GDT: ALL Vegas Expansion talk here -who do the Bruins protect

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Which is precisely why I admitted I wasn't clear. Damn.

Not sure why I would've when neither of us went back that far.

I went back three years...

You said I meant the "prior 3"...

So that would be:

2013-14
2012-13 (strike shortened)
2011-12

"Prior 3" to what, this year, so that you could include McQuaid's 13/14 30 game season?

Ummmm...talk about convenient :laugh:

At any rate, neither of these guys is going to win any "iron man" awards. McQuaid has reached 75 games twice (last season and his 2nd year in PRO), and Miller has never hit that mark.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
When I saw that they went 5 D on their list I was like WTF? I assume they have a deal in place to protect key guys, and if they are giving up the 15th pick, I assume it's going to cover both F's and D.

They seem to have a very different line of thinking than the other 29 teams. Maybe they have one of those secret deals in place with Vegas that might help explain there decision but on the surface it's odd to say the least.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
meaning none of the GM's are giving him anything. I'm glad.

Nah. I bet there are at least 3 trades done already, just not reported yet. No way competitive teams are letting some of these players go. I expect LV to pick 4 times in the first round.

And if teams are trading to protect assets, McPhee can just take them and flip them at the trade deadline for a high return next year.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Nah. I bet there are at least 3 trades done already, just not reported yet. No way competitive teams are letting some of these players go. I expect LV to pick 4 times in the first round.

And if teams are trading to protect assets, McPhee can just take them and flip them at the trade deadline for a high return next year.

yeah I mean the obvious ones, yes I agree. I mean after, there are probably lots of GM's not interested.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Reading others opinions around the main boards and some mocks you would think we are a lock to loose Subban.

My very unscientific count

Most think Subban

Quite a few C Miller

Dark horse McQ

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Reading others opinions around the main boards and some mocks you would think we are a lock to loose Subban.

Most think Subban

Quite a few C Miller

Dark horse McQ

Subban may not be a bad option as a backup and potential starter down the line but would require patience in the NHL this year for sure. I would expect McQ to be their guy.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

Most think Subban

Quite a few C Miller

Dark horse McQ

I get the feeling that's because his name is Subban and he was a 1st round pick. Most main board people aren't well educated on depths of the organization. Most probably don't even know who Colin Miller is.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Most think Subban

Quite a few C Miller

Dark horse McQ

Let's say you (or anyone that feels like responding to this message) are the GM of an expansion team.

How many people are picking a currently injured McQuaid over younger players for an expansion team, not looking to compete for years.

"But they'll need some quality vets to teach the young kids!" True, but those types of skillsets are easily acquired via free agency. And expansion team like has extra money to throw around if they need to overpay for one of their service. I have a hard time thinking McQuaid would be picked.

So we are looking at...

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
K. Miller - McQuaid
Morrow

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I get the feeling that's because his name is Subban and he was a 1st round pick. Most main board people aren't well educated on depths of the organization. Most probably don't even know who Colin Miller is.

Also I was just noticing almost all of the mocks around the net are ignoring what most are considering "near factual" side deals already in place.

Dupell6

Jul 5, 2013
Pretty much as expected.

I personally would've protected MB

I think he'll have a bounce back year. His knee injury really killed him. He's already not the fastest guy out there. He never really got going. He seems like the kind of guy who will put in the work in the offseason, heal up and perform like he did in year 1 of his deal.

If I'm Vegas I think about taking him. There's already a surplus of D-men. He's still only 29 and his contract isn't bad for a team needed to fill an entire roster. He has upside offensively.

Plus you can come back to the bruins and trade for mcquaid or c. miller if need be. I doubt we go into the season with mcquaid miller miller chara krug morrow carlo mccavoy all on the roster..somethings got to give. (I guess you could realistically trade for MB to if you were to take Mcquaid/Miller)

With that being said I can see why they didn't and why some would disagree. Contract, LW Prospects coming up

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Let's say you (or anyone that feels like responding to this message) are the GM of an expansion team.

How many people are picking a currently injured McQuaid over younger players for an expansion team, not looking to compete for years.

"But they'll need some quality vets to teach the young kids!" True, but those types of skillsets are easily acquired via free agency. And expansion team like has extra money to throw around if they need to overpay for one of their service. I have a hard time thinking McQuaid would be picked.

So we are looking at...

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
K. Miller - McQuaid
Morrow

This third pair with two 30+ year old (injury prone) D with similar skill sets (no puck mover), costing the B's $5m+ is why I would have protected Colin Miller.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Pretty much as expected.

I personally would've protected MB

I think he'll have a bounce back year. His knee injury really killed him. He's already not the fastest guy out there. He never really got going. He seems like the kind of guy who will put in the work in the offseason, heal up and perform like he did in year 1 of his deal.

If I'm Vegas I think about taking him. There's already a surplus of D-men. He's still only 29 and his contract isn't bad for a team needed to fill an entire roster. He has upside offensively.

Plus you can come back to the bruins and trade for mcquaid or c. miller if need be. I doubt we go into the season with mcquaid miller miller chara krug morrow carlo mccavoy all on the roster..somethings got to give. (I guess you could realistically trade for MB to if you were to take Mcquaid/Miller)

With that being said I can see why they didn't and why some would disagree. Contract, LW Prospects coming up

If Vegas takes MB without any bribery, more power to everyone.

I agree, I think he can bounce back, but the contract is a bit risky to worry about long term, and we move him out, and can use that money to fill the void with an actual top 6 LW.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
This third pair with two 30+ year old (injury prone) D with similar skill sets (no puck mover), costing the B's $5m+ is why I would have protected Colin Miller.

I'm with you. I'm just pointing out the realisticness of the situation with K. Miller being protected and C. Miller not.

I'm not a fan of having McQuaid and K. Miller in the same line up.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

So we are looking at...

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
K. Miller - McQuaid
Morrow

McQuaid would be a pretty good depth piece for a cup contender. Look at the amount of D injuries a team like the Pens had - guarantee someone in cup contention would be willing to trade a decent pick to Vegas at deadline (especially for a cup winner like McQ) which may be motivation to pick him for McPhee and Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->