Waived: Alzner, Weise, Peca, Varone & Ouellet - All clear waivers and assigned to Laval

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
2ayOwjY.jpg

CgIQTxn.jpg
I like that no studs in the underground parking. Kinda reminds me of our forward group.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Feels like Bergevin's signatures lately have been brutal. What the f*** is wrong with our Pro scouts???

Reactions: Tyson

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
While Alzner obviously has a lot of money still to make on his contract by playing in Laval, his comments from last season make me doubt he will report. Two years in a row in the AHL, with 3 more years on his contract seems like a career suicide move. If he goes down to Laval right now he will never play in the NHL ever again. He has already made some money in his career. My best guess is that he refuses to report, Bergevin terminates his contract free of charge and he signs somewhere else for 700k as a #7 or #8 dman for a weak team.

There is just no way Alzner is happy to spend his next 4 years in the AHL. I just can't see him actually doing it

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgy

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
While Alzner obviously has a lot of money still to make on his contract by playing in Laval, his comments from last season make me doubt he will report. Two years in a row in the AHL, with 3 more years on his contract seems like a career suicide move. If he goes down to Laval right now he will never play in the NHL ever again. He has already made some money in his career. My best guess is that he refuses to report, Bergevin termines his contract free of charge and he signs somewhere else for 700k as a #7 or #8 dman for a weak team.

There is just no way Alzner is happy to spend his next 4 years in the AHL. I just can't see him actually doing it

The best thing would be for him not to report. Because that could lead to contract termination.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
While Alzner obviously has a lot of money still to make on his contract by playing in Laval, his comments from last season make me doubt he will report. Two years in a row in the AHL, with 3 more years on his contract seems like a career suicide move. If he goes down to Laval right now he will never play in the NHL ever again. He has already made some money in his career. My best guess is that he refuses to report, Bergevin terminates his contract free of charge and he signs somewhere else for 700k as a #7 or #8 dman for a weak team.

That would be best case for everybody involved. I'd actually be happy for the guy if he can get a chance somewhere else, he strikes me as a genuinely decent person and he's had a pro attitude all the way.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

Fingers crossed that happens. Not that Bergeving will do anything useful with an extra 5mil in cap space lol

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
No need to talk about 4 years when it is 3.

His scheduled gross income is about $11 million.

Unless he has had massive success with his investments to date, it is hard to imagine him walking away from the opportunity to put about $4 million in the bank. He is a young man by real world standards.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
We need defense so badly. Our forward core for the future is pretty good. Kotkaniemi, Domi, Caufield, Suzuki, Poehling and Gally. Drouin and Danault should be moved for D. I like Tatar a lot but in the future he’s probably going to get moved as well.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia

Anyone know when we would find out if he refuses to report it makes a lot of sense if he still wants to play Nhl level hockey

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

Unless he has had massive success with his investments to date, it is hard to imagine him walking away from the opportunity to put about $4 million in the bank. He is a young man by real world standards.
If he goes to a city with lower taxes or no taxes, he could sign for about half of what he signed for with us and still net more while playing in the NHL instead of the AHL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I'd be really surprised to see him forego 3 years of a guaranteed contract but stranger things have happened.

Best case scenario would be for him to get picked up off the wire by a D-starved team. Or, MB pulling some trade but if there was one to be had, it would happened already. Maybe with one less year on his contract, he might become a lot more appealing at this time next year.

As others have mentioned, he's a genuinely nice guy and a lot of us are wishing him well no matter what.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If Alzner were to choose not to report it would make more him to do it next off-season after his bonus is paid in July. The salary he'd be owed the last two years would be $5M total, after making $18M of the total $23M of his deal he was owed, maybe (hopefully) he'll say **** it and just not report then.

I don't have a problem with him staying in the AHL this year given we still have plenty of cap space, I would rather him over Ouellet at this point.. but if Romanov comes next year that pushes him even further down the depth chart.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
If he goes to a city with lower taxes or no taxes, he could sign for about half of what he signed for with us and still net more while playing in the NHL instead of the AHL.

You know that when people say no taxes they mean no state tax?

There is still federal income tax.

So explain the math to me. Pick a jurisdiction with an NHL team and show me.

Do you think Alzner could sign for 3 years at $2.5 million dollars?

How can he be certain that the team that signs him would be in a tax advantaged jurisdiction?

Last edited:

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Bergevin sweating bullets that none of his scrubs gets claimed and that he can keep them all for himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: habsfan891

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If Alzner were to choose not to report it would make more him to do it next off-season after his bonus is paid in July. The salary he'd be owed the last two years would be $5M total, after making $18M of the total $23M of his deal he was owed, maybe (hopefully) he'll say **** it and just not report then.

I don't have a problem with him staying in the AHL this year given we still have plenty of cap space, I would rather him over Ouellet at this point.. but if Romanov comes next year that pushes him even further down the depth chart.

No one is picking up Alzner or Ouilette,and Alzner showed more than Ouilette. Habs are stuck with them sadly until they time out.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Ok, this is all fun, but the reality is even if he's overpayed, if he was good enough to play in the NHL, he would play for the Habs. The Canadiens don't have cap problems, so his salary is not an issue. In my opinion, if he walks out on his contract, he's not looking at a contract at half of its current value, he's looking at league minimum for 1 year if he's lucky. Chances are he would get a 2-way contract. Either way, he would still get sent to the AHL regardless. So no, he will not walk away from his undeserved contract.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

What career? He's already signed his very last contract and can't afford not to get paid can he?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad