GDT: ALL Vegas Expansion talk here -who do the Bruins protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
probably about 25th overall, although hard to say now before seeing their final roster. i think they have a decent shot to be better than colorado, vancouver and arizona in the west alone though.

Arizona is dumping salary and they will be hard pressed to make the floor. Many suspect this will be the final year of the Coyotes and they will be sold for far less than the expansion fee to new owners in either Houston, Portland or Kansas City. Coyotes don't have a set arena after next season and it looks bleak there.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
nevermind, I was wrong about Subban's waiver situation

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
They do need another D for the PK, but last year Carlo was far better on the PK than McQuaid or Miller. He was in fact the best on the team (statistically... but remember since SH situations are few, you are always dealing with small sample sizes).

GA/60 on the PK
Carlo 3.99
Chara 4.55
KMiller 5.18
McQuaid 5.96

Agreed. Carlo was great, although my guess is his second half stats were a drag on his first (excellent) half of season. Not a slam on Carlo, just an indication of how young D ebb and flow a bit early on.

My main point is that neither McQuaid nor KMiller are scrubs and that having tough fairly steady Dmen to compliment young players is a good thing. Although I am not convinced we need both -- even though I love guys who play through hell and give it all.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
LV will have quite the dee next year, Vatanen, Methot, Dumba, De Haan, Schmidt, Sustr, etc. If an Vegas I am loading up on dee and making trades to get forwards. B's should wait until after the draft then pluck some one from the roster, or make a side deal now with them.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Why C Miller was exposed.

But sharp thinking under pressure is a requirement for defensemen. This quality may come with time. To this point, it is not something the scattershot Miller has mastered.

Miller is still developing, like many defensemen his age. But his history shows a tendency to skate pucks into traps, second-guess himself when clear and rapid processing power is needed, and hammer shots into traffic or wide of the net.

To that end, the Bruins left Miller exposed among their cluster of possibly Vegas-bound players in Wednesday’s expansion draft. At the same time, the Bruins protected Kevan Miller, who proved dependable in ways Colin Miller has not.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...d-expansion/yDWRch7OKwCOSeArPslfxK/story.html

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He better be!

The National Hockey League announced today, April 19, that Boston Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron has been named a finalist for the 2017 Frank J. Selke Trophy. Anaheim Ducks forward Ryan Kesler and Minnesota Wild forward Mikko Koivu are the other two finalists for the award, which is given annually to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season, and will be announced at the NHL Awards in Las Vegas on June 21.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Riley Nash is at the bottom of my forward depth chart. Just remember who was on the ice for the overtime goal (and I would say, partly his fault). Not to mention being an offensive black hole of Campbell proportions. I would have protected Randell. Or Schaller. Or the catfish hidden in somebody's coat.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Can't argue with the B's list. Nash was the obvious choice if you're protecting 7 F. We didn't really have a full Top 6 all season. Vatrano doesn't need to be protected. So it's the top 5 + Spooner... and who else that needs to be protected was more effective than Nash? Maybe Moore, but maybe the B's are gambling that Vegas won't take Moore? Or maybe they're just on the fence about keeping DoMo.

That's what's fascinating about this. Like ODAAT, I'm not sure if I can wrap my head around all the variables either, especially with all the possible backroom agreements. But I assume teams' strategies include exposing a player they might prefer to keep, on the assumption that Vegas probably won't choose him, whether because of contract or age, or some other factor.

So, hypothetically, maybe the Bruins would rather keep both DoMo and Nash, but they figure Vegas is less likely to pick DoMo for whatever reason, so they expose him and protect Nash. Just all hypothetical. I just mean "Player A" vs "Player B".

Which raises the question: Were teams allowed to discuss between each other which players they were protecting? Or was that verboten? I assume it wasn't allowed?

I also agree with protecting K Miller over C Miller, especially if they're also exposing McQuaid. I get the skill set argument, but I think Kevan was simply the more effective Dman last season, and showed great improvement, whereas C Miller, while he has potential, I think he also has potential to just never quite put it all together.

Gonna be an interesting summer.:popcorn:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Can't argue with the B's list. Nash was the obvious choice if you're protecting 7 F. We didn't really have a full Top 6 all season. Vatrano doesn't need to be protected. So it's the top 5 + Spooner... and who else that needs to be protected was more effective than Nash? Maybe Moore, but maybe the B's are gambling that Vegas won't take Moore? Or maybe they're just on the fence about keeping DoMo.

That's what's fascinating about this. Like ODAAT, I'm not sure if I can wrap my head around all the variables either, especially with all the possible backroom agreements. But I assume teams' strategies include exposing a player they might prefer to keep, on the assumption that Vegas probably won't choose him, whether because of contract or age, or some other factor.

So, hypothetically, maybe the Bruins would rather keep both DoMo and Nash, but they figure Vegas is less likely to pick DoMo for whatever reason, so they expose him and protect Nash. Just all hypothetical. I just mean "Player A" vs "Player B".

Which raises the question: Were teams allowed to discuss between each other which players they were protecting? Or was that verboten? I assume it wasn't allowed?

I also agree with protecting K Miller over C Miller, especially if they're also exposing McQuaid. I get the skill set argument, but I think Kevan was simply the more effective Dman last season, and showed great improvement, whereas C Miller, while he has potential, I think he also has potential to just never quite put it all together.

I can understand the arguments about protecting Kevan over Colin based strictly on his performance, but could we please stop with this assumption that Chiller cannot improve. When Kevan was Collins's age, he was a rookie in the AHL. He spent several seasons in the AHL before becoming a part time NHL player. Colin Miller is literally years ahead of where Kevan was. I'm hoping Sweeney has something worked out around Beleskey so Chiller returns.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This is why I was shocked Don didn't deal...

Also not surprising that we had trouble scoring in the playoffs...

I think you will still see guys dealt before the Amateur draft. Both COL and BOS had no serious issues protecting the guys they wanted and there is no reason a deal for Landeskog could not be worked out Thursday or Friday after the freeze is lifted.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006

They dont have to protect Domo because he is a UFA and Vegas can just offer him a contract and still pick a player from the Bruins list!

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
With the Habs trading Beaulieu and not protecting Radulov should tell us all we need to know on what LV is going for from the Habs. With that said, not sure adding Drouin and losing Radulov makes the Habs any better in the immediate future and certainly not in in the distant future. They are basically in the same place as last year minus the stud D prospect .

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
They dont have to protect Domo because he is a UFA and Vegas can just offer him a contract and still pick a player from the Bruins list!

I'm pretty sure if you sign any teams UFA that counts as your pick from that team,so you wouldn't be taking another pick from that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad