Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I would wait and see on Gudbranson. Does he continue to play solid hockey alongside a partner that compliments him here or does he revert back to being a number 6/7 Dman?

With his contract his trade value is going to be very minimal until it gets closer to the deadline and teams can absorb his cap hit with us being more willing to retain some of it. So there’s no reason for us to not wait and see how it plays out.

Even if he plays like he did last season for us which was pretty decent I wouldn’t extend him for the same contract he’s currently on. 15-20 points and being solid defensively is great but not worth $4M with the cap being flat for a while.
What I meant to put in my question was if we are out of it at the deadline what would you do with him

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What I meant to put in my question was if we are out of it at the deadline what would you do with him

Still depends on how he plays and what he wants in terms of an extension. Unless he’s willing to settle on a short term deal I would lean towards dealing him if we are out of it though.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Are you guys in favor of trading or extending Gudbranson next season?

Too early to say. Need to see how he plays next season. If he plays comparible to how he played after the trade; we should definitely re-sign him (assuming price tag isn't crazy) unless someone offers big overpayment.

It's really too early to call. So many unknown variables.
-Will he play like he did last season or go back to a 6/7 guy before he came to our team?
-what will his asking price be?
-what will teams offer for him at next year's deadline?
-how are the younger players coming along (as in, is one of them making him expendable)?
-Does Manson bounce back?

Reactions: Paul4587

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Expansion draft is next summer, when he's a FA right? If I were the Ducks, I'd see if there were an agreement (for after the draft) that he'd sign for and if the Ducks are out of it at the deadline, see if he'd be open to a trade and then signing the same contract. Ducks can't (or shouldn't) extend him until after the draft anyways, so he won't be getting a new contract by the end of the season anyways.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I don't see any way the Ducks sign him before the expansion draft.
In a perfect world the Ducks can trade him at the deadline and get back an asset, and then resign him in the Summer just like Del Zotto.

What could Guds fetch anyways? His perceived value probably isnt that high.

Reactions: MilesNewton

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I don't see any way the Ducks sign him before the expansion draft.
In a perfect world the Ducks can trade him at the deadline and get back an asset, and then resign him in the Summer just like Del Zotto.

What could Guds fetch anyways? His perceived value probably isnt that high.

If they pay part of his salary, I don't see why they couldn't get like a 3rd rounder for him. Guds is solid player and at deadline teams look for depth, which is what Guds can provide.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don't get why they wouldn't resign Guds? He's decent. You could expose Gudbranson and if he's what Seattle picks, then at least BM did better than last time. Just don't give him a nmc.
The idea would be that you prefer to keep him vs maybe someone else that could be picked. If he isn't extended and he is taken then he can just go in an hit UFA and we can just resign him then.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Seattle is going to have their choice of Mahura, Larsson or Guhle (and Curran although who knows what he is yet). Unless Gudbranson plays lights out next season or all three of the young guys fail to make any sort of strides I don’t see them picking him over one of the other three.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Seattle is going to have their choice of Mahura, Larsson or Guhle (and Curran although who knows what he is yet). Unless Gudbranson plays lights out next season or all three of the young guys fail to make any sort of strides I don’t see them picking him over one of the other three.
Please take guhle

Reactions: Getz2noone

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Seems like we're in better position than last year, because it literally does not matter who they take. all of them are replaceable.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
What is MDZ status? Any interest or not? I could see him possibly taking a chance and signing in the KHL or Europe if the NHL does actually finish the season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

If we're out at the deadline, then that means we're not even close to having a playoff end of the year run. If that's the case, then our defense has failed. And if our defense has failed, we have two reasons why: 1) our defense sucks or 2) our defense was massively injured again. LoL

If it's our defense, then we sell on Gudz. But that would also mean our blue print needs to be scrapped. I dunno if I want to be that destructive in my mind during the off-season. I'd rather be optimistic while there are no games being played so far.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are you guys in favor of trading or extending Gudbranson next season?

I think a lot depends on how he does next season. He has been a very good compliment to Fowler. Don’t see him being very expensive to re-sign. But like some others said, still too early on that decision.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah unless someone massively overpays I don’t want to move Manson. Even if he’s had a down year or two he still is capable enough of playing tough matchups and insulating the kids from having to play huge minutes against players they aren’t good enough to defend.

I’m all in on moving Rakell though. Tired of watching him floating around not giving a f*** 80% of the time.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah unless someone massively overpays I don’t want to move Manson. Even if he’s had a down year or two he still is capable enough of playing tough matchups and insulating the kids from having to play huge minutes against players they aren’t good enough to defend.

I’m all in on moving Rakell though. Tired of watching him floating around not giving a f*** 80% of the time.
I don't fully agree with the feeling about Rakell as well, although I understand it a bit if I can say so.
I think we need him. In a full season without the injury plague, I think he is needed. He is still a good scorer (I do not think he floats around that much tbh, as a scorer, he is just a bit opportunistic) but he needs good players with him. I honestly think we should be better next year than this one so he should produce more. I know they are assumptions though.

His contract situation could impact things though. If he plays better, we might not be ready to re-sign him and he could be attractive to some contender.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I would agree with you if he was like 10th in points, but the guy was number 2. Give me a break lol
He doesn't drive play, ever. Which is why our offense sucks ass we have very few line drivers at the ones we have don't do it consistently.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
:rolleyes: lol, dude, just be grateful we have someone that actually is putting up points.
I'd be grateful if he put some effort into fore checking and not waiting for the puck to come to him. He's a professional athlete with all the skill in the world. Wouldn't surprise me if he was one of our players mentioned that is more focused on his model girlfriend and playing video games. He could be soooo good if he had the heart/drive/effort every shift.

Reactions: Dmang714
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->