Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PIT] Marcus Pettersson for Daniel Sprong

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Couldn’t disagree more. Trading a guy who was widely considered an A or A- wing prospect for a run-of-the-mill 4-6 D man is not good asset management. Also, you can speculate that Sprongs value would not have gotten hire, but obviously we will never know. Perhaps pens suffer an rash of injuries and Sprong moves up lineup and produces?

What seems almost certain is that if the pens moved Sprong earlier they would have gotten quite a bit more than a guy like Petterson.

I guess it all comes down to what you value. They both are about the same age and 2nd round picks although Pettersson much higher at 38th pick. Defenseman take longer to develop and Pettersson has already performed well in his first 56 games with 10 points and a +12. He looks like a sure NHL player with a decent upside of a second pairing player.

Sprong has not established himself as an NHL player and was getting benched while players like Garret Wilson played over him. In games he did play he didn’t look good. All the people judging him off of a 5 game stretch could look very stupid by the end of the season. I still think this kid could be a bust. Even if Sprong does become a 20+ goal scoring winger in the future I still don’t think that is worth anymore than a 2nd pairing defenseman. That is just my opinion of defenseman and centers being more valuable than wingers. Of course we have exceptions but a one dimensional scoring winger does not get you a top pairing defenseman unless they are one of they top wingers in the game like Kessel. I don’t see Sprong in that class even if he developed perfectly.

So if Pettersson develops into a solid 2nd pairing defenseman the Pens can’t lose this deal.

I could see your point if the Pens traded Sprong for an aging rental or something like that. Pettersson is more valuable for our team in the short term and his upside does not hurt us in the future either. I really don’t see this trade as a sure win for the Ducks. Could be a win win trade in which the Pens get a reliable 2nd pairing defenseman and the Ducks get a decent scoring winger. I like Pettersson reaching that level better than Sprong meeting his upside but time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Can't both teams win a trade once in a while? Pittsburgh got what they wanted and the Ducks did the same. Seems like that is the very definition of a solid hockey trade. Both fan bases should be happy today. A year or two from now? who knows...we can revisit the trade then and compare notes.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Ducks are quite good at finding win-win trades (granted some of below are due to drafting well):

This one (while too early, I feel it'll work out well for both teams)
Vatanen - Henrique
Andersen - Steel,Comtois (plus running with Gibson seems an excellent choice)
Palmieri - Mahura (Devils win at moment, but I think Mahura will become a very solid OFD in coming years)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ducks are quite good at finding win-win trades (granted some of below are due to drafting well):

This one (while too early, I feel it'll work out well for both teams)
Vatanen - Henrique
Andersen - Steel,Comtois (plus running with Gibson seems an excellent choice)
Palmieri - Mahura (Devils win at moment, but I think Mahura will become a very solid OFD in coming years)

Basically every Penguins-Ducks trade in recent years has been win-win. Both the Despres/Lovejoy and Perron/Hagelin trades fit into win-win categories, even though the Ducks didn't get much long term success out of those guys (injuries with Despres and Perron walking as a UFA).

Hell, even the Kunitz-Whitney trade ended up a win-win deal. The Ducks got a season out of Whitney playing #1D minutes and putting up solid numbers, and then they swapped him for Visnovsky, who was incredible in 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 for them and solid in 2011-2012 for the Ducks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duck Off

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
how is Kessel not a need for a bottom 5 scoring team
At the expense of Lindholm or manson…. yeah its not a need. Currently 1 of the hottest team in the nhl… despite the fact that we struggle offensively.

Lindholm Manson and Gibson have a lot to do with that.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Meh, they traded a scoring wing prospect that didn’t have a place on the team for a middle pairing D prospect. I don’t think the move is weird at all.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Penguins fans finally starting to see the Ruthford wierd d-man moves.

JR can f*** up from here on out and he will still have been a major success for the Pens. Shero and Bylsma almost flushed away Crosby and Malkin’s careers, and now thanks in large part to JR, their legacies have been cemented as all time greats with the rings to match their respective talents.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
So not only does Anaheim have good amateur scouting but their pro-level scouting has been very good too.

Less so then amateur scouting.

They have had some real bad signings over the years, but they are just shit like giving a #6 defensemen too much money or years. Not signing a UFA mega deal.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Can't both teams win a trade once in a while? Pittsburgh got what they wanted and the Ducks did the same. Seems like that is the very definition of a solid hockey trade. Both fan bases should be happy today. A year or two from now? who knows...we can revisit the trade then and compare notes.

Right? Apparently it's not enough to have a trade go well for your team. Apparently you also have to win the trade. Everybody wants a win-win trade but apparently only if your team wins more. :rolleyes:

Apr 9, 2009
USA
At this point it looks like the Penguins got back a warm body for Sprong.

So you haven't watched any of the games. Pettersson has been very solid and stabilized the second pair. What are you talking about? At this point, the Penguins are very happy outside of the Daniel Sprong Fanclub.

Daniel Sprong wasn't even a warm body on this team anyways.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
So you haven't watched any of the games. Pettersson has been very solid and stabilized the second pair. What are you talking about? At this point, the Penguins are very happy outside of the Daniel Sprong Fanclub.

He looks like a #6, which the Penguins already have 3 others of.

It doesn't come across well when you call people you disagree with part of a "fanclub."

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He looks like a #6, which the Penguins already have 3 others of.

It doesn't come across well when you call people you disagree with part of a "fanclub."

They have a 40+ page, 1000+ reply thread in the Pens forum about Sprong after the trade. If that isn't a fanclub, I'm not sure what to call it. Nice strawman, though.

Pettersson looks better than a 6. Watch the games man.

btw, I said this in this very thread. I'm anything but a Sprong hater. I want the guy to do well.

I've been pretty happy with Pettersson. He's done more in Pittsburgh than Sprong would have done by looking at our RW situation.

Glad he's doing well out there. Might be one of those win/win trades.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
At the expense of Lindholm or manson…. yeah its not a need. Currently 1 of the hottest team in the nhl… despite the fact that we struggle offensively.

Lindholm Manson and Gibson have a lot to do with that.
The price doesnt change that Kessels type - scoring forwards - is a need for Anaheim

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

In his last 5 games his minutes among Pens D are:
5th most
6th
4th
6th
6th

9 D have suited up for PIT this year. He's 8th in TOI/60.
He's #1 of the D in offensive zone starts(meaning he's incredibly sheltered). Despite that he's last of all the Dmen in FF% REL.

Again, I like him and I hope he makes it. You can say that he's a decent bottom pairing guy who MAYBE has a chance to be more. But no, he hasn't solidified the 2nd pair at this point, unless 2nd pairing D are used less than 5 other D and are not trusted to start in their own ends.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well it was their first game against each other and I think both players had really strong games. Sprong got an assist after he created a rebound with his shot on the powerplay and Pettersson looked very engaged both offensively and defensively, leading the Penguins in shot attempts and doing great at limiting chances against.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Meh, they traded a scoring wing prospect that didn’t have a place on the team for a middle pairing D prospect. I don’t think the move is weird at all.

High end wise...

Sprong has 1st line scoring potential in him and he's being used in the correct way to draw that back out of him after Sullivan & Co tried to beat it out of him.

Pettersson, he does nothing spectacular, he at best might be a solid #4 for us.

But young cost controlled wingers are hard to come by with that kind of talent and we lost one for Kessel and then gave this one away to add another defenseman that we didn't need if our coach didn't beef with Cole like a moron.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I have no doubt that Pettersson we be more valuable in the short term to the Pens than Sprong would have been. However, it is very poor logic to deduce that it was a smart or good trade by the pens.

It is all about asset management and moving a prospect like sprong when the did, for who they did, is not unlike selling Tesla stock when it is down 20%.
They either blew it by not selling him earlier, or by not holding onto him/putting in a position to succeed and then selling him when he didn’t look like the team peria.

Far far too soon to say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad