Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PIT] Marcus Pettersson for Daniel Sprong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sprong being traded doesn't magically mean his flaws are going to go away. I'm not saying this to bash Sprong, I'm being reasonable about the problems he has as a player. Nothing I said was false or intended as sour grapes at Sprong, it's just a fact. He's an all-offense player that doesn't offer anything outside of his offense, so if he's not producing, he's going to be hurting your team.

It's why the comment that Sprong is a lot more likely to hit is potential is a reach, because Sprong has massive boom/bust potential unless he fixes the issues in his game. Pettersson doesn't have that boom/bust potential, the worst case scenario is a #5 defenseman.

No, but it was pretty obvious that how he was playing in PIT wasn't going to lead to a successful NHL career. In his first game with Anahiem (I haven't watched any of the others), he showed more of a pulse then he did in his last 6-8 Pens game combined.

Sprong when giving a shit and playing with a pulse is a useful prospect, and one who while maybe still a liability defensively, with questionable offense, at least attempts to contribute in other ways. We just never saw it. Good for him - because if he hadn't changed anything, he wasn't going to stay in the NHL. Hopefully he can keep progressing.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
They’ve been trying to trade Kessel since the day they got Kessel lol

When was the last time a contender traded a guy tied for the team lead in points?

You need a #6 D more than a 2nd line w?

Sprong was a 4th liner/bench sitter here. Not a 2nd line winger. He wasn't going to be a second line winger. Pettersson has helped Jack Johnson look like an NHL defender and they've made a solid second pair since his arrival.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ryan Kesler, Aberg as a top six forward, Cogs hasn’t looked right this year. I’m not a huge fan of the 4th line outside of Sherwood.

Dotchin in the line-up scares me, but that should get fixed when Fowler is back.

I would say the big issue would be the 3rd line for sure especially how Randy uses it.
I think Dotchin has played pretty well... hes like the new stoner. Im perfectly okay with him in our top 6.
Aberg has 17 points in 28 games(10 goals)= that projects at 50ish points and 28 goals... not bad for a guy picked off waivers.

I agree about the 3rd line... kesler and cogs have been really meh this year.... the 4th line is alright. I imagine eventually well see a line up like

Kase Getzlaf Aberg
Rakell Henrique Sprong
Cogliano Kesler Silfverberg
Ritchie Rawney Sheerwood
I like the 4th line, the 3rd line is still pretty iffy but were kinda stuck with it... I wouldn't mind us trying to trade cogliano… and giving a guy like Jones a shot on that 3rd line, or finding a rental that can give that line a lil more pop... not sure whats exactly available.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Lol "stud".

And, they gave up the better defenseman, so yeah, that's kind of bad when you're the team giving up the extra piece(in this case, a high end goal scorer).

The Pens won that trade big time. This deal will most likely turn out to be pretty even but if I had to say who will win this trade I will say Pens.

I think Pettersson has a much greater chance of being a second pairing defenseman than Sprong being a scoring line winger. Anyone that is basing Sprong after 5 games is making a huge assumption. I am not sold on him but even if he does become a 20+ goal scoring one dimensional winger I still am fine if it is for a second pairing defenseman. A top 4 defensemen is almost always worth more in value than a one dimensional scoring winger unless they are elite like Kessel. I don’t see Sprong ever being that type and I still think he is 50% of not being an NHL player. Pettersson with 10 points and a +12 in 56 NHL games is already established he can be a 3rd pairing defenseman and at 22 can very easily turn into a good 2nd pairing defenseman.

The Pens could lose this deal but I think the chances are much better of even trade or in Pens favor.

Reactions: Riptide

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
how is Kessel not a need for a bottom 5 scoring team

Kessel is not getting traded. After the Kessel trade the Pens won 2 Cups in his first 2 years after going 6 years of disappointments. Last year losing close to the eventual Cup champs is not a reason to trade a major reason why we won the past 2 Cups.

The Pens are going to trade a defenseman once Schultz is back if all the other defenseman are healthy at that time. If I had to guess it will be Maatta because he had good value and the Pens have 5 NHL level LH defenseman in Dumoulin, Maatta, Johnson, Pettersson, and Riikola. If the Pens think one of those other 3 can play Maatta’s spot on the second pairing he will be the one traded. He has good value being a top 4 defenseman and having won 2 Cups. Several teams will be in for a defenseman signed for several years with that track record. I would like to see a Maatta and Brassard for an upgrade over Brassard.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lol "stud".

And, they gave up the better defenseman, so yeah, that's kind of bad when you're the team giving up the extra piece(in this case, a high end goal scorer).

Niskanen was trash for Dallas.

Neal for Gogo was a fine deal. They added Niskanen which swayed it the Pens way (after a lot of rehab with Nisky), but Gogo was great for Dallas and is a #3 D on most teams even today.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Niskanen was trash for Dallas.

Neal for Gogo was a fine deal. They added Niskanen which swayed it the Pens way (after a lot of rehab with Nisky), but Gogo was great for Dallas and is a #3 D on most teams even today.

Niskanen was a throw in that people thought was a negative add to that deal at the time. They thought we had to take him to make the deal. He was a project at best and not thought of as value when that trade was made. Niskanen is just the first of many Pens reclamation projects for defenseman just like Schultz.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I have no doubt that Pettersson we be more valuable in the short term to the Pens than Sprong would have been. However, it is very poor logic to deduce that it was a smart or good trade by the pens.

It is all about asset management and moving a prospect like sprong when the did, for who they did, is not unlike selling Tesla stock when it is down 20%. They either blew it by not selling him earlier, or by not holding onto him/putting in a position to succeed and then selling him when he didn’t look like the team peria.

Every team makes deals like that, reminds me of when we traded Palmieri. He was not going anywhere on our team in the short term, so made sense to trade him. However, it was a bad trade because we didn’t maximize the asset.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I have no doubt that Pettersson we be more valuable in the short term to the Pens than Sprong would have been. However, it is very poor logic to deduce that it was a smart or good trade by the pens.

It is all about asset management and moving a prospect like sprong when the did, for who they did, is not unlike selling Tesla stock when it is down 20%. They either blew it by not selling him earlier, or by not holding onto him/putting in a position to succeed and then selling him when he didn’t look like the team peria.

Every team makes deals like that, reminds me of when we traded Palmieri. He was not going anywhere on our team in the short term, so made sense to trade him. However, it was a bad trade because we didn’t maximize the asset.

We have Hornqvist, Kessel and Rust making major dollars and signed for 3 years on the RW. We turned an asset into something we needed before his value was shot due to not being capable in the role we had for him.

If Kessel or Hornqvist looked bad this year I’d somewhat get the criticism but Horny was on pace for 40 goals and Kessel is his typical at minimum 60 pt self again.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

If you're looking at it in the context of asset management, the Penguins made a great decision to move him. The Penguins have Simon, Kessel, Rust and Hornqvist as legitimate top-9 RWers, there was never going to be a spot for Sprong here. The team was in absolute disarray for a good stretch this year, to the point where Sullivan couldn't give Sprong easy minutes to raise his value. Sprong's value was only going to get worse the longer the Penguins held on to him, because he was playing terribly in a 4th line role for the team this year.

Getting Pettersson for Sprong is pretty much a best case scenario return for him, it's not realistic to assume he had more value than that.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
If you're looking at it in the context of asset management, the Penguins made a great decision to move him. The Penguins have Simon, Kessel, Rust and Hornqvist as legitimate top-9 RWers, there was never going to be a spot for Sprong here. The team was in absolute disarray for a good stretch this year, to the point where Sullivan couldn't give Sprong easy minutes to raise his value. Sprong's value was only going to get worse the longer the Penguins held on to him, because he was playing terribly in a 4th line role for the team this year.

Getting Pettersson for Sprong is pretty much a best case scenario return for him, it's not realistic to assume he had more value than that.

Couldn’t disagree more. Trading a guy who was widely considered an A or A- wing prospect for a run-of-the-mill 4-6 D man is not good asset management. Also, you can speculate that Sprongs value would not have gotten hire, but obviously we will never know. Perhaps pens suffer an rash of injuries and Sprong moves up lineup and produces?

What seems almost certain is that if the pens moved Sprong earlier they would have gotten quite a bit more than a guy like Petterson.

Reactions: Pengwins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Couldn’t disagree more. Trading a guy who was widely considered an A or A- wing prospect for a run-of-the-mill 4-6 D man is not good asset management. Also, you can speculate that Sprongs value would not have gotten hire, but obviously we will never know. Perhaps pens suffer an rash of injuries and Sprong moves up lineup and produces?

Corey Pronman was the only guy who considered Sprong an A prospect. Most people considered him a Kapanen level prospect at best. And why is Pettersson a "run of the mill 4-6 D man"? Just because you say so? If you're going that route, why not call it an A wing prospect (which I don't agree with) for a B D prospect who is safer?

What seems almost certain is that if the pens moved Sprong earlier they would have gotten quite a bit more than a guy like Petterson.

Based on what? They traded a 2015 2nd rounder for a 2014 2nd rounder. You're grossly overvaluing Sprong. Outside of Pronman, his upside was widely considered a top-6 complementary forward. Pettersson's upside is a middle pair DFD. You're really overstating the difference in their potentials.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Sprong did get a shot in the top-6, it was just last year. He played like 6 games with Crosby, put up 3 points (all in 1 game) and generally looked unimpressive in the role. It's not a guarantee that playing him with Crosby or Malkin would have resulted in him producing a lot and raising his value, especially considering how bad Malkin has been at ES in the last 6 weeks. The team was floundering and Sullivan had much larger concerns than playing a prospect in a position to raise his value.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad