OT: All things Game of Thrones thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think Bronn turns on Cersei.

No way. I can almost guarantee that it'll be Jamie who kills her. The foreshadowing is all there and it really follows the idea of the valonqar killing her "little brother".

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It remains to be seen what Bronn does with that crossbow.

If Brienne takes a bolt for Jaime though he's gonna have a hard time getting to Bronn before Tormund gets him.

I like this train of thought. Killing a few characters off before they even battle it out with Cersi.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
No way. I can almost guarantee that it'll be Jamie who kills her. The foreshadowing is all there and it really follows the idea of the valonqar killing her "little brother".
By turning on her, I didn't mean that Bronn would be the one to actually kill her. I just meant that he would switch sides and not do her bidding.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Then you stash them in the woods until both armies meet and have the Dothraki come reaving through their ranks from the side. .

The dead army came out of the woods so that's not a good idea..

Not to mention the idea of stashing the Dothraki in woods would have been foolish given NK had a dragon so your exposing the Dothraki to a situation in which they are facing enemy with potential air superiority (No guarantee Dany's dragon's could intervene in time or at all to stop a NK dragon attack on Dothraki)

Also in situation in which a horde of dead is coming and essentially has Winterfell surrounded sending your cavalry with flaming swords and flaming artillery in support makes plenty of sense when one of the two ways to kill enemy is "Fire"

Dothraki are great cavalry soldiers but would be piss poor and unequipped to fight as foot soldiers. They were the only offensive asset outside of Dragon's that Winterfell had and it was a use em or lose em situation

If I was Sansa or any surviving Northman/woman the first thing I would do if we win the war is march to House Glover and extinguish that family which hid and didn't honor vow

Of course the Glover's might be only family in North with a standing army now

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It made it pretty clear that the Dragon fire was useless and the idea of Jon even coming close to him was laughable (So the 2 main characters can't kill him it seems). If the NK can't see the future, then wouldn't a stealthy assassin (she would be the only one likely from the entire group at WF), would be the one who could take him out (with the dagger) designed for this exact purpose? Who else was supposed to take him out exactly? Theon? Well he tried but dead. Wheel chair Bran?

Why is it laughable for Jon to attack him with a valyrian steel sword if Arya can do the same with a dagger, exactly? For someone who knew he could kill Jon, he didn't seem in any hurry to actual engage him in combat - in any episode.

Reactions: Peter Man

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I felt that the NK thought that Jon was beneath him and not worth his time.

It's a possible solution, but if the Night Kings whole thing was to get Bran, why not take out the one person that could actually organize somewhat of a defense against him. If he kills him at Hardhome(though that doesn't get him a dragon, so that was probably purposeful) or even beyond the wall - Bran is a sitting duck.

For someone who can see the future, certainly he could've just ensured Jon's death earlier on and never even have to worry about this whole defense and can just waltz in with no questions asked.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Why is it laughable for Jon to attack him with a valyrian steel sword if Arya can do the same with a dagger, exactly? For someone who knew he could kill Jon, he didn't seem in any hurry to actual engage him in combat - in any episode.

Because he knew he didn't have to? He raised the dead and walked away. Much more thrilling than him battling it with Jon. Really made the situation much more grim.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It's a possible solution, but if the Night Kings whole thing was to get Bran, why not take out the one person that could actually organize somewhat of a defense against him. If he kills him at Hardhome(though that doesn't get him a dragon, so that was probably purposeful) or even beyond the wall - Bran is a sitting duck.

For someone who can see the future, certainly he could've just ensured Jon's death earlier on and never even have to worry about this whole defense and can just waltz in with no questions asked.

How do you know that the NK can forsee the future? There's nothing to suggest that to my knowledge.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
Who the hell is going to fight in the battle for King's Landing? Night King and his army seemed to take out almost everyone. Could Bran potentially control the dead army :huh:?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It made it pretty clear that the Dragon fire was useless and the idea of Jon even coming close to him was laughable (So the 2 main characters can't kill him it seems). If the NK can't see the future, then wouldn't a stealthy assassin (she would be the only one likely from the entire group at WF), would be the one who could take him out (with the dagger) designed for this exact purpose? Who else was supposed to take him out exactly? Theon? Well he tried but dead. Wheel chair Bran?
I think Bran could have at least severely injured him by running over his foot in the wheelchair

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Because he knew he didn't have to? He raised the dead and walked away. Much more thrilling than him battling it with Jon. Really made the situation much more grim.

Sure, but he also sensed Aryas presence and caught her mid air, so it's not like he didn't sense that coming, too.

This is exactly why you don't pick apart details on fantasy shows. Short of something outrageous happening, like a space ship abducting the entire dead army away, Accept and enjoy them for what they are.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
The NK catching Arya perfectly in mid air like that made it clear to me, anyone coming at him from the front with a sword, is pretty much useless. As he disposed of Theon pretty damn easily and it isn't like he wasn't taking out hundreds of wights on his own before he died. I feel like if we had more seasons and more time, things would probably be explained in vast more details, but we don't have time on our side.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Like I said - I've got no problem with people having the opinion that they handled the night kings death poorly. I think having Arya kill him like that was a total disservice to the night king. Gut Cersei like a little *****, that storyline has dragged on long enough. The night king deserved a better death than some trivial dragon aerial battle and then getting stabbed.

My issue is the "Arya can't jump that far" idea when there's undead zombies and Giants around attacking a fort so that an undead guy that turns everything to ice is trying to kill a kid in a wheelchair (who can take over the minds and actions of people and animals)while said undead dudes pet undead dragon is casually breathing frost fire breath everywhere".

Call out plot failures all day long. But if you want 'reality', well, you came to the wrong series.

I hear you about quibbling with details within a fantasy world, but the necessity of every work of this genre is to establish the parameters. The dead were the 'fast zombie' type and exhibited sentience, for example, as a contrast to the walkers in TWD. Arya was limited by the physics of Westeros so her leap had to be consistent with her physical ability, the jumping off point, etc. It's up to the writers to devise the scenario where she could do just that after having eluded a horde (of questionable size) of the dead and other WWs.

As an aside, I was mildly unsatisfied that they didn't tear around the library in berserker fashion rather than walk softly. If they knew an enemy was in the same room, I would think that they would just do the searching at top speed. If they didn't think there was an enemy, then what were they doing browsing the book collection? Likewise, as others have pointed out, the other WWs were wasted in this episode.

I didn't think, however, that the actual means of killing the NK was disappointing. Arya planned her tactics very well, knowing he would sense her attack. She played on his ego, allowing herself to seemingly be nullified by his heightened senses and quick reflexes. Plus, as others have said, Arya's back story made her action entirely plausible.

Now we just need to know what the heck Bran was doing all that time.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

If the answer is "Being birds" then that's gonna be a disappointment.

As for Arya, I have her in the expendable camp with Brienne now. This was her story arc, and it's complete. Everything was all about getting her ready for that moment.

I pointed out to Beefette way back when that Jaqen was downright pleased when Arya left to go home. I mentioned that he must want her facing the army of the dead, because nobody steals more death from their god than the Night King. I underestimated how important she'd be in that fight, though; I'd assumed Jon would kill him and she'd just be their contribution to the fight. It does make her arc far more interesting though. For instance, Jaqen finding her and always being around for a while doesn't seem accidental anymore. She was steered onto a specific path towards Bravos. This was Mel's life work, it's not unreasonable that the Faceless Men were working to the same goal.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I hear you about quibbling with details within a fantasy world, but the necessity of every work of this genre is to establish the parameters. The dead were the 'fast zombie' type and exhibited sentience, for example, as a contrast to the walkers in TWD. Arya was limited by the physics of Westeros so her leap had to be consistent with her physical ability, the jumping off point, etc. It's up to the writers to devise the scenario where she could do just that after having eluded a horde (of questionable size) of the dead and other WWs.

As an aside, I was mildly unsatisfied that they didn't tear around the library in berserker fashion rather than walk softly. If they knew an enemy was in the same room, I would think that they would just do the searching at top speed. If they didn't think there was an enemy, then what were they doing browsing the book collection? Likewise, as others have pointed out, the other WWs were wasted in this episode.

I didn't think, however, that the actual means of killing the NK was disappointing. Arya planned her tactics very well, knowing he would sense her attack. She played on his ego, allowing herself to seemingly be nullified by his heightened senses and quick reflexes. Plus, as others have said, Arya's back story made her action entirely plausible.

Agreed. But the weirwood itself is a large tree, surrounded by other trees and battlements. We don't know where she came from, only that it was from behind. If we can presume that her training has led her to be a skilled sneak - coupled with the scene in the library that was undoubtedly for this purpose alone - and her physical abilities (she was making some fairly large jumps getting away from the waif, and that's when she was injured, it stands to reason she could in theory get close enough to hop down at him from an outsretched branch of the weirwood.

I do believe we find out what Bran was doing next episode though. The Ravens appeared to be flying in the north, but I don't recall them coming across anything major. Feel like maybe there was a small detail there I missed, but can't put my finger on what until I get home and re watch.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bran is the puppet master, I don't think he sees the future, rather, his knowledge of "everything" allows him to sense how patterns come together, and anticipate what everyone will do. And he subtly guides people to the "inevitable" outcome.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bran is the puppet master, I don't think he sees the future, rather, his knowledge of "everything" allows him to sense how patterns come together, and anticipate what everyone will do. And he subtly guides people to the "inevitable" outcome.

Yes. I expect and hope to learn that Bran has guided things in some way. It has struck me as weird timing for his insistence that Jon learn his GF is his aunt right when he does.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Would Jon have been allowed to guide a dragon if he wasn't a Targaryen?
Those without the gene pool are usually dragon kittle.
So that revelation might have been required to allow him to fight with one of Daenrys' children.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
So I just rewatched it, and answered at least one of my own questions. White walkers shatter when they die, Wright’s collapse.
I forgot that Jorah teleports begins Dany to save her after she landed her f***ing dragon.
As far as the aria scene, I’m now 100% against her leap of faith. There is an archway but that’s probably 100 feet away, there was a mass of Wright’s maybe 5 or 6 deep forming a ring and the white walker captains in front of the arch. If she were in a tree, she had to at least cover 60 feet in her jump. The distance Theon charged was free of any obstruction. Completely absurd.
Also, one of the white walkers hair blows backwards, I’m guessing to indicate that aria moves past him. If that’s the case the hair should have moved forwards. I’m not entirely sure what the point of it blowing backwards was.
Dany is lucky as hell the three Wright’s that were in arms reach of her in the zooming out shot, disappeared in a continuity error.
Coming back to Theon, how in the hell is he firing a bow? Ramsay cut off most of his fingers.

Reactions: pit and Ruck Over

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Would Jon have been allowed to guide a dragon if he wasn't a Targaryen?
Those without the gene pool are usually dragon kittle.
So that revelation might have been required to allow him to fight with one of Daenrys' children.

I do not think the show has addressed this, but the books' pretty firm answer is a hardcore NOPE.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So I just rewatched it, and answered at least one of my own questions. White walkers shatter when they die, Wright’s collapse.
I forgot that Jorah teleports begins Dany to save her after she landed her ****ing dragon.
As far as the aria scene, I’m now 100% against her leap of faith. There is an archway but that’s probably 100 feet away, there was a mass of Wright’s maybe 5 or 6 deep forming a ring and the white walker captains in front of the arch. If she were in a tree, she had to at least cover 60 feet in her jump. The distance Theon charged was free of any obstruction. Completely absurd.
Also, one of the white walkers hair blows backwards, I’m guessing to indicate that aria moves past him. If that’s the case the hair should have moved forwards. I’m not entirely sure what the point of it blowing backwards was.
Dany is lucky as hell the three Wright’s that were in arms reach of her in the zooming out shot, disappeared in a continuity error.
Coming back to Theon, how in the hell is he firing a bow? Ramsay cut off most of his fingers.

You only need two fingers and a thumb and he's got those.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
I forgot that Jorah teleports begins Dany to save her after she landed her ****ing dragon.

It's Arya fam, not Aria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad