Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Francois Beauchemin (1 Year, $1M w/ Bonuses)

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Hoping to see the killer B's paired together. :laugh:

Pretty low money though, if he's a disaster he'll just be this season's Mason Raymond.

Oct 18, 2011
My source is BSN Denver and I believe it was this podcast that shed light on Beauchemin's attitude: http://bsndenver.com/bsn-avalanche-podcast-francois-beauchemin-no-longer-in-colorado/

AJ and Dater WERE around the team regularly. Beauchemin was also reported to act like a jerk during practice. Fair enough, he can get upset at the players aren't showing that they don't care. That was a big issue for me as the season wore on too. But, as a player who was one of the two main sources for the team floundering, he had no right to criticize his teammates the way Giguere did. Giguere criticized teammates for talking about a stupid Vegas vacation. Beauchemin criticized players for not caring when it became obvious there was nothing they could do to make the team better while he played with them. Completely different. It's an excuse for giving up. But, Beauchemin should have kept his attitude to himself. End of story. I'm glad he's gone. I'll never have to see him play regularly again. There's one undeniable fact about Iginla and Beauchemin since they played with Colorado in the year after they won their division. Both these players came to a team that played worse each successive year they were there.

Strange how respected champions like JSG and Beauch didnt like those kids there

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Anaheim organization 17-18 defense to start.

Beauchemin will be the 8th D-man and Megna will be sent back to the AHL, once Vatanen and Lindholm are healthy.

1st LD Fowler RD Manson
2nd LD Bieksa RD Montour
3rd LD Beauchemin RD Holzer

Scratched List
LD Megna
LD Lindholm + Inj. Shoulder Surgery
RD Vatanen + Inj. Shoulder Surgery

AHL San Diego Gulls
LD Larsson
RD Welinski
LD Pettersson
RD Oleksy
LD Thompson

WHL/NCAA
LD Mahura ~ Regina WHL
LD Berkovitz ~ Army NCAA
RD Ruggiero ~ Lake Superior State Univ. NCAA

I remember seeing in the SHL Larsson being on right side quite a lot. He also was good enough to start last year in the NHL while we had Theodore and Montour in San Diego. There is at least some outside chance Larsson starts in the NHL but no one really have an idea :laugh: Because he had a pretty underwhelming numbers and play was questionable during the season for a guy who started the year in Anaheim. Will be interesting to see

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Strange how respected champions like JSG and Beauch didnt like those kids there

The Vegas story was more on older players aswell (I remember Shane O'Brien being involved). There was no reason there was a positive atmosphere in the locker room last year. So I wouldn't weight it that high.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Montour played LD with Bieksa all season

No he didn't. He played with Lindholm or Fowler.

Edit: http://www.naturalstattrick.com/pla...17&playerid=8477986&sit=5v5&stype=2&rate=&v=t

He played ~300 of his ~370 minutes with either Fowler or Lindholm. He played 26 mins with Bieksa.

The RDs we had that played on the left last year were Vatanen who was ok on the left and Holzer who sucked balls on the left. Bieksa, Montour and Manson all exclusively played the right.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Pretty funny how Avs fans are putting all the blame on him, when they play him +20min a night, haha.

Limited role in Ducks, should be fine.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pretty funny how Avs fans are putting all the blame on him, when they play him +20min a night, haha.

It's because of how bad he was. The Avs are a joke. It's undeniable. But FB was by far the worst part of the on ice product. There's issues in that franchise well beyond the dumpster fire of Francois Beauchemin forcing goals against on the ice, but based on the roster alone he was the biggest contributor to Avs losses last year.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

It's not all the blame. He was just very representative of the reason we were terrible. He was a guy we needed to be a #4, and he ended up being closer to a #8. That happening up and down almost the entire lineup is why we were atrocious. Beauchemin catches a bit of extra heat, because the veteran leaders are the guys you hope stabilize things when the young guys slump, but Beauchemin was among the worst of the slumpers. When a vet is calling people out for their play when his own play is among the worst, it can have the opposite of the desired effect.

I wouldn't have minded pressing the reset button on my expectations for him and bringing him back to be a 6/7/8 this year, but neither side really wanted that. Plus, we wanted the extra protection spot.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Just to counter any Ducks fans who think one of their cup-winning heroes is being treated unfairly by people who had to witness him playing a key role in the worst NHL team in twenty years:

- At the start of the season a new coach came in. He took an A from Cody McLeod, a well-liked 4th liner who had worn an A for five years and was the longest serving player on the team, and gave it to Beauchemin. While the far more important issue of the Avalanche destroying any positive potential garnered from the 2013-14 season by over-reliance on veterans rather than allowing the young players to develop and lead the team was in a way symbolised by the role Beauchemin played last year, any mitigation of it from the stripping of Jarome Iginla's letter was undone when Beauchemin got his before he'd played a game. Iginla's time on the ice was actually diminished in accordance with his role. Beauchemin's wasn't. When the same player who is subsequently setting no on-ice example to speak of tries to call out other players, there's no meaningful leadership coming from him.

- Whether through obligation or a lack of realising that things should be any other way, on-ice, Beauchemin did a lot of captain's duties. While Landeskog was injured for part of the year, when he was dressed it was Beauchemin who did most of the talking to the referees. Ironically the issue with the glass in Anaheim is a prime example of this - it was Beauchemin's corpse over talking to the refs with Getzlaf when they were discussing what was happening to the game.

- Similarly, though Erik Johnson missed most of the season the opportunity to fill that role should never have fell to Beauchemin. No player, certainly not one as experienced and professional as him, is going to tell the coach they think they shouldn't be playing in a certain role. I don't know if Bednar's inexperience at the NHL level made him keep playing Beauchemin so much when it was patently obvious he was incapable of playing the minutes he was, but he played far more than he should have. This raises two problems, in that you have someone unsuited for one of the most important on-ice roles which sets the team back because you can't rely on him, and it sends a message to everyone else in the organisation that there's no sense of merit influencing player decisions. Beauchemin got outplayed by an assortment of waiver pickups, career AHLers and people who had never played in the NHL before. Yet he was still getting top line minutes and special teams time.

- There can be no overstating how bad Beauchemin was on the ice. Whether it was seeing Bo Horvat make up ten feet on him in the time it took him to go from the blue line to the hashmarks (before setting up a goal), seeing him fire pucks blindly out from below the goal line straight to opposition players, seeing him send a square pass along the blue line five yards wide of his d-partner and out of the zone, seeing that for 20 minutes a night for 82 games goes beyond conventional badness and into the genuine belief that you're being punished for something. While other players like Soderberg and Colborne played a lot and were terrible, they weren't detrimental to the Avalanche the way Beauchemin was. Don't try and tell me his +/- was good or something like one person posted, he was unquestionably the worst Avalanche player in a season where there were more candidates for that accolade than you could ever imagine or want.

- I'm sure in a place where he has history and is well-respected and won't be playing #1 minutes every night on terrible team he'll be fine. I also don't doubt that in his time in Colorado he tried and was affected by his and the team's play. But as a player he was terrible and out of his depth for most of the time, as a figure he was symptomatic of the last three years being a write-off for the Avalanche. Don't try and paint people with a vested interest in the team criticising him for that as unreasonable or ignorant.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
In limited minutes, I'm betting he'll be a pretty effective player. I'll even wager he's better than Bieksa this year, though that isn't saying much.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Vancouver fans were saying the same thing about bieksa after we acquired him.

I smell train wreck, especially if the bs play together. hopefully at least 1 of them scratched when all our healthy.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
You know what you are getting, know when he'll be an asset, when a liability, and so that experience with him and his style will only benefit the organization.

A great depth signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->