Post-Game Talk: Andersson Debuts vs Washington - 3/26 (Feat. Filip Chytil)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
DZRObrsVoAAcZx7.jpg

Free advice to Zucc: Don't be around this freak when he's hungry.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
One more thing.

I love how Chytil is an animal, but that's not the first thing we heard.

You know the guys, he's 6'5" and he's 450 pounds and he's #TOFFF. He doesn't produce that much, but we'll worry about that later.

As I recall, when we first drafted him, the talk was about how he was extremely skilled, put up good numbers as a 17-year-old, and had a high ceiling as a producer.

THEN the tweets and texts started coming in "wait a minute, you know this kid is massive, right?"

He was good hockey player before anyone was blinded by the size.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Andersson plays a pretty solid all around game and gets on the board with a smart play and being around the net. Chytil flashes skill all over, gets a ton of shots off, and notches and assist.

Seems about right...

Too bad about that first period

Reactions: Ola

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
What do they feed these Kids in the Czech? My first look at him in 6 months and you can't help but be impressed. By the whole package. Everything that everyone is saying. Just amazing that he's only 18. So involved and doing so many little things that caught the eye. Wait till his mates get used to him and he gets a bit more comfortable. If we got this guy at 21 hopefully we can get something close again this draft with three whacks at it. Just incredibly pumped at the potential right now.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
went t0 this game and after that abysmal 1st, it was a good game.

Spooner is meh. Kind of like Rick Nash minus the hands... and skating ability.

Vlad is alright, i like him as a middle 6 player (which is what Miller was). Rangers should bridge him for 1 year.

Kreider is a monster

ZIbanejad rough game but still a nice player to watch

The newbies, both were great Chytil with such soft hands, Andersson with great IQ

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Namestnikov is clearly a frustrated player that is capable of more than he’s shown. He looked good tonight, would’ve been good to see him finish in that glorious chance he had.

Good debuts from both of the kids. They both got better as the game went along.

Namestnikov was so good when he played with Zucc earlier and would enjoy too see him on the left wing while Chytil center them. Because they sent the puck quick pace passes and he moved much better in dangerous positions in his two first games as Rangers. But I know Hayes and Zucc have good chemistry too though so not an easy decision for AV.

I would wait to move Nam this summer window just in case he plays better which I believe he do in a better possession system compare to AV north & south hockey.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Chytil in a sense reminds me of a young Kopitar.
He flashes similar set of skills and imagine him in couple of years when he continue to develop and grow - he will also get better physical skills for sure and he has great hands and hockey IQ.

Last edited:

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Andersson impressed me more than chytil. Maybe that’s just in relation to their expectations. Andersson is going to be the Bergeron on our team.

To steal someone else’s point and add my little blurb. Imagine a team with kopitar and Bergeron.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
chytil looks like he has significant room to add muscle too. he plays stronger and looks stronger on the ice than he looks off the ice.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One more thing.

You know the guys, he's 6'5" and he's 450 pounds and he's #TOFFF. He doesn't produce that much, but we'll worry about that later.

As I recall, when we first drafted him, the talk was about how he was extremely skilled, put up good numbers as a 17-year-old, and had a high ceiling as a producer.

THEN the tweets and texts started coming in "wait a minute, you know this kid is massive, right?"

OTOH it's a skill to know how to use your size and strength. Malkin, Jagr would be examples. In a more aggressive nastier way you have Messier, Benn. But what you have you need to exploit. Kevin Hayes and Mika play their best when they use their size/strength to their advantage. Hayes always tries to put his body between the puck and an opponent. Zbad has been doing that lately too but also hitting a lot more in the last month or two. He doesn't have to lay people out but he's winning more pucks and he's more into the game playing that way....and I don't think it's an accident that he's playing better and producing more.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One more thing.

Admittedly, he's also grown significantly in a reasonably short period of time. Heading into his draft year, he was about 5'11, 170. So in about two years, he's grown three inches and added about 40 pounds. That's always a nice "little" development.

But the biggest shift, even more than the growth spurt, is the mentality. His confidence and assertiveness has grown exponentially over the last year or two. There's a growing confidence there, and I think we're seeing the impact it has on his game.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He had a burst on an icing call in the third that I've only seen out of Kreider. Like I said last night, he oozes skill. Just get me two more high-end wingers and a top pairing RD and then let simmer for two years.

Hoping that skilled, potential high-end winger can be Buch. Hoping that with all these younger guys coming in, it takes the magnifying glass off Buch. Maybe he can put less pressure on himself. We know with his competitiveness, Buch can be a warrior. There's no substitute to seeing your homegrown talent becoming elite together.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Well, that went about the way it needed to go. My only disappointment is that Georgiev had to suffer through that first period.

Chytil and Andersson were amazing. Fantastic the way they are both talented in very different ways, the former with the raw physical tools, body control, and elite puck skills, the latter with the buzzsaw motor, hockey IQ, and quick-twitch play. In the not too distant future, it'll be a great advantage to roll their lines out back-to-back. Knock wood, I look forward to watching them play as our 1C and 2C for 10+ years.

Loved the reaction from Pionk. Got undressed by Ovy in the first minute, and like most of the team, was back on his heels a bit for the first period – but thereafter, he played with passion and drive to bring the team back into the game. Stepping up to challenge Ovy every time he was on the ice, driving the puck forward on offense. (Have I mentioned that I love this kid?)

Namestnikov looked good sans the whiff in the 3rd period (which was only possible because of great play by him previously). A solid middle-six addition in all aspects of the game. As for Spooner, he's either scoring or he's invisible. As long as you can sign Vlady for reasonable money, I keep him and deal Spooner.

Nice to see Skjei have a resurgence towards the end of the season. Between him and Pionk, we have two really solid D moving forward. Hopefully Shatty can rebound and be a solid 2nd pair, PPQB as well. That said, for as well (relatively speaking) as Staal has played this year and for as much as I think you need to give Smith a chance to redeem himself this coming offseason/camp, that still only leaves you with 2-3 D who could reliably play on a contender... No wonder Gorton loaded up on LD at the TDL.

O'Gara looked better by keeping his play extremely simple (in the 2nd and 3rd anyway), but that gives me no more confidence that he's a solution as anything more than a 7D on a good team. No different than Gilmour occasionally flashes. Playing the two of them with Sproul and a post-injury Staal... yeesh. (Speaking of which, what was Sproul doing out there so much in the last five minutes?)

Hayes: a couple of early defensive lapses due to playing the wing for the first time in months, but looked much better as the game went on. I worry a bit at the idea of having him as part of the de facto "leadership group" going forward, because frankly I think he's a bit of a chucklehead, but there's no denying the physical tools.

KZF did not get the same results we have seen, but they were as dangerous as ever. Crap, Zibanejad, Chytil, and Andersson at C, all under 25? Wow. Plenty of work still to do in this rebuild, but some of the pieces are definitely already there. As for Kreider, in his case I am comfortable with him as part of a leadership group growing forward, but I still worry about the age/contract/style of play trap coming down the road... It's difficult. Quickie is a great complementary player you can play on any line – excellent to have him locked in on that contract for two more years after this one.

McLeod: stupid penalty, nice play on the almost goal, and all-in-all... why, AV, why?

Buchnevich: I remain one of his biggest fans, but it's clear he needs a fresh start under a new coach. Hopefully only seven more games to go...

Zuccarello: great to have him mentoring the kids now – but it's clearer than ever he's not part of the core going forward. Get some good pieces and wish him good luck this summer.

Vesey is quietly getting better and better the last quarter of the season. Sign him to a cheap bridge deal, bring him back under a new coach – I think he's a guy entering his age-25 year who can still progress and become a solid middle six winger.

Good for Pavelec to come in and play so well. Kind of a lost season for him, but hopefully it ends well and he gets himself a decent 2-year deal out of it somewhere in the league.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yes, and I also see, dare I say, echoes of an upstart Jagr.
Brian Leetch.

Chytil and Andersson were amazing. Fantastic the way they are both talented in very different ways, the former with the raw physical tools, body control, and elite puck skills, the latter with the buzzsaw motor, hockey IQ, and quick-twitch play. In the not too distant future, it'll be a great advantage to roll their lines out back-to-back. Knock wood, I look forward to watching them play as our 1C and 2C for 10+ years.
Came to say something similar. What a badass 1st round that was by management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad