Waived: Alzner, Weise, Peca, Varone & Ouellet - All clear waivers and assigned to Laval

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Berglund walked away from the game. He needed time off. It wasn't a ploy to switch teams.

My point was that he left money on the table. Some people have different ways of looking at it.

Again, I don't expect that from Alzner.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
He'd be insane not to.

His career is over. Nobody wants the guy. He has a chance to collect a fat paycheck over the next few years playing hockey. I'd kill for that opportunity. :)

I'm pretty sure teams would take a flier on him at league minimum.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
well boys and gals, WE GOT CAP SPACE..lol like over $12 MILLION NOW????? holy ...

Weise 2.3 m..Ahl
Alzner 4.6 m..Ahl
Peca 1.3 m..Ahl
----------------------
8. 2 million.....+ 4.4million we had free with those guys on the NHL roster......something best be shakin'

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm pretty sure teams would take a flier on him at league minimum.
Even if that were true, he'd be giving up millions of dollars. He's never going to make close to what he does here.

And it'd be highly likely that he'd get cut from whatever team that signs him as well.

Take the money. Embrace the role of leader on a minor league team. Then retire and kick it in the Caribbean. He's going to walk away from this team with 25 million dollars to show for it. Sucks that his career's over but he's still playing and he's going to be able to do whatever he wants afterwards.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
well boys and gals, WE GOT CAP SPACE..lol like over $12 MILLION NOW????? holy ...

Weise 2.3 m..Ahl
Alzner 4.6 m..Ahl
Peca 1.3 m..Ahl
----------------------
8. 2 million.....+ 4.4million we had free with those guys on the NHL roster......something best be shakin'
Yes MB is still working on his tan for fall.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I don't believe the scenario has ever played out in the NHL. I don't expect Alzner to be the 1st.

There are plenty of examples of overpaid veteran D that are pretty washed getting bought out and taking cheap contracts with other teams. The premise is similar enough.

Even if that were true, he'd be giving up millions of dollars. He's never going to make close to what he does here.

And it'd be highly likely that he'd get cut from whatever team that signs him as well.

Take the money. Embrace the role of leader on a minor league team. Then retire and kick it in the Caribbean. He's going to walk away from this team with 25 million dollars to show for it. Sucks that his career's over but he's still playing and he's going to be able to do whatever he wants afterwards.

I again repeat that I do not think Alzner will do that. I expect he will report to Laval and be a good soldier.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So Hudon, Rielly and Lindgren should follow soon enough.

How many of those 3 do you think get claimed on waivers?

CJ's claim that Hudon needs to be in the top 9 if he's going to make it, shows he's highly likely the 15th forward right now.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

Weise 2.3 m..Ahl
Alzner 4.6 m..Ahl
Peca 1.3 m..Ahl
----------------------

Not quite:

4.044 mil
+ 1.075 of Alzner's contract
+1.075 of Weise's contract
+ 1.075 of Peca's contract
‭7.269‬ mil in cap space

That doesn't include Poehling, Suzuki and Fleury's contracts either (although other cuts should roughly even things out).

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Not quite:

4.044 mil
+ 1.075 of Alzner's contract
+1.075 of Weise's contract
+ 1.075 of Peca's contract
‭7.269‬ mil in cap space

That doesn't include Poehling, Suzuki and Fleury's contracts either (although other cuts should roughly even things out).

well still...too much free cap..lol 3rd yr in a row . Yeah cheaped out last yr...missed by 2 points...what goods the cap space?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
huu, I dont remember really, can anyone be nice enough to remind me, why was Peca signed for 2 years again ?

"T'as jamais trop de profondeur"

Be a pro.

Be a profondeur.

35u9wq.gif

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
huu, I dont remember really, can anyone be nice enough to remind me, why was Peca signed for 2 years again ?

Because believe it or not, there was a bidding war for his services. He chose the Habs because they were willing to offer two years. I believe the other team was offering more money, but only for one year.

So basically, this is the kind of bidding war MB wins.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Exactly. What do you want to do, sign another Alzner? Good players need to want to sign here. If they don't (see: Tavares, Duchene, Gardiner, etc.) then what's the point of spending that money?

NO EXCUSES......that sign should still be up right now at Bell Centre

If you build a LEGIT winner/cup contender ... players WILL COME....

You wanna ice a pretender? yup,they will past you by

If Montreal was actually making noise the last 10- 15 years in NHL in playoffs, we'd have UFA banging our door down .

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The real question is why he gave another 2 to Reilly?

That has to be the worst signing. Julien had him in the doghouse at some point in the last season. How did that not influence into the decision?

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad