Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
We have been having too many threads discussing the same things, so we are splitting into 4 threads for the time being. Please post accordingly.

This thread is for discussing all roster talk of current players (not trade talk, not tank talk). Roster talk will be deleted or moved at mod discretion. Tank talk that spams the thread will be deleted, continued posts will infracted.

All tank talk goes here : Draft Lottery Thread

All management talk goes here : Speculation: - 2019-20 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

All trade talk that is NOT tank related goes here : Speculation: - 2019-20 Trade thread (NOT Tank Talk)

Reactions: mightyquack

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Interesting comment from Eakins...

So, at what point do these guys get sent back to develop that trust? This is exactly the kind of thing that rushing kids can create. Keeping them here and watching their confidence spiral downhill is not good for their development. This is not good management and looks like Bob trying to force a fast track "retool".

If these kids don't start looking a lot better the rest of the year, and they continue to play here for the rest of the year, I will officially have lost faith in Bob managing this "transition".

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Interesting comment from Eakins...

So, at what point do these guys get sent back to develop that trust? This is exactly the kind of thing that rushing kids can create. Keeping them here and watching their confidence spiral downhill is not good for their development. This is not good management and looks like Bob trying to force a fast track "retool".

If these kids don't start looking a lot better the rest of the year, and they continue to play here for the rest of the year, I will officially have lost faith in Bob managing this "transition".
I’d guess you don’t see it happen until people get healthy. He’s not going to burn draft picks to fill out the roster.

This is quite possibly why that “taking bad contracts” thing came out though. That’s the only way to add roster pieces without spending assets you don’t want to spend on patchwork.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I’d guess you don’t see it happen until people get healthy. He’s not going to burn draft picks to fill out the roster.

This is quite possibly why that “taking bad contracts” thing came out though. That’s the only way to add roster pieces without spending assets you don’t want to spend on patchwork.
I wouldn't want him to burn picks, but I have a hard time thinking that's a valid excuse all year. Reward Carrick and Sherwood while rotating the young Fs. You can do the same with some of the D if you want Larsson to go back.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I always liked the approach of putting a rookie (forward) with two veterans. That's what I expected/hoped we would do based on what Murray said in the off-season.

If we can't do that, then just send them down. There's no reason to have them play through this kind of shit IMO.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I always liked the approach of putting a rookie (forward) with two veterans. That's what I expected/hoped we would do based on what Murray said in the off-season.

If we can't do that, then just send them down. There's no reason to have them play through this kind of **** IMO.
Ideally you want to put 2 vetern/nhl players with a rookie, and the vets should compliment their play style if possible. We really havnt done much of that, injuries have kinda hurt tho.

Reactions: MilesNewton

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I wouldn't want him to burn picks, but I have a hard time thinking that's a valid excuse all year. Reward Carrick and Sherwood while rotating the young Fs. You can do the same with some of the D if you want Larsson to go back.
The D has been rotated for sure. Sherwood was injured for like 6 weeks. We are out Ritchie and Grant, and need probably 2-3 more NHL caliber forwards to get to a place where there isn’t at least one rookie on every line.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The D has been rotated for sure. Sherwood was injured for like 6 weeks. We are out Ritchie and Grant, and need probably 2-3 more NHL caliber forwards to get to a place where there isn’t at least one rookie on every line.
I'm not saying your wrong, but I just can't believe there isn't a temporary solution to getting these guys back for some confidence building without making real trades for crap fill ins.

Bieksa hasn't retired. Sign him and move Holzer back up to the 4th line. :D

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm not saying your wrong, but I just can't believe there isn't a temporary solution to getting these guys back for some confidence building without making real trades for crap fill ins.

Bieksa hasn't retired. Sign him and move Holzer back up to the 4th line. :D
I don't trust BM to not give him a NTC and get screwed in the expansion draft

Reactions: pbgoalie

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
They can't really be screwing with their mental fortitude, right? These guys are professionals. I get slumps and other things in their heads, but I still think we need to chill on signing people except for 1 year deals...we need to make sure we protect the ones we need to in the expansion as much as possible.

And as for the players currently on the roster, I think a rotating send down to the AHL is okay...give everyone their chance to build up their confidence there. None of the rookies should be exempt from that. Might as well keep Sprong up, bring Sherwood up for a bit, and we're getting healthy again with Grant/Ritchie back soon.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
They can't really be screwing with their mental fortitude, right? These guys are professionals. I get slumps and other things in their heads, but I still think we need to chill on signing people except for 1 year deals...we need to make sure we protect the ones we need to in the expansion as much as possible.

And as for the players currently on the roster, I think a rotating send down to the AHL is okay...give everyone their chance to build up their confidence there. None of the rookies should be exempt from that. Might as well keep Sprong up, bring Sherwood up for a bit, and we're getting healthy again with Grant/Ritchie back soon.
These are 20-22 year old kids who are used to being the best at what they do. Many people at that age (or many others) don’t deal with it when that’s no longer the case.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
With San Diego so close by
I’d like to see more rotation of young guys going down to work on things and aren’t here way back

Focus on development. We suck right now and the kids look stalled in many ways.
Start rotating those we can to San Diego, get the gulls a playoff run where the kids can perform while getting looks and evaluations in the nhl

Terry on one leg looked more confident, Sprong seems a bit improved as well (still lost at times but improved).
Just seems the kids are floundering a bit and this season is basically lost

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
With San Diego so close by
I’d like to see more rotation of young guys going down to work on things and aren’t here way back

Focus on development. We suck right now and the kids look stalled in many ways.
Start rotating those we can to San Diego, get the gulls a playoff run where the kids can perform while getting looks and evaluations in the nhl

Terry on one leg looked more confident, Sprong seems a bit improved as well (still lost at times but improved).
Just seems the kids are floundering a bit and this season is basically lost
Thats why most of them should still be in the AHL they aren't ready for the NHL yet even though some should be.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The Gulls play 4 times (including tomorrow) before the Ducks have their next game. I wonder if anyone else gets sent down over the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->