Matthew Rempe’s hit on Trevor Van Riemsdyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
In regular season that's 2 min minor. In the playoffs however when late huts suddenly turn acceptable this should be too. There is 30 hits every game when player hits opponent later than this Rempe hit.

Refs are just human too. They see Rempe and think of every thing he does the worst way possible.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I’ve never fully understood how charging gets called. Now I know this was interference, but if I had to pick a clip out of a lineup of videos, this is what I assume would be charging. Guess I still don’t understand it lol

My hypothesis is that the referee's eyes were not directly on the hit (though I don't know why), heard a hard collision (possibly seeing it out of the corner of his eye) and felt he had to call something. I said in the GDT that I could see an argument for charging since on the replay I counted four strides that Matt Rempe took in order to deliver the hit. However, he did seem to hold up by coasting into the collision. I know from personal experience as a referee that charging in the sense of taking three or more "fast strides" to deliver a hit is pretty difficult to police, and he didn't leave his feet to deliver the hit either, so charging was out. The referee then went with interference in an effort to keep control of the game.

Just my food for thought.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I’ve never fully understood how charging gets called. Now I know this was interference, but if I had to pick a clip out of a lineup of videos, this is what I assume would be charging. Guess I still don’t understand it lol

If he skates from an unreasonable distance for the sole reason of engaging in a hit that's charging. That said, is there a good angle that shows this? My first thought was charging too, but who knows.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Refs doing their best to protect the caps from PO hockey, what a beauty of a hit. And then wilson cosplaying dropping the gloves against Rempe on a long shift and back to back Rangers icing while Rempe is gasping for air. How come willy never tried again the rest of the game?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
While Hrudey and Bieksa on the Sportsnet panel each thought it should have been 5 :laugh:
The Canadian panel over at Sportsnet thinking it's dirty while the 'Muricans think it's fine. Blasphemy?

Absurd take.
No, it's the correct take. Just because you are big, doesn't give you liberty to not abide the rules.

But Rempe didn't break any rules. The head wasn't the principle point of contact even in that hit.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This is like Aaron Judge getting called strikes on pitches below his knees.

Feet on the ice, elbow tucked in, not late. This hit happens 10 times a game but because Rempe is 6 inches and 50 pounds bigger than everyone else, it seems worse and the refs call it.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Ladies and gentlemen, it's 2024. You don't get to "finish your check" like this anymore. Especially when it's 100% predatory, like this hit. I want hockey players to have long, healthy careers. I want them to not die before their time from CTE. That's why hockey is eliminating this shit from the game.
This hit literally happens 10x a night across the league. You can’t penalize a guy because he is just bigger and hits harder.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
All those capital fans who acted so tough when Tom Wilson would do Tom Wilson things all of a sudden have turned the other cheek. Shocking! Now rangers fans treat Rempe hits like Caps fans treated Wilson hits and Caps fans are learning it’s not so fun when the rabbit gets the gun

tbh this is karma for all the running around they’ve done over the last 5-10 years or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad