Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Francois Beauchemin (1 Year, $1M w/ Bonuses)

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Montour isn't going to sit for Franky unless Montour struggles l. Beauch's contract spells out exactly the role they envision him in. Spot starter/ depth.

I hadn't seen that anywhere. Post a link please?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Difference is he returned last time at age 30. Now he's 37. Sure he was on a mess of a team, but his skills have deteriorated quite notably in just the past 18 months.

Indeed. You can hope this turns out like Timonen and the Hawks. Except Beauchemin has hoisted it before. :laugh:

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
So beauch made them play worse?
Lirl

Did you watch a majority of the Avalanche games this past season? Avalanche fans, like myself, deserve a medal for it. I watched how the team got off to an uneasy start. But, were still getting wins against good teams and adapting to the style that Bednar expected of them. After all, this team was able to come back against Minnesota in the third period when two goals behind. I remember that point distinctly because it became apparent to me that this team needed to be built around MacKinnon. Then the wheels continued to fall off when Iginla and Beauchemin kept making the same mistake again and again and again and again and again and again. Duchene, at that point, also came back from his concussion and something changed the team completely. That seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back. There were also rumblings that the players had to tip toe around Beauchemin and that he was a negative influence in the locker room. For all the similar faults Iginla had, Beauchemin made things worse with his attitude around the team and younger players. I would think, that as someone who witnessed this all take place, that my opinion carries greater weight than the average joe on HF. This analysis on Beauchemin is consistent with the entire fanbase. Very rarely do fans come to a similar consensus unless the situation is as blatant as it was with Beauchemin. He was a terrible influence on the team in it's last year and played FAR TOO MUCH for my liking. But, you want to get behind Beauchemin? Have at it boss. Just make sure the Ducks play him for thirty minutes when the Avalanche see him next.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm glad his career isn't going to end on a buyout. Going back somewhere he's comfortable with makes sense. But I have to agree that not only was the bad play detrimental it was that he thought he was leading with the bad play too.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Did you watch a majority of the Avalanche games this past season? Avalanche fans, like myself, deserve a medal for it. I watched how the team got off to an uneasy start. But, were still getting wins against good teams and adapting to the style that Bednar expected of them. After all, this team was able to come back against Minnesota in the third period when two goals behind. I remember that point distinctly because it became apparent to me that this team needed to be built around MacKinnon. Then the wheels continued to fall off when Iginla and Beauchemin kept making the same mistake again and again and again and again and again and again. Duchene, at that point, also came back from his concussion and something changed the team completely. That seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back. There were also rumblings that the players had to tip toe around Beauchemin and that he was a negative influence in the locker room. For all the similar faults Iginla had, Beauchemin made things worse with his attitude around the team and younger players. I would think, that as someone who witnessed this all take place, that my opinion carries greater weight than the average joe on HF. This analysis on Beauchemin is consistent with the entire fanbase. Very rarely do fans come to a similar consensus unless the situation is as blatant as it was with Beauchemin. He was a terrible influence on the team in it's last year and played FAR TOO MUCH for my liking. But, you want to get behind Beauchemin? Have at it boss. Just make sure the Ducks play him for thirty minutes when the Avalanche see him next.

Maybe you can tell us all how you witnessed his impact in the locker room? Or with the young players? Because I watch every single game my team plays, and at best I can speculate on a player's influence in the locker room or with the youth. I'm not sure I've ever seen a single case where a skater, one player, destroyed the confidence of an entire team's youth.

You're putting an awful lot of fault on Beauchemin for something you can't know. It's one thing to say he had a poor season. I wouldn't even dispute that. He was terrible, from what I saw. The rest of it? Nonsense.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Unless you were in the locker room, your opinion isn't worth squat. Beauch had an excellent reputation in the locker room prior to going to the Avs. OTOH, your team is know to have don't give a damn owners and management without a clue. If anything, Beauch was trying to provide leadership to a rudderless group of players, some of whom probably didn't appreciate it. Seems to me JS Giguere previously ripped your team for not giving a damn too.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Unless you were in the locker room, your opinion isn't worth squat. Beauch had an excellent reputation in the locker room prior to going to the Avs. OTOH, your team is know to have don't give a damn owners and management without a clue. If anything, Beauch was trying to provide leadership to a rudderless group of players, some of whom probably didn't appreciate it. Seems to me JS Giguere previously ripped your team for not giving a damn too.

Exactly. I have my doubts that he can still contribute. My hope is that, in a lesser role, with a better team around him and an established leadership, that he can settle in to a smaller role and just be a 6/7 guy for us. That's my hope. Carlyle may have other plans, and for whatever reason the two of them seem to work pretty well together.

I have no concerns at all about his character, or his presence in the locker room.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Exactly. I have my doubts that he can still contribute. My hope is that, in a lesser role, with a better team around him and an established leadership, that he can settle in to a smaller role and just be a 6/7 guy for us. That's my hope. Carlyle may have other plans, and for whatever reason the two of them seem to work pretty well together.

I have no concerns at all about his character, or his presence in the locker room.

Agreed, I don't mind the signing as long as hes brought in as a depth/locker room presence.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Unless you were in the locker room, your opinion isn't worth squat. Beauch had an excellent reputation in the locker room prior to going to the Avs.

My source is BSN Denver and I believe it was this podcast that shed light on Beauchemin's attitude: http://bsndenver.com/bsn-avalanche-podcast-francois-beauchemin-no-longer-in-colorado/

AJ and Dater WERE around the team regularly. Beauchemin was also reported to act like a jerk during practice. Fair enough, he can get upset at the players aren't showing that they don't care. That was a big issue for me as the season wore on too. But, as a player who was one of the two main sources for the team floundering, he had no right to criticize his teammates the way Giguere did. Giguere criticized teammates for talking about a stupid Vegas vacation. Beauchemin criticized players for not caring when it became obvious there was nothing they could do to make the team better while he played with them. Completely different. It's an excuse for giving up. But, Beauchemin should have kept his attitude to himself. End of story. I'm glad he's gone. I'll never have to see him play regularly again. There's one undeniable fact about Iginla and Beauchemin since they played with Colorado in the year after they won their division. Both these players came to a team that played worse each successive year they were there.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
My source is BSN Denver and I believe it was this podcast that shed light on Beauchemin's attitude: http://bsndenver.com/bsn-avalanche-podcast-francois-beauchemin-no-longer-in-colorado/

AJ and Dater WERE around the team regularly. Beauchemin was also reported to act like a jerk during practice. Fair enough, he can get upset at the players aren't showing that they don't care. That was a big issue for me as the season wore on too. But, as a player who was one of the two main sources for the team floundering, he had no right to criticize his teammates the way Giguere did. Giguere criticized teammates for talking about a stupid Vegas vacation. Beauchemin criticized players for not caring when it became obvious there was nothing they could do to make the team better while he played with them. Completely different. It's an excuse for giving up. But, Beauchemin should have kept his attitude to himself. End of story. I'm glad he's gone. I'll never have to see him play regularly again. There's one undeniable fact about Iginla and Beauchemin since they played with Colorado in the year after they won their division. Both these players came to a team that played worse each successive year they were there.

I guess it must make it easier to place the blame on those two, instead of on the entirety of the team, management, and coaching staff.

Colorado had 9 players who were -20 or higher, but Beauchemin was one of the two main reasons the team was floundering. Okay.

Edit: This is just getting a little ridiculous. The amount of blame you're placing on Beauchemin here isn't rational.

Last edited:

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
I guess it must make it easier to place the blame on those two, instead of on the entirety of the team, management, and coaching staff.

Colorado had 9 players who were -20 or higher, but Beauchemin was one of the main reasons the team was floundering. Okay.

I blame everyone on that team. I blame Sakic. I blame Bednar. The only person I might not blame is MacKinnon. But, I also know why things happened as they did. I especially resent that Bednar and Sakic were as loyal to Iginla and Beauchemin as they were. They didn't deserve that kind of loyalty.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I blame everyone on that team. I blame Sakic. I blame Bednar. The only person I might not blame is MacKinnon. But, I also know why things happened as they did. I especially resent that Bednar and Sakic were as loyal to Iginla and Beauchemin as they were. They didn't deserve that kind of loyalty.

But you outright called Beauchemin one of two main problems. That isn't equal levels of blame. You're putting him up on a pedestal, just so you can throw rotten vegetables at him.

You're suggesting, if not outright saying, that a team that was historically bad has Beauchemin in a primary position of fault. I'm sorry, dude, that's absurd. He was playing 21 minutes a game, not 30.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
A limited role might rejuvenate him a bit. And if it doesn't, it's only $1m.

The important part is we don't need him... we already had a good 7 dmen not including Larsson.... so if beauch doesn't work out we just wont play him.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Colorado needs to find that magic they had in the 13-14 season when the Avs won the central division.

Beauchemin wasn't the only reason why the Avs were just abysmal last season.
Colorado has a whole slew of problems to right the ship, the most obvious problem is Joe Sakic.
Sakic was a great player, I enjoyed watching him play but as a NHL General Manager Joe doesn't seem to have a clue how to build a consistent winning franchise. I'm not going to go off topic any further.

Beauchemin will probably eventually end up in San Diego once Vatanen and Lindholm are healthy.
Surprised Megna or Larsson isn't getting NHL playing time over Beauch.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Colorado needs to find that magic they had in the 13-14 season when the Avs won the central division.

Beauchemin wasn't the only reason why the Avs were just abysmal last season.
Colorado has a whole slew of problems to right the ship, the most obvious problem is Joe Sakic.
Sakic was a great player, I enjoyed watching him play but as a NHL General Manager Joe doesn't seem to have a clue how to build a consistent winning franchise. I'm not going to go off topic any further.

Beauchemin will probably eventually end up in San Diego once Vatanen and Lindholm are healthy.
Surprised Megna or Larsson isn't getting NHL playing time over Beauch.

Well, training camp hasn't even begun yet. Anaheim isn't the kind of team to pencil in rookies. They need to earn those spots.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Who is worse at this point, Casual Kev or Beauch?

Based on play last season, I think Beauchemin was worse. However, DVM makes this point on the Anaheim board:

Bieksa was better as a 4-5 on a WC Final team than Beauchemin was as a 2 on a historically bad team. Switch teams and responsibilities and then reassess them.

I think it's a good point. Bieksa was better, but he was also in a far better position to succeed, and he was still far from good(save the post-season, as Exit Dose noted).

Put in the same situation, could Beauchemin be better than Bieksa was? I don't know. I won't pretend to know. Would Beauchemin be better than he was in Colorado? Again, I don't know, but I strongly suspect the answer is yes.

He's going from a very, very bad team to one of the better NHL teams, and one of the better blue lines. He doesn't need to be a top 4 defenseman for us. In fact, I think there's a pretty good argument for him being a #6 defenseman, at best. I think he's comfortably behind Fowler, Lindholm, Manson, and Vatanen. Montour is an up and comer, and we still have Bieksa. That's our top 6 D before Beauchemin, and it doesn't consider the likes of someone like Larsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad