Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Fans are always interested when there are playoffs. That's important revenue for us, for better or worse.
And that's what people should keep in mind when they're fantasizing about following a Pittsburgh or Edmonton model. We've seen almost 20 years under Samueli ownership, we know what they're about. The goal is pretty clearly to maximize revenue every year, and they'll pay to make that happen. We were a contender/within striking distance of contending damn near every year for like a decade, with brief re-tools here and there. A scenario where the team goes through years and years of last place finishes ON PURPOSE is not in the cards. These last few years were not supposed to go this way, it was a combination of poor coaching/a collapse in players' faith in coaching, our top players rapidly aging, no reliable replacements, and an apocalyptic series of critical injuries.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m on the trade Rakell boat but on the assumption they get someone in FA to play in the top 6. there are going to be plenty of Good, cheap options this offseason for us to sign.

I’m ok with trading Rakell if they can get a Top 6 scorer to replace him. A 25-30 (55-60 points) guy would be sufficient and think with the flat cap, can find someone affordable. Need scoring obviously. I feel the D is solid enough when healthy to be competitive if there was scoring and Gibson is on his game.

Don’t want to see them go the Buffalo route and rebuild for an eternity. Make moves that are needed, stay younger and be more competitive, don’t blow things up.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
These last few years were not supposed to go this way, it was a combination of poor coaching/a collapse in players' faith in coaching, our top players rapidly aging, no reliable replacements, and an apocalyptic series of critical injuries.

That's silly. That's one too many factors to consider why we are where we are today. Sell, baby, sell, sell, sell! /s

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
So... something like this?

Rakell - Getzlaf - Silfverberg
Milano - Henrique - Heinen
Jones - Steel - Terry
Deslauriers - Backes - Rowney
Agozzino

Fowler - Gudbranson
Lindholm - Manson
Larsson - Djoos
Curran

Gibson
Stolarz

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA

Jones - Steel - Terry
Agozzino

Fowler - Gudbranson
Lindholm - Manson
Larsson - Djoos
Curran

Gibson
Stolarz

Djoos plays left. So I would assume either Curran or Hakanpaa plays 3rd pair RHD. EDIT. Apparently, Larsson played on the right side last year. If Larsson makes it past ED, I think he'd make a good partner for Drysdale.
Additionally, I think Comtois will be up with the big club.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Jones - Steel - Terry
Agozzino

Fowler - Gudbranson
Lindholm - Manson
Larsson - Djoos
Curran

Gibson
Stolarz
I think Comtois is going to play. But yeah that’s probably mostly what we’re looking at. Brutal 2nd and 3rd line unless a lot of those guys take clear steps forward. Defense has no playmakers really. The goal scoring potential of that type of lineup is about 2 goals per game

Quite frankly, I think this will end up being our worst year or the rebuild. I think with we’re heading for an actual top 5 pick this time. And then it will start getting better

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Djoos plays left. So I would assume either Curran or Hakanpaa plays 3rd pair RHD. EDIT. Apparently, Larsson played on the right side last year. If Larsson makes it past ED, I think he'd make a good partner for Drysdale.

I know Curran's comfortable playing on the right side but I wasn't sure about Larsson and Djoos. I currently have both of them above Curran and Hakanpää on the depth chart so I put them on the 3rd pair.

Additionally, I think Comtois will be up with the big club.

I think Comtois is going to play.

Yeah, I could see that, just wasn't sure who to scratch.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I know Curran's comfortable playing on the right side but I wasn't sure about Larsson and Djoos. I currently have both of them above Curran and Hakanpää on the depth chart so I put them on the 3rd pair.

Yeah, I could see that, just wasn't sure who to scratch.

If I remember right, I think Larsson has played on the right side when we have injuries and plays with Fowler/Lindholm and also played both sides before he went to the AHL?

Also, assuming all can be sent down, I could see Lundestrom play some time at 3C (as a more defensive line) and Comtois and Jones swap time in San Diego and Anaheim. Maybe keep Comtois/Steel together in Anaheim/San Diego as a more offensive line and Jones/Lundestrom as a more defensive oriented/2 way line. When Comtois/Steel are up, play Terry with them and when Jones/Lundestrom are up, swap Terry with Heinen.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If I remember right, I think Larsson has played on the right side when we have injuries and plays with Fowler/Lindholm and also played both sides before he went to the AHL?

Also, assuming all can be sent down, I could see Lundestrom play some time at 3C (as a more defensive line) and Comtois and Jones swap time in San Diego and Anaheim. Maybe keep Comtois/Steel together in Anaheim/San Diego as a more offensive line and Jones/Lundestrom as a more defensive oriented/2 way line. When Comtois/Steel are up, play Terry with them and when Jones/Lundestrom are up, swap Terry with Heinen.

Larsson has played on the right when he was younger but for whatever reason whenever he was paired with Lindholm or MDZ last season it was always the other guy playing the right (which in Lindholms case was weird as he sucks on the right). Think when he and Fowler player together at the end of 18-19 it was Cam on the right also.

Curran definitely plays on the right. Djoos played on the right for Washington Down the stretch and into in the playoffs the year they won the cup alongside Orpik.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I think Comtois is going to play. But yeah that’s probably mostly what we’re looking at. Brutal 2nd and 3rd line unless a lot of those guys take clear steps forward. Defense has no playmakers really. The goal scoring potential of that type of lineup is about 2 goals per game

Quite frankly, I think this will end up being our worst year or the rebuild. I think with we’re heading for an actual top 5 pick this time. And then it will start getting better
ya comtois should be in the lineup. Wouldn't be surprised if zegras and drysdale make it too

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
ya comtois should be in the lineup. Wouldn't be surprised if zegras and drysdale make it too
If Drysdale breaks camp with them, really hope it's just for a handful of games to get the experience before going back to Juniors. No reason to burn a year of contract for a team going nowhere. Let him develop and learn about being the go-to guy in Erie. Zegras might break camp if he impresses enough, but he'll have plenty of chances between injuries and slumps to ride the I-5 express. If he forces the issue by dominating the AHL like Getz and Perry did, I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Reactions: flyersNducks

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What happens if the OHL doesn't happen because of the "no body contact" policy, which is literally impossible. It is literally impossible to play hockey with zero body contact not even in a non-hitting league. I wonder what would happen with Drysdale....?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What happens if the OHL doesn't happen because of the "no body contact" policy, which is literally impossible. It is literally impossible to play hockey with zero body contact not even in a non-hitting league. I wonder what would happen with Drysdale....?

If the OHL does that surely the CHL agreement wouldn’t apply and he could play in the AHL? Worst case he goes to Europe and gets in half a season somewhere over there.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
If Drysdale breaks camp with them, really hope it's just for a handful of games to get the experience before going back to Juniors. No reason to burn a year of contract for a team going nowhere. Let him develop and learn about being the go-to guy in Erie. Zegras might break camp if he impresses enough, but he'll have plenty of chances between injuries and slumps to ride the I-5 express. If he forces the issue by dominating the AHL like Getz and Perry did, I don't see how that's a bad thing.
i agree. Let him get huge minutes in every situation and not burn that elc year 1. No need BUT i can still see it happening. Zegras and drysdale are crazy good

Reactions: DigiDuck

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
CapFriendly says we did not qualify any of our RFAs. Doesn't mean we can't still re-sign any of them, like De Leo.
CapFriendly is the gold standard but I believe they have incorrect info. Stephens recently mentioned in an article that Anaheim had qualified both De Leo and Sherwood. I'll try to dig up the exact quote.

"The Ducks have offered contracts to restricted free agent forwards Kiefer Sherwood and Chase De Leo. Though there is no specific knowledge on the term, it stands to reason that the two have been offered one-year deals."

What I'm hearing about the Ducks' offseason so far

It's possible Anaheim offered contracts below their qualifying offers, I guess.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
CapFriendly is the gold standard but I believe they have incorrect info. Stephens recently mentioned in an article that Anaheim had qualified both De Leo and Sherwood. I'll try to dig up the exact quote.
He said we offered them contracts, not that we qualified them. We likely offered deals cheaper than their qualifying offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad