F Krejci (Mandated)
F Backes (Mandated)
F Marchand (Assumed)
F Pastrnak (Assumed)
F Spooner (Assumed)

D Chara (Mandated)
D Krug (Assumed)

G Rask (Assumed)

That on its own would meet the expansion draft requirements, but the Bruins would be able to protect one additional forward + one additional D-man (has to be one of each or nothing) if they choose to. Below are the players that are on track to be left exposed to Vegas for the expansion draft if they are not protected.

Forwards Left Unprotected

Beleskey
Hayes
Nash
Moore
Schaller

Defense Left Unprotected

C. Miller
K. Miller
McQuaid
Liles

Goalies Left Unprotected

Subban
Khudobin

So the question is, do you stay stand pat at 8, or protect an additional forward + D-man?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Colin Miller should also be protected IMO.

Which forward would you protect along with him then? If C. Miller is protected, an additional forward has to be protected as well (assuming you agree with the 8 skaters being kept to begin with).

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
C. Miller unless he's upgraded at the TDL.

Possibly a forward we acquire as well. None of the ones listed under unprotected are worth that much anyways.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I dont see how C Miller isnt the D Choice.

As for the forwards, does it really matter? Domo seems to be the most NHL consistent - but really its a Macintosh or a Gala apple. Different flavor but still an apple.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Too bad Sweeney wasted so many picks on Liles+Stempniak last year.

What would be more usefull thing to do with these picks would be to give them to Vegas to take Beleskey off our hands.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

What would be more usefull thing to do with these picks would be to give them to Vegas to take Beleskey off our hands.

Throw in the wasted picks on Rinaldo and Connolly (from years ago). A lot of picks going to complete waste.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I think this thread was ultimately created to discuss nothing. We have the most trivially easy expansion situation. You could debate between the Miller's, and they'll take the more favorable cap hit.

You then have your last forward spot open, and frankly it barely matters. They'll either trade for someone for that last slot, or it'll be a pretty mediocre player not named Belesky.

/thread

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I doubt it take a very high pick to get VGK to take a certain player. Obviously the worse the contract the higher the pick, but I think you could get them to take just about anyone we don't want for a 3rd/4th

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With the trade deadline 5 days away, wouldn't it be better to wait for this poll in case some things change?

Either way, I'll play along. It's a no-brainer to go 7 F/3 D.

Protected

Schaller

Colin

Rask

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
The Bruins should hold onto C.Miller. He has taken steps forward this year, and if that means also protecting a guy like Tim Schaller, I'll take that trade off. Hopefully that also increases the chances of Vegas taking a bad contract off our hands.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I go with C. Miller and Schaller. Moore may be more valuable, but, at age 36, Vegas may shy away. Then Sweeney can decide to re-sign him. I'd try to trade for a RW (Virtanen?) and expose Schaller, Nash, Hayes and Beleskey.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
this stuff just confuses me, just not one who can wrap his head around the whole thing, if anyone can simplify it for me I`d be grateful

I`m probably making it more complicated than need be

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
With the trade deadline 5 days away, wouldn't it be better to wait for this poll in case some things change?

Either way, I'll play along. It's a no-brainer to go 7 F/3 D.

Protected

Schaller

Colin

Rask

If Vegas could take Hayes, K Miller, Maquaid or Belesky it would be great.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I really cannot imagine Vegas taking Hayes. Beleskey maybe but I am sure there are other forwards in the league that have more potential and more than 5 points!!!

wouldn`t be so sure of that. While his game has hardly produced results on the score sheet, I have actually been ok with his game moreso than Beleskey`s recently

Now, to be fair, the bar wasn`t exactly set very high;)

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
this stuff just confuses me, just not one who can wrap his head around the whole thing, if anyone can simplify it for me I`d be grateful

All from the wiki.

Rules
Protection:
Teams can protect 7 fowards, 3 defensemen and 1 goalie
OR
Teams can protect 8 skaters and 1 goalie

Must expose:
Teams must expose at least 2 forwards and 1 defensemen with at least 40 games played in 2016-17 season or 70 games in the past 2 seasons combined AND player must be contracted for the 2017-18 season. Goalie must be exposed and be under contract for the 2017-18 season OR be an RFA in 2017.

Basically, 3 things from my understanding.
1. The number players the Bruins per position can protect are listed above. (NMC's are automatically added, and the rest are logical picks at this point). Bruins are doing 7 F, 3 D, and Rask (likely), unless players are added at TDL that change this
2. The small requirement of unprotected players. (the Bruins meet this, easily without massive selling)
3. Any players with more than 2 years NHL experience that are RFA's or contracted beyond next season can be selected if they are not on the list.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I doubt it take a very high pick to get VGK to take a certain player. Obviously the worse the contract the higher the pick, but I think you could get them to take just about anyone we don't want for a 3rd/4th

Thing is, Bruins don't have many picks left this year after all those wasted last year.

1st
2nd
4th
6th
7th
7th

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/bruins

If they give their 4th, they don't pick after round 2 untill the 6th round...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
All from the wiki.

Rules
Protection:
Teams can protect 7 fowards, 3 defensemen and 1 goalie
OR
Teams can protect 8 skaters and 1 goalie

Must expose:
Teams must expose at least 2 forwards and 1 defensemen with at least 40 games played in 2016-17 season or 70 games in the past 2 seasons combined AND player must be contracted for the 2017-18 season. Goalie must be exposed and be under contract for the 2017-18 season OR be an RFA in 2017.

Basically, 3 things from my understanding.
1. The number players the Bruins per position can protect are listed above. (NMC's are automatically added, and the rest are logical picks at this point). Bruins are doing 7 F, 3 D, and Rask (likely)
2. The small requirement of unprotected players. (the Bruins meet this, easily without massive selling)
3. Any players with more than 2 years NHL experience that are RFA's or contracted beyond next season can be selected if they are not on the list.

thank you

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

It took me a minute to figure out, but basically teams can protect either 7F, 3D, 1G or 8 Skaters any position and 1 G. Guys with NMCs must be protected. Teams have to make available at least 2F 1 D and 1G who are under contract for the coming season OR have played at least 40 NHL games this season or 70 NHL games over the past two seasons. Players in their first or second year of NHL contracts are exempt from being drafted as are all unsigned draft picks.

Vegas has to take one player from each team and have at least 14F, 9D and 3G in those 30 players (so no taking 25 forwards, for example).

Theoretically they could take someone from Providence like Rinaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->