GDT: ALL Vegas Expansion talk here -who do the Bruins protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
When McQuiad was C.Miller's age he played 67 games in the regular season and won a Stanley cup, also played every playoff game on way to the cup.

So are you saying McQuaid is the reason they won the cup?

I'm saying C. Miller is trending upwards as a player, and I'm pretty sure McQuaid is what he is at this point. A bottom pair guy on a good team, and one that shouldn't be relied on to be in the top 4 even in his peak.

But whatever. Yay for McQuaid and Kevan Miller on our bottom pair next year.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Well - Quaider's a better defencman.

As far as Carlo and McAvoy. I think most everyone would have them pencilled in as top 4 RHD going forward, probably next season - but I also think they need to have an option B. Young d-men struggle with consistency. Very good chance that during the season one or both have to have their minutes limited or even spend time in the press box. I don't like the idea of force-feeding minutes to kids simply because you haven't given yourself another option. it isn't good for them nor the team as mistakes can compound pretty quickly.

I've just seen too many promising/talented young defencmen struggle and then have the situation get worse because they have to play them 20 minutes a night.

Long story longer - I'm a lot more comfortable with K. Miller and McQuaid moving up the line-up or taking on more minutes than C. Miller.

And I personally want a defense that K. Miller or McQuaid don't touch the top 4. But that's basically been the Bruins in the recent history.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
In some ways debating the merits of protecting Adam McQuaid, Colin Miller, and Kevan Miller (in addition to also protecting Riley Nash). Speaks to a lot of the issues the team had last year and may have THIS year.

It's great to have a stockpile of B prospects.
It's great to have some cap space.

It's even better if you can use the combination of those two things to improve your top 9 and your transition away from Chara in the top 4.

If they can make those improvements while still keeping Kevan Miller as the 6? Totally fine. Let's see where it goes.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
In some ways debating the merits of protecting Adam McQuaid, Colin Miller, and Kevan Miller (in addition to also protecting Riley Nash). Speaks to a lot of the issues the team had last year and may have THIS year.

It's even better if you can use the combination of those two things to improve your top 9 and your transition away from Chara in the top 4.

If they can make those improvements while still keeping Kevan Miller as the 6? Totally fine. Let's see where it goes.

A defense with Jake Gardiner, Morgan Reilly, and Colon Miller would be about as fast moving the puck as ever seen

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I think Vegas will be hard pressed to take McQ or even C. Miller. Just look at the D they are likely to build. Methot, Jack Johnson, Dumba, De Haan, Vatanen, Bogosian, TVR, and Dotchin. I don't see how McQ or C. Miller really help you there as 8/9 defenseman. Just going to eat up cap space. I think a goalie like Subban will have more value to them or even a forward like Beleskey.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Yeah but this is where the GM has fallen on his face. He's seemingly put himself in a good position here to do exactly as you suggest, but every time in the past he's made a trade for a player or signed him, a few exceptions aside, we've been willing to pay to get rid of that player within a year! And since those prospects have blossomed and seemingly represent a surplus (like over this past year+), he hasn't done a thing.

So let's see what happens. Again he's being super patient/passive/invisible and the excuses are being thrown around. Let's see if he delivers.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
And I personally want a defense that K. Miller or McQuaid don't touch the top 4. But that's basically been the Bruins in the recent history.

I don't mean it as a permanent solution. With Carlo and McAvoy you're not going to bring in a RHD. Hopefully the two kids have great years but they also might struggle over a long season. I'm personally a lot more comfortable with K. Miller or McQuaid taking those minutes than C. Miller or O'Gara.
I wouldn't try to groom three RHD at the same time.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Legitimate not arguable top 4 dmen get moved probably 3-4 times per season with a few being rentals. It's not as easy as asking a rebuilding team and then agreeing to deal one.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If everyone they had to decide on was put up for trade - not sure how I'd rank their returns. If they were just put up for picks I'm not sure what order they'd fall between.
(not in any order)

McQuaid - probably the best - but paid like it.
K. Miller - a slightly lesser version of McQuaid - but paid less.
C. Miller - some upside but hasn't put it together and question whether he will.
Spooner - Talented but flawed and RFA status adds an extra ?
Nash- solid veteran depth
Beleskey - despite his brutal year I'm not sure what teams might think - might give him a pass because of injuries
Vatrano- didn't have to be protected but lumped him in there. jury's still out.
Morrow - might as well toss him into the mix also
Moore and Stafford would be in the same boat if they weren't UFAs.

I could see different teams valuing all these guys in different order (Hayes would be last) depending on need. None would return much in a trade today. Every one of them is probably worth around a 3rd rounder.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
If everyone they had to decide on was put up for trade - not sure how I'd rank their returns. If they were just put up for picks I'm not sure what order they'd fall between.
(not in any order)

McQuaid - probably the best - but paid like it.
K. Miller - a slightly lesser version of McQuaid - but paid less.
C. Miller - some upside but hasn't put it together and question whether he will.
Spooner - Talented but flawed and RFA status adds an extra ?
Nash- solid veteran depth
Beleskey - despite his brutal year I'm not sure what teams might think - might give him a pass because of injuries
Vatrano- didn't have to be protected but lumped him in there. jury's still out.
Morrow - might as well toss him into the mix also
Moore and Stafford would be in the same boat if they weren't UFAs.

I could see different teams valuing all these guys in different order (Hayes would be last) depending on need. None would return much in a trade today. Every one of them is probably worth around a 3rd rounder.

For me K Miller is better than McQuaid and for me it goes back a ways. Absent the crab walk Miller pulled in a game a year or two ago, and I am probably in the minority, I have always liked him. Now that he actually skates with the puck it's more apparent that he's not the liability some thought.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I think Vegas will be hard pressed to take McQ or even C. Miller. Just look at the D they are likely to build. Methot, Jack Johnson, Dumba, De Haan, Vatanen, Bogosian, TVR, and Dotchin. I don't see how McQ or C. Miller really help you there as 8/9 defenseman. Just going to eat up cap space. I think a goalie like Subban will have more value to them or even a forward like Beleskey.

They don't have to keep all the players they pick. They can pick a player and move him immediatly to another team for assets.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
if lv doesn't take Beleskey the b's should ship him and a pick to the Coyotes. They're well below the floor and need contracts to get them there. Send MB+3rd for like a 5th and be done with it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Mcquaid is averaging 52 games per year over the last 3, so..........

Already posted this once yesterday, so I am going to go slow for you...

McQuaid:

2016-17: 77
2015-16: 64
2014-15: 63

(204/3 = 68)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76853

K Miller:

2016-17: 58
2015-16: 71
2014-15: 41

(170/3 = 57)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=108349

Both are what I would categorize as "injury prone", but McQ has been more durable (hate to use that term with these two lol).

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

McQuaid:

(204/3 = 68)

K Miller:

(170/3 = 57)

Both are what I would categorize as "injury prone", but McQ has been more durable (hate to use that term with these two lol).

I wasn't clear. I meant prior 3. Including 2013-2014.

Not surprising that you wouldn't want to include that. I appreciate the condescension though.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
For me K Miller is better than McQuaid and for me it goes back a ways. Absent the crab walk Miller pulled in a game a year or two ago, and I am probably in the minority, I have always liked him. Now that he actually skates with the puck it's more apparent that he's not the liability some thought.

I like both. And I like both more than C. Miller.
I think both McQuaid and K. Miller get under-rated. K. Miller is developing into a version of Boychuk while McQuaid's toughness can't be over-stated, especially on a team as soft as the Bruins have become over the past two years. - people talk speed and offence but there's still a place in the NHL for someone who's tough as nails also.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I wasn't clear. I meant prior 3. Including 2013-2014.

Not surprising that you wouldn't want to include that. I appreciate the condescension though.

This is what you said:

"Mcquaid is averaging 52 games per year over the last 3, so.........."

(No snarkiness there whatsoever)

You didn't say the "last 6" or the "3 previous" and I am not a mind reader.

And the only reason I went back three seasons is because before that, Miller was an AHL player, not NHL. Also, when the players are tweeners, it's hard to determine years later whether or not they were healthy scratches in games or hurt. Why don't we do this. We will throw out any years where the players spent time in the AHL/NHL or the strike shortened season of 12-13 (I'm sure you figured that in).

McQuaid: 68, 78, 67, 72, 30, 63, 64, 77 (65 games per season).

Killer: 65, 64, 41, 71, 58 (63 per season)

So, as I said McQuaid is slightly more durable :laugh:

Still doesn't change the fact that I would have protected Chiller over either of them. If anything, it strengthens the position that the two players are pretty much interchangeable.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
This is what you said:

And the only reason I went back three seasons is because before that, Miller was an AHL player, not NHL. Also, when the players are tweeners, it's hard to determine years later whether or not they were healthy scratches in games or hurt. Why don't we do this. We will throw out any years where the players spent time in the AHL/NHL or the strike shortened season of 12-13 (I'm sure you figured that in).

McQuaid: 68, 78, 67, 72, 30, 63, 64, 77 (65 games per season).

Killer: 65, 64, 41, 71, 58 (63 per season)

So, as I said McQuaid is slightly more durable :laugh:

Still doesn't change the fact that I would have protected Chiller over either of them. If anything, it strengthens the position that the two players are pretty much interchangeable.

Pretty much every metric in scoring says they are not interchangeable. KMiller is far better.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
This is what you said:

Which is precisely why I admitted I wasn't clear. Damn.

We will throw out.......the strike shortened season of 12-13 (I'm sure you figured that in).

Not sure why I would've when neither of us went back that far.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia

McPhee confirms same in the attached quote from the attached TSN article.

"George McPhee has given his fellow general managers a midnight deadline to make deals to keep players not on their protected list.

McPhee said Monday this would be the final day for teams to make trades as he will select his expansion team on Tuesday.

"What we've told everyone today is that today will be the last day that we are going to have (trade) discussions," McPhee said. "We are going to pick our team tomorrow."

http://www.tsn.ca/mcphee-will-pick-golden-knights-on-tuesday-1.783139

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

McQuaid:

(204/3 = 68)

K Miller:

(170/3 = 57)

Looks like McQuaid's healthy season three years ago is the real difference in their numbers over the last three. Reads like a wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad