tons of PP....and we're not talking about him being a regular either. But hey, you never know...he might have one last run in him just like he could be completely done.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
At 50 years old, Markov is better than anything they have on the left side. His hockey IQ makes up for any speed deficiencies.

So why was Corey Locke never an NHL player?

No amount of IQ saves you from cement skates.

Markov was very meh in the KHL in 2018-2019, how can he be good in the NHL in 2019-2020? Legendary NHL player Paul Postma got double the points on the same team...

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
Markov could easily play 12 to 15 quality minutes per game.
If the price and term are reasonable, let's do it.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Bring him to camp on a PTO, take a good look; he may be able to play 10-12 mins and on the pp. if not, no harm.

I’d rather not see him go out that way. He’s finished. I’d rather not see a guy who was as good as he was during our dark years get the Streit treatment, which is very likely what’ll happen. He’s two years older, been out of the league for two years. and the NHL was faster then ever a year prior. That’s not setting him up for success.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
At 50 years old, Markov is better than anything they have on the left side. His hockey IQ makes up for any speed deficiencies.

I'd play Markov into the season with reduced minutes, featuring time on the corpse of a power play. His aptitude with a man advantage is still exemplary.

If he can't stick it out, I'd love to see him as a D coach. Win - win I figure. If he chooses to return to Russia rather than coach, no harm done, and he'd have received the accolades he deserves for his career in Montreal.

He's near the top of most team D records and top ten in some all-player categories. He must certainly has earned his due.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This may seal the deal. RDS is reporting that despite Markov's demonstrated interest in returning with the Habs, the feeling is not mutual.

One of Markov's agents told RDS that he's contacted the Habs several months ago and the Habs never responded.

The foregoing is expressed in the following quote:

Andrei Markov aurait démontré de l'intérêt à effectuer un retour avec le Canadien, mais ça ne semble pas réciproque.
L'un des agents du Russe, Sergei Isakov, a confirmé à RDS qu'il a contacté le tricolore il y a quelques mois et que le Canadien n'a pas donné suite.

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens...A3IgJ92FBxFj7y1doPb8P9Z0wyYkxF7xjqjDiWbOQJaus

Jeez, Markov who represented himself in his dealings with Bergevin when he became a UFA, now has more than one agent.

I'm expecting Dundon to make a move for him. :sarcasm:

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Can't be worse than Chiarot.

I think Chiarot will be decent for us. Like a better Benn.

Why stop at Markov? Let's bring MAB back!!!

Lumping Markov and MAB together is a pretty crappy comment. Disrespectful and shows you probably don't know squat about hockey.

Markov was never fast, not much speed to lose there. Plus Locke wasn't that smart, he didn't seem to be able to process the game fast enough for the NHL.

Maybe as a table hockey skater. If Markov is almost too old for the KHL, he's too old for the NHL.

I personally feel playing in the KHL did him no favours. Skating on that big ice probably wore him out.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I'll always love Marky, but it's the same feeling as Pleks last year. No real point in bringing him back other than nostalgia and familiarity. I don't watch the KHL, so I can't tell you from personal eye-test experience that he's slowed, but the general consensus and logic/age dictates that the definitely has.

The game is faster than ever, and he's been gone for 2 years. It would be similar to the Streit signing in a way.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

Markov was very meh in the KHL in 2018-2019, how can he be good in the NHL in 2019-2020? Legendary NHL player Paul Postma got double the points on the same team...
Not sure that comparing Corey Locke to Andrei Markov is fair. Markov is one of the best Habs' defensemen of all time. Corey Locke was someone people on this board thought might be good for a year or so but he never panned out for many reasons.

Markov obviously wouldn't be great now, but the team's lacking on PMD badly, and the PP was a joke last year. I don't think bringing in Markov would hurt at all, and might even help the powerplay a little bit. If it doesn't, then you move on like we did with Plekanec and Streit.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Such a sad evolution the way things went. Should have signed 2 years back and everything has soured now,much like Subban. Loved him for his time playing for the Habs,but not sure he can replace what is in the system now. A PTO would be the only way to go. He was a real good player for so many years and a super nice guy to boot. I recall years ago he was so concerned about not being offered a contract when it was more or less between him and Souray from what one of his Aunts told me. He really wanted to stay in Montreal,but MB took care of that.

Reactions: Saundies

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
This may seal the deal. RDS is reporting that despite Markov's demonstrated interest in returning with the Habs, the feeling is not mutual.

One of Markov's agents told RDS that he's contacted the Habs several months ago and the Habs never responded.

Andrei Markov aurait démontré de l'intérêt à effectuer un retour avec le Canadien, mais ça ne semble pas réciproque.
L'un des agents du Russe, Sergei Isakov, a confirmé à RDS qu'il a contacté le tricolore il y a quelques mois et que le Canadien n'a pas donné suite.

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens...A3IgJ92FBxFj7y1doPb8P9Z0wyYkxF7xjqjDiWbOQJaus

Jeez, Markov who represented himself in his dealings with Bergevin when he became a UFA, now has more than one agent.

With how Bergevin is handling Markov case, who has been a loyal star, no wonder no UFA want to sign.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
2 millions to Markov or 8 millions sleeping…..

Bergevin signed Steit, Hemsky, Semin and tons of other crap over the years that didn't worked out, that gave nothing to this team.
Worst case scenario, Markov becomes one of them…..not entirely sure i want that either but i would prefer to pay him to be in and out of the line-up than paying a guy like Peca or Folin.

AND….old or not, Done or not, i'm pretty sure Markov could still run a PP like he used to be. That could be a huge help.
Bring him back as the LW of the 4th line. play mostly PP and a few minutes here and there. 7 minutes a game should be fine ad I bet he would still get more goals than Mete did

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada

Thats just really pathetic if true, Bergevin doesn’t owe Markov a spot on the team. But not even replying to a long time hab is low, even for MB.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Between Molson and Bergevin this storied franchise has gone from being universally referred to as "Classy" to a classless, bitter, arrogant and incompetent excuse for a hockey team.

Not even responding to the best defenseman this team has seen since Chelios is damning. and incredibly low brow. It's beyond embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad