Player Discussion Anders Bjork II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Little high for this year but obviously we are banking he stays healthy and becomes a regular in the top 9. Potentially we could have a real steal by year 3

Cap management will be even more difficult next 3 years than it was last 3 years so its nice to get this one locked down

Gives us a little more flexibilty how we handle debrusk if he decides to ask for the moon

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Cheap enough to move if it doesn’t work here, which mitigates the risk. Good enough for me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sweeney has shown he's top notch when it comes to extending guys from their ELC contracts to their 2nd deals. Just look at the extensions he's put together the past few years for guys going on their 2nd deals.

Bjork - 3 years, 1.6 AAV
Pasta - 6 years, 6.6 AAV
Kuraly - 3 years, 1.25 AAV
McAvoy - 3 years, 4.9 AAV
Carlo - 2 years, 2.85 AAV
Gryz - 2 years, 1.4 AAV
Lauzon - 2 years, 0.85 AAV
Clifton - 3 years, 1.0 AAV

That's incredible value for the amount of cap space occupied by these players.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Sweeney has shown he's top notch when it comes to extending guys from their ELC contracts to their 2nd deals. Just look at the extensions he's put together the past few years for guys going on their 2nd deals.

Bjork - 3 years, 1.6 AAV
Pasta - 6 years, 6.6 AAV
Kuraly - 3 years, 1.25 AAV
McAvoy - 3 years, 4.9 AAV
Carlo - 2 years, 2.85 AAV
Gryz - 2 years, 1.4 AAV
Lauzon - 2 years, 0.85 AAV
Clifton - 3 years, 1.0 AAV

That's incredible value for the amount of cap space occupied by these players.

These players want to play for Boston. Something tells me they're a close group. Leaving for another organization/city doesn't appeal to them. Krug will do the same.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Pretty solid deal. Good chance he out performs it too. Also a very trade-able deal. If it doesn’t work out.

Looking forward to his future both immediate and long term. He’s got tools. Everything I’ve been reading about him suggests he showed up to “post covid break” camp like a bat out of hell.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Even seeing that "reporter's" name on here is annoying after the Rask/Marchand bit but I'll ignore it seeing that great news!

Another great contract extension. The Bruins really need him to take that next step with production but he looked far stronger this season.
What's wrong with Matty?

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Thought he played well last night and has a nice rapport with Coyle. If they could find the final piece for that line it could be good like it was last season. I’m not sure it’s Kuhlman, though he works his ass off, but there are options there with Ritchie, Kase, and even Studnicka (even though he looked good on Krejci’s wing)

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
What's wrong with Matty?
Not that it pertains to the Bjork thread, but I'll answer this for you.

He tweeted the Bruins statement from the other day regarding their plans for the anthem, and how they support BLM/anti-racism with caption "there's this", then in the next tweet posted "and then there's this" and posted a screen cap of Rask in the BPD hat talking to Kathryn Tappen.

It was pretty obvious what he was trying to do/insinuating without coming out and explicitly stating it, and it prompted a very aggressive response from Marchand.

Really childish and self serving of Porter, who I generally think does a fine job.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Thought he played well last night and has a nice rapport with Coyle. If they could find the final piece for that line it could be good like it was last season. I’m not sure it’s Kuhlman, though he works his ass off, but there are options there with Ritchie, Kase, and even Studnicka (even though he looked good on Krejci’s wing)
I think if Studnicka is in the lineup, it's on Krejci's wing.

Bjork I think would work well with Coyle and Ritchie (assuming health), since he'd have the space on the ice to work with, with the other two opening it up for him, but also has the 2-way game to work with Coyle. Seems like a good fit.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I think if Studnicka is in the lineup, it's on Krejci's wing.

Bjork I think would work well with Coyle and Ritchie (assuming health), since he'd have the space on the ice to work with, with the other two opening it up for him, but also has the 2-way game to work with Coyle. Seems like a good fit.
If Ritchie isn't ready and Kase finally arrives, Coyle flanked by Bjork and Kase is downright evil possession-wise on paper. And maybe having a skill guy like Kase in there gets them past simple possession and starts clicking with goals.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If Ritchie isn't ready and Kase finally arrives, Coyle flanked by Bjork and Kase is downright evil possession-wise on paper. And maybe having a skill guy like Kase in there gets them past simple possession and starts clicking with goals.
Personally, I prefer Bjork on RW even though he can play both wings, so I think he'd work better with Ritchie.

I just don't see how they can put Kase in the lineup right now, even if he's cleared. Total wildcard.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Does the fact that we are having these discussions of the middle 6, with no right/wrong answers, scare anybody else?

Reactions: wintersej

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Does the fact that we are having these discussions of the middle 6, with no right/wrong answers, scare anybody else?
If we had Paul Carey and Karson Kuhlman as legitimate options at this point, it'd be terrifying.

It's also strange that Studnicka is apparently answering the question on 2RW, though that's a good kind of strange. That's someone who wouldn't have gotten the opportunity if the season hadn't been stopped due to the plague.

Personally, I prefer Bjork on RW even though he can play both wings, so I think he'd work better with Ritchie.

I just don't see how they can put Kase in the lineup right now, even if he's cleared. Total wildcard.

Yeah, I like him on the right as well. And Ritchie on the left with them certainly has a chance of working.

Still like to see what's what with Kase now that it's 8+ months after that concussion.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
A little bit, but that's also the only hole on the team. The 1st/4th lines, the entire center spine, all the D-pairings, and the goalies are set.

Still, it's concerning that the Johansson-Coyle-Heinen line was such a huge part of the run last year, and now it's a very clear downgrade with guys like Bjork/Kuhlman/Ritchie/Kase.

DeBrusk is inconsistent but he's a solid/good 2nd line winger.

Bjork lacks finish and is a bit underwhelming but is still a capable 3rd line guy.

Kuhlman isn't a guy you want to use but is OK in a pinch on the 3rd line.

The others are just unknowns, but Studnicka looks very promising. Kase has upside as a scorer at least, but to me projecting what he's going to do in these playoffs is like throwing darts blindfolded.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
A little bit, but that's also the only hole on the team. The 1st/4th lines, the entire center spine, all the D-pairings, and the goalies are set.

Still, it's concerning that the Johansson-Coyle-Heinen line was such a huge part of the run last year, and now it's a very clear downgrade with guys like Bjork/Kuhlman/Ritchie/Kase.

DeBrusk is inconsistent but he's a solid/good 2nd line winger.

Bjork lacks finish and is a bit underwhelming but is still a capable 3rd line guy.

Kuhlman isn't a guy you want to use but is OK in a pinch on the 3rd line.

The others are just unknowns, but Studnicka looks very promising. Kase has upside as a scorer at least, but to me projecting what he's going to do in these playoffs is like throwing darts blindfolded.

That's a great way to put it, and I'll take it a step further. I put Kase, Ritchie, Studnicka, Kuhlman, and Bjork all in that same category. That's just too many blindfolded darts for my liking, especially when it's likely that at least 2 of them will play on any given night, and 1 most likely on the 2nd line.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You’re not fan of DeBrusk I take it? In the game thread it was Studnicka you were propping up over DeBrusk, here it’s Bjork.

I really hope Bjork takes that next step, and also realize they’ve been waiting for it for 3 years now...

If both DeBrusk/Bjork reached their potential, I think Bjork would be the better all-around player. DeBrusk would be a better goal scorer, but Bjork better 200ft player.

Reactions: Estlin

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
That's a great way to put it, and I'll take it a step further. I put Kase, Ritchie, Studnicka, Kuhlman, and Bjork all in that same category. That's just too many blindfolded darts for my liking, especially when it's likely that at least 2 of them will play on any given night, and 1 most likely on the 2nd line.

IMO Kuhlman is not in the same category . I just do not see his ceiling being very high. Not saying any have star potential , but IMO Kuhlman is a simply a fringe NHL player on his best day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->