GDT: ALL Vegas Expansion talk here -who do the Bruins protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
They dont have to protect Domo because he is a UFA and Vegas can just offer him a contract and still pick a player from the Bruins list!

I'm pretty sure if you sign any teams UFA that counts as your pick from that team,so you wouldn't be taking another pick from that team.

You're both right...sort of.

If the Vegas Golden Knights were to sign Dominic Moore in the time between 10 AM this morning and 10 AM Wednesday, which they are allowed to do, he would count as their pick from the Bruins. VGK is the ONLY team allowed to "poach" a UFA like Moore this early, because free agency is not open yet. The price of poaching him early is that he's one of the 30 first Knights, and they don't get another Bruin.

If they don't sign Moore early, then VGK could just make a standard pick, like Chiller or McQuaid. Then, free agency opens up on July 1, just like it does most years. Because DoMo is a UFA, VGK could sign him, just like any other team in the league. That's how they'd get two former Bruins on their roster.

All that said, it's doubtful that VGK signs and picks Moore early. First of all, from Vegas' POV, they have Chiller and McQuaid as possibilities. I think both of them are at least a half-step above Moore - probably more, when you consider Moore's age. Second, from Moore's POV, he quite possibly wants to explore free agency...or at least use that exploration as a way to get a better contract from the Bruins. Signing with VGK requires Moore to bypass this exploration, AND means that he's going to Vegas fairly late in his career, meaning it's virtually certain he won't win a Cup, and possibly unlikely that he'll even make the playoffs ever again.

Reference for UFA rules:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712559-2017-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-and-how-it-works

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
I think you will still see guys dealt before the Amateur draft. Both COL and BOS had no serious issues protecting the guys they wanted and there is no reason a deal for Landeskog could not be worked out Thursday or Friday after the freeze is lifted.

Did you watch Landeskog play? He's not the answer.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
ill put up a vegas roster as I would do it if I'm in charge

first I'm predicting only 2 trades to get vegas to pass on certain players... one from Anaheim to pass on manson and one on islanders to pass on strome/bailey/de haan

I'm also going to suggest that vegas signs alexander radulov as an ufa to get some offense... I predict they will be selecting a few Russians and already have shipachev

so heres their lineup as I see it for next year

alexander radulov/Vadim shipyachev/ {nail yakupov and alexander burnistov}
josh anderson/eric stall/james neal
lee stemniak/marcus kruger/troy brouwer
kyle cliffard/casey cizkas/cody eakin
Michael raffi/derek dorsett

Jason demers/sami vatranan
zack bogosian/alexei emelin
colin miller/ben lovejoy
griffen reinhart

petr Mazak
antti raanta

leaving the following players for trades for picks/prospects
marc methot
paul martin
marc andre fleury
calvin pickard
phillip grubeur

vegas doesn't line up well for us as a potential trade partner if my predictions come to pass. I think they will get a first from the islanders and a second from Anaheim... then I think methot is worth a first.. marc andre fleury might be worth a first... the other guys probably seconds. leaves vegas with 4 picks in the first and 5 in the second to begin their team building.

could we get in on a trade for josh Anderson and marc methot?

maybe send vegas matt belesky, one of our kid left shot dmen, and our first round pick for marc methot and josh Anderson? I really like that josh Anderson brings some ability to fight and some serious grit to our forward group and methot has shown that hes a great partner for a gambling dman... put him with Charlie mcavoy for a couple years to help mcavoy get some confidence.

as for vegas... if those Russians gel together... goaltending has a chance to be strong... the defense will be adequet... those second and third lines are as good as most teams can put on the ice... I could see this vegas team challenging for a playoff spot

I didn't check the caphit for my lineup but if theres room to spend they might even be able to add one of the few top ufa available on the market and really look pretty decent on paper

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You're both right...sort of.

If the Vegas Golden Knights were to sign Dominic Moore in the time between 10 AM this morning and 10 AM Wednesday, which they are allowed to do, he would count as their pick from the Bruins. VGK is the ONLY team allowed to "poach" a UFA like Moore this early, because free agency is not open yet. The price of poaching him early is that he's one of the 30 first Knights, and they don't get another Bruin.

If they don't sign Moore early, then VGK could just make a standard pick, like Chiller or McQuaid. Then, free agency opens up on July 1, just like it does most years. Because DoMo is a UFA, VGK could sign him, just like any other team in the league. That's how they'd get two former Bruins on their roster.

All that said, it's doubtful that VGK signs and picks Moore early. First of all, from Vegas' POV, they have Chiller and McQuaid as possibilities. I think both of them are at least a half-step above Moore - probably more, when you consider Moore's age. Second, from Moore's POV, he quite possibly wants to explore free agency...or at least use that exploration as a way to get a better contract from the Bruins. Signing with VGK requires Moore to bypass this exploration, AND means that he's going to Vegas fairly late in his career, meaning it's virtually certain he won't win a Cup, and possibly unlikely that he'll even make the playoffs ever again.

Reference for UFA rules:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712559-2017-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-and-how-it-works

You are correct, if they wait until July 1st they can have it both ways but they will have to compete with 30 other teams,

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

first I'm predicting only 2 trades to get vegas to pass on certain players... one from Anaheim to pass on manson and one on islanders to pass on strome/bailey/de haan

I'm also going to suggest that vegas signs alexander radulov as an ufa to get some offense... I predict they will be selecting a few Russians and already have shipachev

colin miller/ben lovejoy
griffen reinhart

petr Mazak
antti raanta

marc methot
paul martin
marc andre fleury
calvin pickard
phillip grubeur

vegas doesn't line up well for us as a potential trade partner if my predictions come to pass. I think they will get a first from the islanders and a second from Anaheim... then I think methot is worth a first.. marc andre fleury might be worth a first... the other guys probably seconds. leaves vegas with 4 picks in the first and 5 in the second to begin their team building.

maybe send vegas matt belesky, one of our kid left shot dmen, and our first round pick for marc methot and josh Anderson? I really like that josh Anderson brings some ability to fight and some serious grit to our forward group and methot has shown that hes a great partner for a gambling dman... put him with Charlie mcavoy for a couple years to help mcavoy get some confidence.

as for vegas... if those Russians gel together... goaltending has a chance to be strong... the defense will be adequet... those second and third lines are as good as most teams can put on the ice... I could see this vegas team challenging for a playoff spot

I didn't check the caphit for my lineup but if theres room to spend they might even be able to add one of the few top ufa available on the market and really look pretty decent on paper

Nice work with that lineup, dude.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
They dont have to protect Domo because he is a UFA and Vegas can just offer him a contract and still pick a player from the Bruins list!

Oh, right. I forgot he's UFA. Well, that just further underscores why they chose to protect Nash. I mean, it could be a toss-up between him and Schaller from the bottom 6. I thought Nash played well. Good PK.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

colin miller/ben lovejoy
griffen reinhart

petr Mazak
antti raanta

marc methot
paul martin
marc andre fleury
calvin pickard
phillip grubeur

Damm , I didn't do the leg work, but you did a good job, hard to argue with your choices, I would bet that's a competitive team.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I can understand the arguments about protecting Kevan over Colin based strictly on his performance, but could we please stop with this assumption that Chiller cannot improve. When Kevan was Collins's age, he was a rookie in the AHL. He spent several seasons in the AHL before becoming a part time NHL player. Colin Miller is literally years ahead of where Kevan was. I'm hoping Sweeney has something worked out around Beleskey so Chiller returns.

For sure, he could improve, and your point is taken, age-wise. Obviously I could be wrong, but there's something about Colin's game and his decision-making that doesn't instill me with faith his his future. Maybe some more AHL time is exactly what he needs then.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think you will still see guys dealt before the Amateur draft. Both COL and BOS had no serious issues protecting the guys they wanted and there is no reason a deal for Landeskog could not be worked out Thursday or Friday after the freeze is lifted.

I have watched a lot of Landeskog and he would be an excellent pickup - plays a complete game

Colorado is a dumpster fire and he's been in a bad situation

Landeskog more skilled but has that Doug Risebrough second line Swiss Army knife to his game

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I have watched a lot of Landeskog and he would be an excellent pickup - plays a complete game

Landeskog more skilled but has that Doug Risebrough second line Swiss Army knife to his game

Sweeney has to be bold. He needs a big move like this to go his way. It would be disappointing to see him not pull off Landeskog considering all the hype and rumors about him coming to Boston.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Never to brash for me, have it. When a rumour has been around since JC Himself, you can sweep them under the rug, no one will notice.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Khoklachev - Shipachyov - Yakupov
Boedker - R. Strome - Bennett
C. Wilson - Grigorenko - Stempniak
Sundqvist - Shinkaruk - Connolly

I also have the Shores, Stalberg, Anderson, Fast and Leipsic.

Vatanen/Kulikov
Demers/Dumba
TvR/Enstrom

Dotchin/Mychalek/Gryba for 4th rounder bait.

Mrazek
Montoya
Mason

Should be fun to see how many of these guys actually play for LV. I'll go with 5.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I don't want the Bruins to trade for this guy especially if it cost Carlo

If you're referring to Landeskog, the Bruins shouldn't trade for him, period.

In any event, I think that Colorado deals only one of their "big three" of Landeskog, Duchene and MacKinnon--and it will be Duchene.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island

colin miller/ben lovejoy
griffen reinhart

petr Mazak
antti raanta

marc methot
paul martin
marc andre fleury
calvin pickard
phillip grubeur

See this post is a very different philosophy than what I took with my draft. I'm not hating but this is a team to finish 21-25th or something full of older players with no upside. I'm not sure that's what they are trying to do at this point. I also don't think they want to spend to the cap yet either. You're at 65 million without taking into account contracts for the two top line Russians. I don;t think Vegas is trying to put together the hypothetical best lineup. They want value and assets and flexibility moving forward.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
See this post is a very different philosophy than what I took with my draft. I'm not hating but this is a team to finish 21-25th or something full of older players with no upside. I'm not sure that's what they are trying to do at this point. I also don't think they want to spend to the cap yet either. You're at 65 million without taking into account contracts for the two top line Russians. I don;t think Vegas is trying to put together the hypothetical best lineup. They want value and assets and flexibility moving forward.

But really, who wants to spend weeks taking every factor into account? I'd be happy to...heh...but someone would have to pay for the time...

That's a good defense you put up. Solid players.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

colin miller/ben lovejoy
griffen reinhart

petr Mazak
antti raanta

marc methot
paul martin
marc andre fleury
calvin pickard
phillip grubeur

Josh Anderson is not going to be selected by Vegas. Before the protected list was even released, Aaron Portzline reported that the Jackets were one of the teams sending a 1st to the Knights to stay away from Anderson, Korpisalo, and JMFJ.

So, you can scrap that idea.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Did you watch Landeskog play? He's not the answer.

I have, and I love his game. He's a three zone player, physical, plays on both special teams.

Dan, agreed. That Avs team last year was awful and everyone but MacKinnon struggled. Look at Soderberg's stats here and his first year in COL vs last season. I think that Landeskog would be excellent in Boston, and he's young enough to grow with their younger players.

Never to brash for me, have it. When a rumour has been around since JC Himself, you can sweep them under the rug, no one will notice.

Sometimes, when rumors have been prevalent at the TDL, it means that teams have laid the groundwork for a deal and they get done much easier in the offseason.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You are correct, if they wait until July 1st they can have it both ways but they will have to compete with 30 other teams,

Same rules for RFA's I believe? If Vegas signs an RFA (cannot be on protected list) during the exclusive period, the team that owns his rights does not get compensated, but their Expansion pick is satisfied and that's the player they "lose".

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Josh Anderson is not going to be selected by Vegas. Before the protected list was even released, Aaron Portzline reported that the Jackets were one of the teams sending a 1st to the Knights to stay away from Anderson, Korpisalo, and JMFJ.

So, you can scrap that idea.

yes saw that mentioned earlier this morning, however also have the comments out of vegas that theyve made no final deals and that all teams will have a chance to make their best offer to keep their players

i think that means the annaheim, islander, columbus, minnesota deals may not be carved in stone

i can see vegas taking vatanan instead of manson for a second... still get a valuable player.

i can see minnesota not caring who they lose from their 3 guys

i do see islanders willing to give up a first to protect 3 players as rumored. .. vegas can still take a world class bottom 6 center

once columbus protects anderson though what does vegas get? a late first might not beat other offers. personally id rather have anderson than a late first.

i dont doubt columbus will try to protect anderson, but im not convinced its a done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad