Speculation: All things Spezza Round II - This time it's business!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Posted this on the main boards, but these are the deals I would OK with:

ANA-OTT

OTT: Spezza
ANA: Etem, Perreault, 24th OA

OR

ST.L- OTT

OTT: Spezza, 40th OA
ST.L: Oshie, 21st OA

"Karlsson4President":

I would jump for joy on the deal with the Ducks IF you removed Perrreault & added prospect Shea Theodore also changed the pick back to the 10th overall........................

In fact I would jump for joy if GM B. Murray could make that deal...............

SensChirp

May 8, 2007
Sens chirp also DM'd him. And I'm guessing had a more private chat with him. And seeing as how he continued to speak about it. He probably deemed the source credible in some way.
Yea, I don't usually bother with those kinds of things but I had a friend call me saying he had just talked to someone saying the same thing. Decided to follow up and after a couple messages it was pretty obvious this was a false alarm.

Thought I was pretty clear it wasn't something I was hearing but maybe not. We'll all have an actual trade to talk about soon

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I want our 10th back so bad, draft is one of the most fun days of the year for hockey fans and it's gonna suck if we don't have a first. I really like the top 10 prospects I think a few years from now it won't be considered as weak as it is now.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Do you really think that the Phillips deal was prudent given the financial situation of this team?

Murray has been throwing limited cash at the wrong people. I probably should have clarified that.

Sorry but NO, it's more in the constant paranoia doom & gloom mood around here

People are massively whining about :

Greening 2.6
Phillips 2.5
Neil 1.9

League average is 2.4 (which includes tons of depth players, RFA and ELC contracts) and all those guys are proven players on UFA years (more expensive than ELC and RFA years), maybe a bit less for Greening. But yet, people are calling those "horrible contracts"

Do you realize how idiotic and paranoiac it sounds? Compare them to the rest of the league if you want :

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/players

Also, 2 Millions on a 71 Millions salary cap is not even 3%. Even with a tight budget we can afford them

Greening signed an extension based on his play prior the 2013-14 season. He didn't even make 3 millions in his first 3.5 seasons. And he has been producing at a pace of 17 goals/20 assists which is pretty decent and easily worth 2.6 per

Neil has made $16,797,000 for 855 NHL games (12 seasons + next). It's about 1.2 on average per season

Phillips has made $35,076,250 for 1143 NHL games (16 seasons + next). It's about 2.05 on average per season

They gave this franchise hometown discounts basically all their careers. Don't you think it is not taken into account? Don't you think those guys deserve at least a bit of a break? They left a lot of blood on the ice, served the community and spent all their careers here, they also helped the team win A LOT.

Imagine if all NHL players and prospects read this board and see how much we bash and disrespect Neil and Phillips, would they have any interest in playing for this team after they see how fast we can turn on them because they have aged a bit and forget about all they did in the past?

And for the "they are blocking young guys for playing time" argument", I'd counter with :

Jean-Gabriel Pageau 21
Kyle Turris 24
Mika Zibanejad 21
Mike Hoffman 24
Mark Stone 22
Cody Ceci 20
Jared Cowen 23
Erik Karlsson 24
Patrick Wiercioch 23
Robin Lehner 22

Plus a lot more coming. And I'm not even talking about players 25-30, which we have plenty of.

Conclusion : you guys act like spoiled kids.

The only thing I care about is that the coach play them accordingly. No problem at all if Phillips plays 3rd pair minutes with 1st PK unit time, and if Neil plays 4th line minutes (8-10). Hopefully, young guys play well enough to force the coaching staff hands.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Posted this on the main boards, but these are the deals I would OK with:

ANA-OTT

OTT: Spezza
ANA: Etem, Perreault, 24th OA

OR

ST.L- OTT

OTT: Spezza, 40th OA
ST.L: Oshie, 21st OA

For the ANA deal.

I'd like to get Vatanen and our pick back. We'd have to add so maybe something like this:

OTT: Spezza, Wier, 2nd '14
ANA: Etem, Vatanen, 10thOA

Oct 10, 2010
Sorry but NO, it's more in the constant paranoia doom & gloom mood around here

People are massively whining about :

Greening 2.6
Phillips 2.5
Neil 1.9

League average is 2.4 (which includes tons of depth players, RFA and ELC contracts) and all those guys are proven players on UFA years (more expensive than ELC and RFA years), maybe a bit less for Greening. But yet, people are calling those "horrible contracts"

Do you realize how idiotic and paranoiac it sounds? Compare them to the rest of the league if you want :

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/players

Also, 2 Millions on a 71 Millions salary cap is not even 3%. Even with a tight budget we can afford them

Greening signed an extension based on his play prior the 2013-14 season. He didn't even make 3 millions in his first 3.5 seasons. And he has been producing at a pace of 17 goals/20 assists which is pretty decent and easily worth 2.6 per

Neil has made $16,797,000 for 855 NHL games (12 seasons + next). It's about 1.2 on average per season

Phillips has made $35,076,250 for 1143 NHL games (16 seasons + next). It's about 2.05 on average per season

They gave this franchise hometown discounts basically all their careers. Don't you think it is not taken into account? Don't you think those guys deserve at least a bit of a break? They left a lot of blood on the ice, served the community and spent all their careers here, they also helped the team win A LOT.

Imagine if all NHL players and prospects read this board and see how much we bash and disrespect Neil and Phillips, would they have any interest in playing for this team after they see how fast we can turn on them because they have aged a bit and forget about all they did in the past?

And for the "they are blocking young guys for playing time" argument", I'd counter with :

Jean-Gabriel Pageau 21
Kyle Turris 24
Mika Zibanejad 21
Mike Hoffman 24
Mark Stone 22
Cody Ceci 20
Jared Cowen 23
Erik Karlsson 24
Patrick Wiercioch 23
Robin Lehner 22

Plus a lot more coming. And I'm not even talking about players 25-30, which we have plenty of.

Conclusion : you guys act like spoiled kids.

The only thing I care about is that the coach play them accordingly. No problem at all if Phillips plays 3rd pair minutes with 1st PK unit time, and if Neil plays 4th line minutes (8-10). Hopefully, young guys play well enough to force the coaching staff hands.

You're going on about some stuff that doesn't matter.
For a team that has been bottom of the league in payroll for years - that is a good amount of money that could be used else where.
Not a lot of money in general for 3 players , but for us, i don't like it just because every nickel counts until proven otherwise.
When we re-sign 9MM , that is going to be close to $12M for players that can be replaced.
That's like 22% (give or take) of our expected payroll.

Last edited:

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Did BDP post that Stl's offer for Spezza is Berglund + Vannelli + 2nd? If that is the best offer that we get for Spezza, then I am keeping him until next years deadline....No way would I accept that offer

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Did BDP post that Stl's offer for Spezza is Berglund + Vannelli + 2nd? If that is the best offer that we get for Spezza, then I am keeping him until next years deadline....No way would I accept that offer

BDP did. backdoorpass didn;t.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
That's how negotiation works. They wouldn't offer up Oshie or their 1st right from the get-go.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013

Thats fking terrible. As the draft is getting closer, i keep thinking 2011/2012 Spezza might show up next year and if it does and we trade him for something along that value then we get absolutely robbed.

I also hope Spezza comes out and say that Brad May's story is truth

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

While that is a horrible deal, a deal will be much worse if we keep him until next years deadline imo. People are already not wanting to give up valuable assets for one year of spezza, why would gms give up any valuable assets for one or two months of spezza?

Murray is going to have to accept that type of offer or else we are just going to get nothing when Spezza walks.

Last edited:

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
A deal will be much worse if we keep him until next years deadline imo. People are already not wanting to give up valuable assets for one year of spezza, why would gms give up any valuable assets for one month of spezza?

Murray is going to have to accept that type of offer or else we are just going to get nothing when Spezza walks.

GM's are usually more desperate at that time of year.....I would much rather sign him then get that garbage back.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
GM's are usually more desperate at that time of year.....I would much rather sign him then get that garbage back.

Really? Because there really was no desperation by gms last deadline.

Gaborik got traded for frattin, a 2nd round pick and a conditional 3rd round pick.
Hemsky got traded for a 3rd and 5th
Vanek got traded for a 2nd and collberg (yes, i know there were better offers on the table and that islanders weren't willing to retain salary)

All i am saying is that you really need to temper your expectations when it comes to the return that spezza brings.

Last edited:

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Really? Because there really was no desperation by gms last deadline.

Look at the gaborik trade. All the kings had to give up frattin, a 2nd round pick and a conditional 3rd round pick.

All i am saying is that you really need to temper your expectations when it comes to the return that spezza brings. And no, i would rather trade him than sign him, even if the return is garbage. He does not want to be here. I don't want people that do not want to be here on this team right now.

Gaborik was also playing like junk for the last couple of years before he lit it up in the playoffs. There is tempering expectations and then there is being brought to the back and taking it in behind.......would rather lose him for nothing then to give him away. Vannelli would be nothing more then what a Wideman would be for us and Berglund has a bad shoulder.....no thanks

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yea, I don't usually bother with those kinds of things but I had a friend call me saying he had just talked to someone saying the same thing. Decided to follow up and after a couple messages it was pretty obvious this was a false alarm.

Thought I was pretty clear it wasn't something I was hearing but maybe not. We'll all have an actual trade to talk about soon
Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Who all will be getting a #74 jersey if we pickup Oshie in a week?

borowieckiblogjuly10.jpg

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Who all will be getting a #74 jersey if we pickup Oshie in a week?

Having Oshie would help us squeeze out a few extra points every year just because he's the best shootout guy in the league. Imagine our first shooter shot 75% this year, we might have even made the playoffs just because of that. It sounds strange but it's becoming an important skill.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Where did he write that? And if so, that is an atrocious offer.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

who's BDP?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Some guy on Yost's blog said that BDP posted it on HF boards.....Didn't see it so that's why I asked.
I did i saw it on the main board here ,i dont know if it has any weight but its in line with what they offered i guess.Page 43 spezza trade thread post number 1053

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad