Waived: Alzner, Weise, Peca, Varone & Ouellet - All clear waivers and assigned to Laval

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
That's deflecting, and I believe is not a valid reply. Please try again.
There’s 30 other teams in the league. Everyone at some point will have contracts that are perceived as “bad”. With free agency as well as the difficulty in signing star players, you can’t single out Bergevin. Plus, he didn’t sign Weber to that contract. As for Price, other goaltenders have or will start getting that kind of contract,

There. Is that a good try?

Reactions: peate

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not surprising...every team is paring down their roster right now, no team is trying to add waiver claims at this stage.

The last round of cuts should mostly be the same too.

Reactions: Redux91 and Tyson

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Ok, this is all fun, but the reality is even if he's overpayed, if he was good enough to play in the NHL, he would play for the Habs. The Canadiens don't have cap problems, so his salary is not an issue. In my opinion, if he walks out on his contract, he's not looking at a contract at half of its current value, he's looking at league minimum for 1 year if he's lucky. Chances are he would get a 2-way contract. Either way, he would still get sent to the AHL regardless. So no, he will not walk away from his undeserved contract.

Exactly it's not a case of an old guy overpaid but still good. Like a guy who used to be a 35/70 player but is now a 20/40 player paid 8 millions a year or something. Alzner is simply not a NHLer anymore so he's not even sure to get a 1 way contract. The guy can't even make the top 6 of one of the 10 worst defence in the league.

Reactions: Rapala

Jul 6, 2016
Laval will have a very solid line up to start the season, even more if Peca or Hudon + Fleury or Folin + Lindgren, are joining them. And Poehling might very well be there too !!!!

No fresh news about Juulsen ?

Reactions: Steve Shutt

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My beer league team might put in a claim for Karl Alzner on the condition that he brings all of the beer and buys us the expensive composite sticks. We will take you Karl and you will fit right in because you are a good guy and you skate slowly just like the rest of us.:laugh:

Alzner does more than than just play. You'll remember this epic post by Phil Parent from January 2019:

Dubé with interesting comments on 98,5FM.

He says that the Habs kept Alzner up over Schlemko because Alzner, despite making all this money, is the kind of guy who you could ask to go sell hot dogs and he'd be happy to help, says he's always helping the medical and equipment staff, helps with loading the bags. Meanwhile, Schlemko keeps to himself and is more into pouting.

oGjhUXW.jpg

POxqhM7.gif

I mean, he might just be doing God's work at the same time.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Alzner does more than than just play. You'll remember this epic post by Phil Parent from January 2019:

oGjhUXW.jpg

POxqhM7.gif

I mean, he might just be doing God's work at the same time.
Alzner must be feeling much like Mike Komisarek did when he went to Toronto lol, what a kick in the pants it would be to realize that you were being carried by someone else and you actually thought that it was your talent that got you the ufa money. Of course the rain cloud gets even darker when you think that our Allstar GM thought that he was the prize of the free-agent market but then again, he also went "hard" after Lucic. Fun times.
giphy.gif

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
While Alzner obviously has a lot of money still to make on his contract by playing in Laval, his comments from last season make me doubt he will report. Two years in a row in the AHL, with 3 more years on his contract seems like a career suicide move. If he goes down to Laval right now he will never play in the NHL ever again. He has already made some money in his career. My best guess is that he refuses to report, Bergevin terminates his contract free of charge and he signs somewhere else for 700k as a #7 or #8 dman for a weak team.

There is just no way Alzner is happy to spend his next 4 years in the AHL. I just can't see him actually doing it
Give up a sure amount of money for probably half just to play in the nhl again,hmmmm.I wouldn't be surprised. I'll give him credit if he does.:thumbu:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All 5 cuts reported to Laval and are skating with a group that won’t be taking part in this afternoon’s game at 3PM.

Kingbobert

Jul 15, 2005
Montreal
Alzner would have a spot in one of the other 30 teams as a 6-7-8. Some teams are hurting on D atm and dont have prospects ready to jump in. Alzners contract in two years is easy to buyout and 2 years is enough for teams to get their D in order. Looking at Winnipeg specifically that has cap and need for a D.
Just need to entice someone with a pick or something.

If not, i'm calling francis and asking him what he wants to take alzner in the expansion draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->