Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PIT] Marcus Pettersson for Daniel Sprong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like him as a prospect, and have, but his offense is never going to be anything at all, which means at best he is a shutdown guy. But he has a lot of work to do both physically and mentally. If you look at both "ceiling" and "likelihood" and "realistic upside", Sprong is the better bet. Sprong has flaws as well to be sure but I think his odds of being a 2nd liner a whole lot better than Pettersson's being a 2nd pairing D.

I have no idea how you think Sprong is more likely to reach his upside than Pettersson is. Like that's a huge reach considering the massive flaws in Sprong's game. Sprong definitely has a higher upside, but if he's not constantly producing, he's going to be a net negative for your team. He has huge bust potential because he's not going to be an NHLer if he's not producing at a somewhat consistent rate.

Pettersson is a much safer prospect because he's a safe player type and is definitely NHL caliber. Sprong alternates between producing and actively hurting his team.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
Yes. We have Guentzel, Hornqvist, Kessel, Pearson, Simon, and Rust who have all been fine in the top six. Wingers are an easily replicated commodity, plus Sprong’s style of holding onto to the puck did not mesh with Sid and Geno.

As with 95% of the trades between the Ducks and the Pens over the past couple years looks like a win win.

When Shultz returns who sits?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I have no idea how you think Sprong is more likely to reach his upside than Pettersson is. Like that's a huge reach considering the massive flaws in Sprong's game. Sprong definitely has a higher upside, but if he's not constantly producing, he's going to be a net negative for your team. He has huge bust potential because he's not going to be an NHLer if he's not producing at a somewhat consistent rate.

Pettersson is a much safer prospect because he's a safe player type and is definitely NHL caliber. Sprong alternates between producing and actively hurting his team.

Time to let it go...Sprong is playing much differently for Anaheim than he did in Pittsburgh. He is a 21 year-old getting top 6 minutes on a very good team. How many other 21 year-olds can say that? He's been effective for what he is. Pittsburgh got what they wanted and the Ducks got what they wanted. Both teams win. Is that so bad?

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Time to let it go...Sprong is playing much differently for Anaheim than he did in Pittsburgh. He is a 21 year-old getting top 6 minutes on a very good team. How many other 21 year-olds can say that? He's been effective for what he is. Pittsburgh got what they wanted and the Ducks got what they wanted. Both teams win. Is that so bad?

Sprong being traded doesn't magically mean his flaws are going to go away. I'm not saying this to bash Sprong, I'm being reasonable about the problems he has as a player. Nothing I said was false or intended as sour grapes at Sprong, it's just a fact. He's an all-offense player that doesn't offer anything outside of his offense, so if he's not producing, he's going to be hurting your team.

It's why the comment that Sprong is a lot more likely to hit is potential is a reach, because Sprong has massive boom/bust potential unless he fixes the issues in his game. Pettersson doesn't have that boom/bust potential, the worst case scenario is a #5 defenseman.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Ducks are a “very good team” now eh?

How about the Ducks have “the best goalie in the game right now” and he’s hiding a lot of that rosters flaws.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ducks are a “very good team” now eh?

How about the Ducks have “the best goalie in the game right now” and he’s hiding a lot of that rosters flaws.

8-2 in their last 10 and the 9th best record in the league is "pretty good" in my book. Having a good goalie helps but the team is pretty deep at all positions despite still missing some key players including two top wingers in Rakell and Perry.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
The Penguins have had trouble developing and utilizing young, high-ceiling wingers forever. Sprong is just the latest in a long line. Most of the in-house guys who have come up big for the Penguins at wing recently (Rust, Guentzel, to a lesser extent Sheary) have been less conspicious guys from the third round or later.

Good for Anaheim if he pans out.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Sprong being traded doesn't magically mean his flaws are going to go away. I'm not saying this to bash Sprong, I'm being reasonable about the problems he has as a player. Nothing I said was false or intended as sour grapes at Sprong, it's just a fact. He's an all-offense player that doesn't offer anything outside of his offense, so if he's not producing, he's going to be hurting your team.

It's why the comment that Sprong is a lot more likely to hit is potential is a reach, because Sprong has massive boom/bust potential unless he fixes the issues in his game. Pettersson doesn't have that boom/bust potential, the worst case scenario is a #5 defenseman.

Sigh...I never said he was a complete player. Most players aren't especially at 21 years old. In a perfect world he would have spent this year in the AHL and been ready to be a more rounded full-time NHLer next year. But Pittsburgh screwed that up and now the Ducks will hopefully benefit. He is definitely not the reincarnation of Brandon Pirri. I'll go out on a limb and say he scores 25-30 next season. Would that be so bad?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
8-2 in their last 10 and the 9th best record in the league is "pretty good" in my book. Having a good goalie helps but the team is pretty deep at all positions despite still missing some key players including two top wingers in Rakell and Perry.

Have you actually watched the games?

I mean, I know this is ironic coming from a Penguins fan given our record this year, but I think the Ducks and Pens are very similar teams. They have glaring flaws, yet they are in a weak division so they are putting together solid runs.

Also, I know it is semantics, but there is a difference between "pretty good" and "very good" in my opinion. Both the Ducks and Pens are "pretty good".

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The Penguins have had trouble developing and utilizing young, high-ceiling wingers forever. Sprong is just the latest in a long line. Most of the in-house guys who have come up big for the Penguins at wing recently (Rust, Guentzel, to a lesser extent Sheary) have been less conspicious guys from the third round or later.

Good for Anaheim if he pans out.

Yeah, all those young , high-ceiling wingers in the system that never panned out like..

Dustin Jeffrey?
Beau Bennett?
Joe Vitale?

I think Anaheim fans are much more understanding of this trade because they've actually had high end prospects and know how the process works.

Penguins fans get one winger with talent and suddenly everyone on the team is a moron because he didn't succeed here. Sometimes players just need a shake up or the right situation. Obviously management and Sprong couldn't make it work in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Riptide

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Have you actually watched the games?

I mean, I know this is ironic coming from a Penguins fan given our record this year, but I think the Ducks and Pens are very similar teams. They have glaring flaws, yet they are in a weak division so they are putting together solid runs.

Also, I know it is semantics, but there is a difference between "pretty good" and "very good" in my opinion. Both the Ducks and Pens are "pretty good".

I think I said "pretty good", didn't I? And yes, I do watch the games and I do understand that the team has been playing short-handed for virtually the entire season with key injuries. When (if) everyone is healthy in March this is going to be a difficult team to play. SC contender? probably not but still "pretty good".

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think I said "pretty good", didn't I? And yes, I do watch the games and I do understand that the team has been playing short-handed for virtually the entire season with key injuries. When (if) everyone is healthy in March this is going to be a difficult team to play. SC contender? probably not but still "pretty good".

tomd said:
He is a 21 year-old getting top 6 minutes on a very good team.

I don't know. The Ducks do this every year. I'm not sure if the healthy players like Perry actually make them a better team. If Sprong gets bumped to the fourth line or to the LW, I don't think he'll be nearly as effective.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't know. The Ducks do this every year. I'm not sure if the healthy players like Perry actually make them a better team. If Sprong gets bumped to the fourth line or to the LW, I don't think he'll be nearly as effective.

I agree with that. Sprong either plays in your top 6 (maybe top 9 if you are exceptionally deep) or he is in the AHL or Europe. That said, I think he has a very good chance to be a successful top 6 player in the NHL.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, all those young , high-ceiling wingers in the system that never panned out like..

Dustin Jeffrey?
Beau Bennett?
Joe Vitale?

I think Anaheim fans are much more understanding of this trade because they've actually had high end prospects and know how the process works.

Penguins fans get one winger with talent and suddenly everyone on the team is a moron because he didn't succeed here. Sometimes players just need a shake up or the right situation. Obviously management and Sprong couldn't make it work in Pittsburgh.
out of curiosity what are our glaring holes, outside of coaching?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I agree with that. Sprong either plays in your top 6 (maybe top 9 if you are exceptionally deep) or he is in the AHL or Europe. That said, I think he has a very good chance to be a successful top 6 player in the NHL.

So when healthy where does he fit? Because that means either Perry or Kase is playing on the 4th line if you keep the lines they way they are whenever Perry and Rakell are healthy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
out of curiosity what are our glaring holes, outside of coaching?

Ryan Kesler, Aberg as a top six forward, Cogs hasn’t looked right this year. I’m not a huge fan of the 4th line outside of Sherwood.

Dotchin in the line-up scares me, but that should get fixed when Fowler is back.

I would say the big issue would be the 3rd line for sure especially how Randy uses it.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
So when healthy where does he fit? Because that means either Perry or Kase is playing on the 4th line if you keep the lines they way they are whenever Perry and Rakell are healthy.

I think Perry is more likely to start out on the lower lines and maybe top out on the 3rd line. Eaves also adds more competition if he comes back. For this year, I could see Sprong in the press box on occasion given his lack of experience as we get closer to the playoffs. Really depends on how he plays. I think it is also clear that Silfverberg will be traded at TDL for a package of futures given the Ducks sudden depth at RW.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think Perry is more likely to start out on the lower lines and maybe top out on the 3rd line. Eaves also adds more competition if he comes back. For this year, I could see Sprong in the press box on occasion given his lack of experience as we get closer to the playoffs. Really depends on how he plays. I think it is also clear that Silfverberg will be traded at TDL for a package of futures given the Ducks sudden depth at RW.
Totally forgot about Eaves.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ryan Kesler, Aberg as a top six forward, Cogs hasn’t looked right this year. I’m not a huge fan of the 4th line outside of Sherwood.

Dotchin in the line-up scares me, but that should get fixed when Fowler is back.

I would say the big issue would be the 3rd line for sure especially how Randy uses it.

Kesler will play 3C regardless of how well he plays. His contract makes it unavoidable. If he can play solid D and win face-offs then that will have to be good enough. Aberg is a bit one-dimensional but his contribution to the team has been undeniable and hopefully he keeps it up. I'm surprised you aren't happy (or at least relieved) at the play of Rowney at the 4C. I think he has played that role perfectly.

Dotchin is a RD so Fowler's return shouldn't affect him too much. I like him on the 3rd pairing on the right side. Fowler's return will make the left side crowded and maybe push Larsson back to SD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad