Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't want to cross over into "weird" territory, but Broadcom's stock (and Samueli's net worth) is at an all-time high. And that's an industry that's probably better able to weather a pandemic than a lot of the industries other owners are in.

So I wonder if the internal budget restrictions have quietly been removed. A few of their moves over the last couple years (taking on Backes, taking on Gudbranson without sending any money back, suggest this might have already been the case).

No one ever likes to lose money but I'm guessing part of its that Samueli truly wants to have the team succeed(which still helps him quite a bit).

For this year especially it also helps that multiple guys structured their deals to have lockout protection so in real dollars they're not spending all that much. With insurance covering Kesler's deal they're in the low 60s right now and thats before escrow. Still a lot of money with the possibility of no fans but that helps a lot.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Me too. But I think we can do better than those guys. If TOR lands Pietrangelo which you KNOW they want to do, Nylander has to go, LeBrun has said they were actively trying to move him. If we were to send Rakell back with other pieces, we could fit BOTH Nylander and Shattenkirk in the cap using Kesler's LTIR. Nylander is locked up for a few years and has some time to get to know the system before Zegras and Comtois come up (though MC may be up this year). Shatty fills the gap until Drysdale. It fits.

I've beaten this drum forever but I truly don't get why both sides wouldn't think about that kind of swap. If Toronto wants to keep adding big salaries then they need every advantage they can get and shaving $3 million isn't anything to sneeze at, especially right now. On our side the time is especially right, Nylander only costs $20.5 million for the next four years.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Me too. But I think we can do better than those guys. If TOR lands Pietrangelo which you KNOW they want to do, Nylander has to go, LeBrun has said they were actively trying to move him. If we were to send Rakell back with other pieces, we could fit BOTH Nylander and Shattenkirk in the cap using Kesler's LTIR. Nylander is locked up for a few years and has some time to get to know the system before Zegras and Comtois come up (though MC may be up this year). Shatty fills the gap until Drysdale. It fits.

Nylander is the one forward I hope Murray is somehow targeting

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
If we do sign a fa defenseman, are we signing them just to expose them in the expansion draft?

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
If we do sign a fa defenseman, are we signing them just to expose them in the expansion draft?

There's a lot you could do. A 1 year deal wouldn't matter. Even if the player gets chosen, Anaheim gets back its cap-space. Seattle may not even want that particular player.

Reactions: MCB

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
There's a lot you could do. A 1 year deal wouldn't matter. Even if the player gets chosen, Anaheim gets back its cap-space. Seattle may not even want that particular player.

If we acquired Barrie he might not even mind being exposed to a Seattle selection seeing as he is from Victoria BC

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I just don't see us spending big on a winger if we spend big on RHD. Hope we do, but right now I'm thinking we'd sign forwards in that price range. Would love to be wrong though.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So, Ducks have 4.4 million to spend plus the 6.8 million they can spend up to from Kesler on the LTIR? I still don’t understand how the LTIR cap relief works, lol.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The LTIR space only kicks in if we spend to the cap. If we don't, then it doesn't exist.

If they are going after Barrie think it would likely be more than Shattenkirk, and would have to use some of that LTIR money. I see Shattenkirk being offered a 2 year deal @ 3.5-4 Million. So would not need the LTIR money.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
As things stand, we have a decent blend of established guys (Getzlaf, Silf, Rico, Rakell), young vets (Heinen, Milano) and kids (Terry, Steel and one of Comtois/Jones) to make up the top 9. We could balance things out by having one kid and two "vets" per line, for example:

Comtois - Getzlaf - Rakell
Heinen - Henrique - Terry
Milano - Steel - Silf

But I think with the Grant line able to take on much heavier usage minutes than your average 4th line, we are able to properly insulate a "kid line" as a third scoring unit getting heavy offensive usage.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
So if CapFriendly is correct, after signing Shattenkirk, the Ducks are over the 81.5 mil cap a little bit. The part I noticed is the Ducks are only paying about 69.5 mil in actual salary and that includes Kesler’s entire 6.68 mil contract. If 80% is insured as is assumed, you can lop off another 5.34 mil from Kesler’s contract meaning the Ducks are only paying just over 64 mil in actual money.

Ducks have a bunch of players making significantly less in actual salary this season versus their cap hit.

I find that rather interesting and don’t know why lol.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If we don’t make anymore moves this is my current forward lineup

Rakell Getzlaf X (somewhat sheltered offensive line)
Heinen Henrique Silfverberg (takes defensive minutes)
X Steel X (extremely sheltered line used in offensive situations)
Deslauriers Grant Rowney (Does second most amount of defensive heavy lifting)
Backes 13th forward

Competing for the X spots would be Terry (all but guaranteed one of the spots, ideally at first line RW if they can develop chemistry), Comtois, Milano, Jones and Zegras. I get the feeling I’m forgetting someone still...

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If we don’t make anymore moves this is my current forward lineup

Rakell Getzlaf X (somewhat sheltered offensive line)
Heinen Henrique Silfverberg (takes defensive minutes)
X Steel X (extremely sheltered line used in offensive situations)
Deslauriers Grant Rowney (Does second most amount of defensive heavy lifting)
Backes 13th forward

Competing for the X spots would be Terry (all but guaranteed one of the spots, ideally at first line RW if they can develop chemistry), Comtois, Milano, Jones and Zegras. I get the feeling I’m forgetting someone still...

I'd like to have Heinen and Silf on separate lines. Both are our best defensive forwards in the top-9. We were a more balanced team with acquiring Heinen. Terry cannot be on the same line with Getz because both like to hold onto the puck as are always looking to pass.

We could have a Backes-Steel-Terry line just so we can bring back the "two kids and a goat" line.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
At this time is prefer:
Heinen-Getz-Rakell
Milano-Rico-Terry
Jones/MC-Steel-Silf
Deslouries-Grant-Rowney
Scrstched:
Backes
Angezzino

Oct 18, 2011
Spots for young forwards are drying up. Steel needs to step up or Lundestrom is going to steal the 3c spot.

Forwards with 1 way deals:
Getzlaf
Henrique
Silf
Rakell
Heinen
Backes
Grant
Rowney
NDL
Milano
Terry

Barring any unforseen circumstances they will all be on the team so that leaves 2 spots. Steel seems likely but if he doesn't have a good camp Lundestrom could steal the 3c spot

That leaves 1 opening for Jones or Comtois or someone else

Defense on 1 way deals
Fowler
Lindholm
Manson
Shattenkirk
Djoos
Curran
Larsson

This will likely be our 7. Curran is waiver exempt.

Reactions: Quack

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I don't want to cross over into "weird" territory, but Broadcom's stock (and Samueli's net worth) is at an all-time high. And that's an industry that's probably better able to weather a pandemic than a lot of the industries other owners are in.

So I wonder if the internal budget restrictions have quietly been removed. A few of their moves over the last couple years (taking on Backes, taking on Gudbranson without sending any money back) suggest this might have already been the case.

I'm not saying your wrong - because I truly don't know - but do the Sameulis even own a significant amount of Broadcom stock anymore? Company was sold and based on what little information I could find, I don't think much of their wealth is tied to the stock.

No one ever likes to lose money but I'm guessing part of its that Samueli truly wants to have the team succeed(which still helps him quite a bit).

For this year especially it also helps that multiple guys structured their deals to have lockout protection so in real dollars they're not spending all that much. With insurance covering Kesler's deal they're in the low 60s right now and thats before escrow. Still a lot of money with the possibility of no fans but that helps a lot.

I think a lot of players are structuring their deals for less in 2020-21 because they perceive a significant risk that salaries will be cut if games can't be played and/or fans can't attend. The MLB players and owners cut a deal - wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the NHL next year as well.

Separate issue but directly related to hockey losses. The Samuelis/ducks are heavily invested in local hockey, including the new facility in Irvine and many other hockey rinks. Those facilities must also be bleeding money as well.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Hey everyone, long time no talk! Hope everyone's been doing well during these weird times. Thought I'd summarize some of my thoughts.
  • I'm fairly excited about Shattenkirk, but sort of sad to see Gudbranson go. Thought Guddy did a pretty decent job for us and I like how articulate he is.
  • Pretty cool that Cam and Shat are friends, maybe that'll translate to some good chemistry.
  • Personally very happy that Grant is back. He's shown more versatility and stability than many of our higher-paid players. Subbed in surprisingly well when Getz was out and he played on the 1st line, and you can't really say that about many 4Cs. Responsible, scores at a good clip for his role...I 100% believe he deserves his contract.
  • Definitely excited about next season. Want to see a full, healthy roster, to get a better chance to really see some of our newer players in the midst of a full cast of players, including Heinen, Djoos and Milano.
  • All of the above also really gives me conflicted feelings about the roster. It feels like we have so many 1-way contract players and not enough space to try out some of the kids we might want to try out / give a longer look. It feels like now is the time to really give some of them (Comtois, Lundestrom, Mahura, etc.) a chance to stick.
  • Do some of you think we're going to be doing some trades before the season starts? Clean up the roster a bit and get more picks?
My preferred lines based on the current options:
  1. Milano / Getz / Raks (put Raks on right since he's right-handed, try Milano)
  2. Heinen / Rico / Silf (2-way line)
  3. Jones / Steel / Terry (sheltered, one more chance to make this stick)
  4. Des / Grant / Rowney (reliable)
  • Lindholm / Manson
  • Fowler / Shat
  • Djoos / I don't know (Larsson / Hak / Guhle / whatever)

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry should be with Rico, they showed great chemistry

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Rico is our 2nd best scorer after Ricky, him and Terry should be glued to each other. Getzlaf and Rakell should still play together as well, IMO.

Reactions: Mr Rogers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad