GDT: ALL Vegas Expansion talk here -who do the Bruins protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
ill put up a vegas roster as I would do it if I'm in charge

first I'm predicting only 2 trades to get vegas to pass on certain players... one from Anaheim to pass on manson and one on islanders to pass on strome/bailey/de haan

I'm also going to suggest that vegas signs alexander radulov as an ufa to get some offense... I predict they will be selecting a few Russians and already have shipachev

so heres their lineup as I see it for next year

alexander radulov/Vadim shipyachev/ {nail yakupov and alexander burnistov}
josh anderson/eric stall/james neal
lee stemniak/marcus kruger/troy brouwer
kyle cliffard/casey cizkas/cody eakin
Michael raffi/derek dorsett

Jason demers/sami vatranan
zack bogosian/alexei emelin
colin miller/ben lovejoy
griffen reinhart

petr Mazak
antti raanta

leaving the following players for trades for picks/prospects
marc methot
paul martin
marc andre fleury
calvin pickard
phillip grubeur

vegas doesn't line up well for us as a potential trade partner if my predictions come to pass. I think they will get a first from the islanders and a second from Anaheim... then I think methot is worth a first.. marc andre fleury might be worth a first... the other guys probably seconds. leaves vegas with 4 picks in the first and 5 in the second to begin their team building.

could we get in on a trade for josh Anderson and marc methot?

maybe send vegas matt belesky, one of our kid left shot dmen, and our first round pick for marc methot and josh Anderson? I really like that josh Anderson brings some ability to fight and some serious grit to our forward group and methot has shown that hes a great partner for a gambling dman... put him with Charlie mcavoy for a couple years to help mcavoy get some confidence.

as for vegas... if those Russians gel together... goaltending has a chance to be strong... the defense will be adequet... those second and third lines are as good as most teams can put on the ice... I could see this vegas team challenging for a playoff spot

I didn't check the caphit for my lineup but if theres room to spend they might even be able to add one of the few top ufa available on the market and really look pretty decent on paper

Love the passion and lot of interesting stuff but Josh Anderson is part of the deal with Columbus they will not take him

So he won't be coming to Boston unless Columbus traded him to us and they aren't

Josh Anderson tidbit : the great Dom Tiano and me and my daughter were down at the locker room after a Knights game and Dom told my kid that's Josh Anderson and she got a bunch of photos with Josh in his hockey pants and t shirt and messed up hair :laugh:

Anyways Mike you have from what I gather 3 or more guys who have the wink wink won't be taken

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
yes saw that mentioned earlier this morning, however also have the comments out of vegas that theyve made no final deals and that all teams will have a chance to make their best offer to keep their players

i think that means the annaheim, islander, columbus, minnesota deals may not be carved in stone

i can see vegas taking vatanan instead of manson for a second... still get a valuable player.

i can see minnesota not caring who they lose from their 3 guys

i do see islanders willing to give up a first to protect 3 players as rumored. .. vegas can still take a world class bottom 6 center

once columbus protects anderson though what does vegas get? a late first might not beat other offers. personally id rather have anderson than a late first.

i dont doubt columbus will try to protect anderson, but im not convinced its a done deal

I'm really not sure what you are talking about? Do you think the Jackets would have left Anderson off the protected list if a deal wasn't already in place?

The report was that the Jackets gave up their 1st (no word of it was 2017/18) and a prospect not named Dubois or Milano for Vegas to stay away from Anderson, JMFJ, and Korpisalo...and select one of Karlsson, Calvert, or other.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...nights-draft-protection-report-131648385.html

So, regardless of your thoughts on this about the deal not being "carved in stone", I will take Portzline's word for it. Plus, the CBJ protection list speaks for itself. Anderson would be protected if a deal hadn't been worked out.

Can't imagine the Jackets are thrilled with Hartnell not waiving his NMC?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Love the passion and lot of interesting stuff but Josh Anderson is part of the deal with Columbus they will not take him

So he won't be coming to Boston unless Columbus traded him to us and they aren't

Josh Anderson tidbit : the great Dom Tiano and me and my daughter were down at the locker room after a Knights game and Dom told my kid that's Josh Anderson and she got a bunch of photos with Josh in his hockey pants and t shirt and messed up hair :laugh:

Anyways Mike you have from what I gather 3 or more guys who have the wink wink won't be taken

just heard pierre mcquire on tsn morning show... he says a gm told him point blank im not giving up anything to lose an asset... he went on to say it wont be likely that vegas ends up with all these rumored picks

he might be wrong... hes been wrong before. certainly i dont talk to inside sources like he and you and others do...

but you and i are old enough, weve seen alot of stuff happen. ive never found an insider that is right more than 25% of the time. i enjoy what they leak for entertainment value but i understand league tampering rules. i know teams cant leak specific details without a penalty

and you and i have both seen 1 gm say... i thought this was the deal. the other gm say... i thought it was this

honestly when the gm themselves get confused over the details and see trades change at the last second... im not going to take what some reporter writes in his paper as gospel.

even the kyle wanvig/jonas hoglund trade fell apart and that actually was agreed upon by both teams... but a broken fax machine killed that 'rumor'

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
just heard pierre mcquire on tsn morning show... he says a gm told him point blank im not giving up anything to lose an asset... he went on to say it wont be likely that vegas ends up with all these rumored picks

Ken Holland is on record saying this.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Looking at FLAs unprotected list gave me a chuckle.

A few of the guys on there, including good ol Reilly Smith, just signed heavy contracts last summer :laugh:

Mistakes were made :popcorn:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

A few of the guys on there, including good ol Reilly Smith, just signed heavy contracts last summer :laugh:

What's that saying about casting stones? (Boston with Hayes, Beleskey and Backes.)

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'm really not sure what you are talking about? Do you think the Jackets would have left Anderson off the protected list if a deal wasn't already in place?

The report was that the Jackets gave up their 1st (no word of it was 2017/18) and a prospect not named Dubois or Milano for Vegas to stay away from Anderson, JMFJ, and Korpisalo...and select one of Karlsson, Calvert, or other.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...nights-draft-protection-report-131648385.html

So, regardless of your thoughts on this about the deal not being "carved in stone", I will take Portzline's word for it. Plus, the CBJ protection list speaks for itself. Anderson would be protected if a deal hadn't been worked out.

Can't imagine the Jackets are thrilled with Hartnell not waiving his NMC?

Hartnell - ever the agitator

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
John Shannon provided an on air SN interview on the protected lists. Commented that his understanding of the situation is that Vegas has as many as 9 deals already in place.

Have to give the NHL credit for pairing the team roster announcement with the awards show. It will be certain to help with what has been low audience viewing numbers in recent years.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
The Isles long history of head scratching organizational decisions appears to have continued with the expansion draft according to Prohockey's Seth Lawrence.

"All in all, the Islanders and GM Garth Snow have stolen the show today for most bewildering decision. Unless the deal with Vegas is far more encompassing than it appears at the moment, they are looking to lose a solid contributor and a 1st-round pick when both could have been avoided."
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/06/islanders-perplexing-vegas.html

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The Isles long history of head scratching organizational decisions appears to have continued with the expansion draft according to Prohockey's Seth Lawrence.

"All in all, the Islanders and GM Garth Snow have stolen the show today for most bewildering decision. Unless the deal with Vegas is far more encompassing than it appears at the moment, they are looking to lose a solid contributor and a 1st-round pick when both could have been avoided."
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/06/islanders-perplexing-vegas.html

When I saw that they went 5 D on their list I was like WTF? I assume they have a deal in place to protect key guys, and if they are giving up the 15th pick, I assume it's going to cover both F's and D.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Wasting him as one of your picks would be a mistake for LV too.

Agree, if you are Las Vegas why take a player who may just be an AHL/NHL depth D instead of a player like McQuaid who has played top 4 minutes, is a good penalty killer, fights and plays hard? A player you could easily flip at this deadline or next for a decent pick to a contender?

Colin Miller may be good but he is defiantly getting the HF "He's going to be a star" treatment like Koko and so many others have.

By the way, the mighty koko is available so I'm sure McPhee will just jump all over him because he can see what a stud he is and how Boston mismanaged him and never gave the next Ovie a shot :sarcasm:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Agree, if you are Las Vegas why take a player who may just be an AHL/NHL depth D instead of a player like McQuaid who has played top 4 minutes, is a good penalty killer, fights and plays hard? A player you could easily flip at this deadline or next for a decent pick to a contender?

Colin Miller may be good but he is defiantly getting the HF "He's going to be a star" treatment like Koko and so many others have.

By the way, the mighty koko is available so I'm sure McPhee will just jump all over him because he can see what a stud he is and how Boston mismanaged him and never gave the next Ovie a shot :sarcasm:

I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that has said Colin Miller will be a star. Everyone agrees that he needs work in a lot of areas.

The difference between him and guys like McQ and Killer is that we aren't sure of what he is yet.

Nice try though.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Nobody here is saying Colin Miller is the next great thing. But the guy is 24. You have no idea what he will be at 28. May be out of the league by then. May be a serviceable 4-6 guy. Hey maybe he turns into Justin Schultz. Remember Edmonton gave him away for a 6th?

People are making losing McQuaid or Miller out to be something it's not. We know what they are. Third pair guys. They aren't second pair guys. Their ceiling is 3rd pair, with 10-20 games missed with injuries. They are however great team guys, so I get that.

If I have two bags of plain mms and one of mm peanuts, I'm gonna give you your choice of which bag of plain mms you want.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The difference between him and guys like McQ and Killer is that we aren't sure of what he is yet.

Nice try though.

We don't know what Kevan Miller is yet either. Look at what he was able to do in the playoffs. Very few if any saw that coming.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Marchessault is the guy there. Florida are idiots. They could have protected Bjugstad, Smith and Marchessault over Alex Petrovic (who sucks btw), but that's Florida, going with the 4-4-1. They must have been watching too many McPhee fight videos on YouTube.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Nobody here is saying Colin Miller is the next great thing. But the guy is 24. You have no idea what he will be at 28. May be out of the league by then. May be a serviceable 4-6 guy. Hey maybe he turns into Justin Schultz. Remember Edmonton gave him away for a 6th?

People are making losing McQuaid or Miller out to be something it's not. We know what they are. Third pair guys. They aren't second pair guys. Their ceiling is 3rd pair, with 10-20 games missed with injuries. They are however great team guys, so I get that.

If I have two bags of plain mms and one of mm peanuts, I'm gonna give you your choice of which bag of plain mms you want.

Justin Schultz or Matt Bartkowski, I'm leaning toward the latter.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
We don't know what Kevan Miller is yet either. Look at what he was able to do in the playoffs. Very few if any saw that coming.

6 games. Could have easily just been a favorable matchup.

Prior to that the team didn't see fit to play him more than 18 minutes a night this season.

I'm going with the 217 games prior to that that say yeah, we know exactly what he is.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I knew we were going to protect K. Miller. I had a feeling we valued his contract and he was a solid player last year in the right role. Although C. Miller probably won't be a stud, he is far from a finished product. He's only 24 years old. A C. Miller with another 2-3 seasons under his belt could probably turn into an excellent third pairing guy. He's already a decent one. Though he needs work in his own end and time to put it all together, unfortunately.
This leads me to believe that the B's valued Kevan's immediate impact versus Colin's possible improvement in several years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Marchessault is the guy there. Florida are idiots. They could have protected Bjugstad, Smith and Marchessault over Alex Petrovic (who sucks btw), but that's Florida, going with the 4-4-1. They must have been watching too many McPhee fight videos on YouTube.

That was crazy ..... move by Florida.
Tallon said his biggest target is to improve scoring and he exposes 2 of his top6 wingers over Bjugstad/petrovic.
What a terrible terrible decision by them.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Justin Schultz or Matt Bartkowski, I'm leaning toward the latter.

Maybe so. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep if he's taken, but that goes for McQuaid and Killer as well.

I will however be pissed if McPhee takes one and deals him for a good asset, or McQuaid winds up in Montreal or Toronto.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that has said Colin Miller will be a star. Everyone agrees that he needs work in a lot of areas.

Nice try though.

Yeah cause third pair guys are easy to come by, especially ones with intangibles like McQuaid who can play top 4 minutes if needed. I like C.Millers skill set, including his physical game, maybe he puts it all together, for the sake of a player who seems like a nice kid I hope he does. I'm still keeping the established player over the shiny new toy that may not be what you think it is.

I also would save 30.00 bucks instead of buying a lottery ticket for a chance to win 10M. Take the sure thing, if you are Vegas it makes more sense to take Miller, you aren't going any where in the next couple year as and there is plenty of toughness at forward available to select. Bruins have virtually none and should have protected McQuaid. At least they protected the right Miller.

Oh and the HF hype machine has been alive and well discussing C.Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad