Player Discussion Anders Bjork II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
agree on both. takes a while for a lot of these kids to become steady, solid NHL players.
this is bjork's first full season with all the injuries, so patience is required. fortunately
the management group isn't as quick on the trigger as some folks here :laugh:
Also agree - but I figured the management group would have managed ice time better this year to compensate for kids like Bjork and the vets who were coming off a long post season run.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Same.

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
Ritchie -- Krejci -- Kase
DeBrusk -- Coyle -- Studnicka
Kuraly -- Lindholm -- Senyshyn

Or

Blidh -- Kuraly -- Senyshyn
As of about 25 games ago Bjork lost his waiver exemption. They could send down Kuhlman for a spot if needed though

X-Coyle-Bjork has been bad the last few nights though. Very, very bad.

As of midnight Monday, there is no longer a 23 man roster so no need to send anyone down.

However, 2 things that will play into it:

1) They probably want to wait as long as possible for any callups to save cap space so they don't have a bonus overage carrying over into next season

2) They are only allowed 4 regular callups between now and the playoffs - emergency callups don't count - so they probably want to save those as well.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Anders Bjork learning lessons with Bruins

“I made a bad play at the end that I’d say is unacceptable,” said Bjork. “It’s something the team really harps on, the coaching staff harps on, not going back with the puck. Sometimes you get what you deserve in those situations, sometimes they let it go, but the message there is I’ve got to get that out of my game. The coaches felt it was kind of creeping in a bit there and made a point of telling me that’s not the way we play here. No player likes to sit, obviously, so it’s frustrating, but sometimes it can help you learn a lesson. You remember when you sit. It sticks with you.”

Whether Bjork gets to play in the B’s matinee against the Islanders in Uniondale remains to be seen, but Karson Kuhlman will get a shot on the Coyle-DeBrusk line. Cassidy said it will be between Bjork and Joakim Nordstrom to fill in for the injured Chris Wagner. Nordstrom took the first shift on the fourth line in Wagner’s spot in Friday’s practice, often a sign that he’ll get the nod.

Cassidy could well go back and forth between Kuhlman and Bjork for those third-line duties the rest of the way, just two of several options that have yet to be fully sussed out.

“That’s a great example of what he’s up against if we make the playoffs and have some success, he’s going to see that type of hockey. It was a bit of a learning curve for him (Thursday),” said Cassidy. “(Kuhlman) has been through it. Jake’s been through it, so they have a little more experience with that. That’s why I want to keep both of them going and at the end of the day, we might do it right down to the end if we have to.”

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

“I made a bad play at the end that I’d say is unacceptable,” said Bjork. “It’s something the team really harps on, the coaching staff harps on, not going back with the puck. Sometimes you get what you deserve in those situations, sometimes they let it go, but the message there is I’ve got to get that out of my game. The coaches felt it was kind of creeping in a bit there and made a point of telling me that’s not the way we play here. No player likes to sit, obviously, so it’s frustrating, but sometimes it can help you learn a lesson. You remember when you sit. It sticks with you.”

Whether Bjork gets to play in the B’s matinee against the Islanders in Uniondale remains to be seen, but Karson Kuhlman will get a shot on the Coyle-DeBrusk line. Cassidy said it will be between Bjork and Joakim Nordstrom to fill in for the injured Chris Wagner. Nordstrom took the first shift on the fourth line in Wagner’s spot in Friday’s practice, often a sign that he’ll get the nod.

Cassidy could well go back and forth between Kuhlman and Bjork for those third-line duties the rest of the way, just two of several options that have yet to be fully sussed out.

“That’s a great example of what he’s up against if we make the playoffs and have some success, he’s going to see that type of hockey. It was a bit of a learning curve for him (Thursday),” said Cassidy. “(Kuhlman) has been through it. Jake’s been through it, so they have a little more experience with that. That’s why I want to keep both of them going and at the end of the day, we might do it right down to the end if we have to.”
I love his quote. He gets it. He'll be just fine.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Based on what should he be called up?

Where he was drafted unfortunately is a factor. Also the fact he's played well in the few games he had a Bruins logo on his chest. And he's a RW which makes more sense than putting a LW in that spot over and over again

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Seny has just 12 points in 36 games in Providence. That's the 2nd-worst PPG of any forward who's played more than 10 games this season for the P-Bruins after Pavel Shen. He's simply not earning a call up, so if they picked him it would be purely on potential rather than making his case via on-ice performance. I know stats and production aren't everything but they're really not helping his cause - is he doing something else of enough significance in his game that warrants another crack in the big league? I'm certainly not writing him off long-term, but at the moment I'm just not sure he's demonstrating he has the form to step up.

With that logic Paul Carrey should be our second line center/winger. What has Blihd done in Pro to show he was an NHL player? I won't blow this up into a Seny conversation while on the Bjork board but he should get a shot longer than 2 games and see what's there. They obviously seen something in him to take him as high as they did.

Reactions: rocketdan9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

love the accountability, kids gonna be a good one if they let him be

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

This response from Bjork speaks to two very encouraging things

1- he gets it and is not deflecting blame, sulking, knows he needs to be better

2- Coaching staff have clearly communicated to him what they expect from him without any grey areas

He`ll be fine

Reactions: Alicat

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Where he was drafted unfortunately is a factor. Also the fact he's played well in the few games he had a Bruins logo on his chest. And he's a RW which makes more sense than putting a LW in that spot over and over again

This team only has 1 goal this season, to win the Cup.

Seny has 5 goals, 12 points in the AHL, they need guys who can contribute and earn their minutes.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
This team only has 1 goal this season, to win the Cup.

Seny has 5 goals, 12 points in the AHL, they need guys who can contribute and earn their minutes.

Bjork is really giving Pasta a run for his money with his 9 goals, best he be in the lineup over someone else from the minors who would love the minutes he gets.

I like Bjork and get it's his first year, but he's getting comfortable and he needs to take a few games to watch and know that if he doesn't pick up his game others will take the shot they're given and run with it.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
With that logic Paul Carrey should be our second line center/winger. What has Blihd done in Pro to show he was an NHL player? I won't blow this up into a Seny conversation while on the Bjork board but he should get a shot longer than 2 games and see what's there. They obviously seen something in him to take him as high as they did.

So Seny is supposed to get special consideration because of his high draft number and perceived talent, or his youth? I mostly disagree with that - I accept it's a factor in how you manage players and give them opportunities, but I think a call up still has to be earned by on-ice performance of some sort. Blidh was different because there were strong indications that he was going to earn a spot on the main roster after the preseason before he got injured, so when he was healthy again they honoured that and gave him a shot in Boston, and he's done ok with it.

I don't watch Providence games, there may well be things that Seny's doing that don't hit the scoreboard but which warrant another try with Boston. If so, well and good. But for me there has to be something - i just don't believe in giving opportunities on perceived talent alone.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
So Seny is supposed to get special consideration because of his high draft number and perceived talent, or his youth? I mostly disagree with that - I accept it's a factor in how you manage players and give them opportunities, but I think a call up still has to be earned by on-ice performance of some sort. Blidh was different because there were strong indications that he was going to earn a spot on the main roster after the preseason before he got injured, so when he was healthy again they honoured that and gave him a shot in Boston, and he's done ok with it.

I don't watch Providence games, there may well be things that Seny's doing that don't hit the scoreboard but which warrant another try with Boston. If so, well and good. But for me there has to be something - i just don't believe in giving opportunities on perceived talent alone.

I don't think his draft positionpot earns him a spot either, I may have worded that weird. The fact he was taken so high obviously puts some pressure on him and management really to live up to that potential. He's been given 6 games in Boston, has 1 goal 2 assist and is +1. Obviously not super impressive but he didn't hurt the team and has an aspect to his game that Boston could use on the roster. Maybe not so much now with the the trades made at the deadline but he could slot in on the 3rd line at the very least and give Bjork or whomever a break to take a couple games in. Maybe he ends up being a better fit, who knows. For the record, it doesn't even have to be Seny, I only brought him up because he's a right shot RW with a team full of LW.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Higher hit but longer term that I was expecting. I was assuming they were going to take the 1 year at a time Ryan Spooner track with him. Could turn out to be a great deal, and not much downside as he has proven himself as an NHL 3rd liner I think.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
This is a very good deal for the Bruins. Think about it this way. Bjork likely will play 3rd line LW for the next 3 years. 1.6 million per year for a regular 3rd liner is a solid deal. He also has potential to be a 2nd line player when needed.

Bjork-Coyle-Kase/Studnicka

Looks like the makings of a very solid line for years to come. Sweeney does it again!

Reactions: Estlin and Ladyfan

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The depth in the Bruins lineup is just insane.

What's the cap situation: Capfriendly show $16m for Debrusk, Chara and Gryz. That seems pretty easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flannelman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad