OT: All things Game of Thrones thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yep she's pretty much just Euron and the GC now. It's interesting that she said Westeros would never flock to a foreign horde, but now she's the one with the foreign horde since Dany's got fairly wiped out.

I guess Sansa's supply concerns have been solved at least.

Edit: Actually I think Ned and Jorah both mentioned that Westerosi wouldn't follow someone with an army of Dothraki. It would be an oversight if they neglect that now.

Well they’re all dead and she just saved the world of the living so she’s got my vote over the bitch.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I thought it was a pretty good ep but I did have a few issues with it.

1. Wtf is the point of having the white walkers if they’re never going to do anything? I expected the Night King’s lieutenants to enter the battle at some point. And they never did. disappointing.

2. An extension of #1. What’s the point in showing all the characters get Valyrian steel swords if it never comes into play? Aside from Ayra’s dagger it never meant anything what swords people had. They could have had scenes show that Jorah, Jamie and Brianne could’ve maybe died if they didn’t have their swords. I expected one or two of them to battle a white walker and it never happened.

3. Too much plot armor. Several characters like Sam and Grey Worm should be dead but survived because?? GoT is famous for killing major characters any chance they get and every death was predictable.

100 wights are rushing Jorah and Dany but only really go after Jorah? Jon is surrounded by hundreds of undead and somehow survives??? Brienne should’ve died as well. The stakes needed to be higher. It’s like all main characters survived except Jorah and Theon. Why keep Tormund alive?? I don’t care to see him fight Cersei. This was his time to go.

Didn’t like Ayra killing the Night King either. That was Jon’s arc and she stole it from him. He’s a pointless character now.

I see some complaints about Arya sneaking in but that’s one thing that didn’t bother me at all. Faceless men have that skill. Remember Jacquen Hagar killing the Lannister soldiers at Harrenhall? I can fully believe she can sneak past any walkers to get to the night king. They’ve established assassins can do that many seasons ago.

Loved the Dothraki scene. Chilling. The dragon battles were well done too.

So all in all I enjoyed it. But Jon should’ve killed the night king, more main characters should’ve died, and more white walker battles would have made it much, much better.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If my nitpicky nitpick is Theon's rescue raid, my substantial criticism has been the lack of proving Bran's credibility. That still hasn't really been done outside of a few people who've had weird encounters. And that's about to be super important because he is now one of two witnesses to the Tower of Joy.

Reactions: landsbergfan

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

1. Wtf is the point of having the white walkers if they’re never going to do anything? I expected the Night King’s lieutenants to enter the battle at some point. And they never did. disappointing.

2. An extension of #1. What’s the point in showing all the characters get Valyrian steel swords if it never comes into play? Aside from Ayra’s dagger it never meant anything what swords people had. They could have had scenes show that Jorah, Jamie and Brianne could’ve maybe died if they didn’t have their swords. I expected one or two of them to battle a white walker and it never happened.

3. Too much plot armor. Several characters like Sam and Grey Worm should be dead but survived because?? GoT is famous for killing major characters any chance they get and every death was predictable.

100 wights are rushing Jorah and Dany but only really go after Jorah? Jon is surrounded by hundreds of undead and somehow survives??? Brienne should’ve died as well. The stakes needed to be higher. It’s like all main characters survived except Jorah and Theon. Why keep Tormund alive?? I don’t care to see him fight Cersei. This was his time to go.

Didn’t like Ayra killing the Night King either. That was Jon’s arc and she stole it from him. He’s a pointless character now.

I see some complaints about Arya sneaking in but that’s one thing that didn’t bother me at all. Faceless men have that skill. Remember Jacquen Hagar killing the Lannister soldiers at Harrenhall? I can fully believe she can sneak past any walkers to get to the night king. They’ve established assassins can do that many seasons ago.

So all in all I enjoyed it. But Jon should’ve killed the night king, more main characters should’ve died, and more white walker battles would have made it much, much better.

Well, the thing with the Walkers is that if they're killed, everyone they raised dies too. So you aren't just losing one captain, you'd lose a chunk of your army as well; it makes sense for them to stay back. As for the Valyrian steel, it did come into play. It let them kill the wights. Only obsidian and VS can do that, and a type of glass isn't the greatest weapon. I appreciated the sword Dany grabbed having big chunks taken out of it. Many wights had steel blades and armor, so that would do a number on obsidian.

Edit: At this point I wonder if characters dying is no longer a twist, and characters living is. I fully expected Brienne to be toast, I'm super surprised she isn't. Maybe the fact that it seemed so predictable is what steered them away from it.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
That's what, the first time he didn't run away?
He ran away from Brand, general directions and all.

The first 20 minutes was terrible. Super close up shaky cam, spastic cut shots, filmed in the fake night, with a blizzard. It was almost impossible to see anything. It got much better once the dam was lit.
A ton of stuff didn’t make any sense. Set loose the Dothraki on their own. Real smart.
Aria ninjas it up with her cool new two piece murder-spear, loses it and my favorite scene in the series. Hide and seek with the dead in the library.
Aria sprints off after that towards who knows, for who knows what reason.
Jon’s dragon air tackles the Night Kong’s dragon rather than roasting it.
Was the knight king Valyrian?
Dany lands her ****ing dragon after saving plot armor Jon. She could have flown him to Bran.
Aria flying in from no where to kill the night king.
Bran warging into the ravens for no apparent purpose and not helping one iota.
The hate and critiques you've shared inspire me to no end. I'd like to sign-up for your newsletter.

While this episode was vastly way more entertaining than the previous shows, the critical thinking skills have not improved one iota.

So I know you're supposed to suspend belief when watching these shows...but there were just way too many things that don't make sense/are extremely convenient.

8 seasons of TV, 10+ years of book reading...and the final answer to the Night King is that Arya jumps out of no where when surrounded, tries to stab him, gets caught, drops her knife but somehow catches it again, and then stabs him? Just ugh.
Well see, the Night King was so confident that Arya was just a mere mortal, he forgot that she has two arms.
[breath]
And with his two arms holding her neck and the original knife wielding arm, the Night King just assumed Arya would die because White Walkers literally freeze the ground they walk on and have frozen metal swords, but Arya having direct contact, less a leather outfit, didn't freeze her at all, allowing gravity to assist in the passing of the doomsday weapon from an incapacitated hand to a free swinging appendage able to deliver the killing blow.[/breath]

Wolverine strikes again!

Briennes arc should have been completed with being knighted and going out in battle as a knight
Stay woke bro! Killing women should never be lionized as a punch line in some inconsequential show. EQUALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

I agree but they definitely could of used one more scene of her getting there. Too big of gap between running from the castle and leaping out of nowhere. But that’s nitpicking.

People are way over-analyzing this show. It’s almost hip to hate on it now complaining how much better the first seasons were compared to the last. But no matter what, it’s still better than 95% of the crap on tv or in the movies.
American Gods > GoT

Well, she was running in the castle. All interior places in the castle are higher elevation than the ground. So Arya jumped out of a window at a speed of X, from a height of Y, she weighs Z, and those could reasonably cover N yards, because the wind resistance was only Q. Simple math really.

Loose End: Nymeria. What's going on with that.
What's the loose end? She went feral in the woods and after Arya killed the British red-haired singer, they met and then they went their own ways. Wolves are expensive, dragons induce more orgasms so, again it's math.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

This x100. Great episode but the show has turned into Star Trek killing off red shirts. You don't have to kill everyone but if you are having the most epic battle in history you can't tell me every single main character survives especially with Sam, Dany, John, and Arya miraculously being saved at the last second, some multiple times. Yes Theon and Jorah died and they have been in the show from the start and a couple other fan favorites died, but you gotta kill a Stark or Tyrion or Jamie or Dany or Jon.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
So, am I wrong here or not. I thought that the wrights shattered when they were killed with dragon glass, but there was a shit ton of bodies left on the ground, and Aria’s library friend was about to be gently placed on the floor.
@Ruck Over , N yards? We don’t use that term here. It’s offensive.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Lyanna Mormount's death should have been Arya's. Stabbing the Night King as she dies.
That was a fitting end to her. You can’t have a child in a battle, fighting, and expect her to reasonable survive. I’m glad they gave her something important to do, but how is her arm free when she was picked up that way?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
So, am I wrong here or not. I thought that the wrights shattered when they were killed with dragon glass, but there was a **** ton of bodies left on the ground, and Aria’s library friend was about to be gently placed on the floor.
@Ruck Over , N yards? We don’t use that term here. It’s offensive.
Oh man, that's next level.

Kudos.
Trust me, it's ok though.

Reactions: Defect

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
In a world where a girl can literally wear the face of other people to fool them it's not her, people are complaining about how said girl jumps out of a forest?

Come on, people. Sometimes you just have to let fantasy be fantasy.
It would have been believable if she had on the face of a while walker.
I’d rather that she managed to kill one of the captains, wear his face, and stealth kill the NK that way. It would have fit with her character better than the leap of faith.
Aria is like what? 100 pounds? Having a 100 pound sack tossed at you, a normal person is expected to stagger back at least a step to absorb some of the impact. NK ate that shit. Arias neck should have then taken the force of the impact, breaking it. So not only did her neck not break, but she didn’t get frozen.
Put the captains into the battle, it would made the battle more enjoyable given it some ebb and flow. Kill a few of the WW off, and in the chaos of the battle it would be believable that the NK wouldn’t notice which of his WW were killed or how many.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
The whole library scene with Arya (along with her years of painstaking assassin training) set up how silently sneaky she is. She was literally undetectable. As evidenced by the drops of blood on the floor making more noise than her in that whole scene.

Reactions: BiggE and Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It would have been believable if she had on the face of a while walker.
I’d rather that she managed to kill one of the captains, wear his face, and stealth kill the NK that way. It would have fit with her character better than the leap of faith.
Aria is like what? 100 pounds? Having a 100 pound sack tossed at you, a normal person is expected to stagger back at least a step to absorb some of the impact. NK ate that ****. Arias neck should have then taken the force of the impact, breaking it. So not only did her neck not break, but she didn’t get frozen.
Put the captains into the battle, it would made the battle more enjoyable given it some ebb and flow. Kill a few of the WW off, and in the chaos of the battle it would be believable that the NK wouldn’t notice which of his WW were killed or how many.

It's fine to have the opinion that they didn't handle the story 100% well. And I'd mostly agree.

But complaining that Arya can't be that sneaky, in relation to everything else going on in the show, is some serious cognitive dissonance akin to the "Ravens can't fly that fast" folk. Again, sometimes you just have to let fantasy be fantasy.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Arya should have died at that moment. That is my biggest problem with this episode, besides no Skelton Ned.

All we’ve seen the entire series is how powerful the white walkers are. Jon got tossed around by a Lientenant, so we’re to believe they’re stronger than The Night King? Not to mention everything they touched froze throughout the series.

Arya’s neck? Perfectly fine.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
It's fine to have the opinion that they didn't handle the story 100% well. And I'd mostly agree.

But complaining that Arya can't be that sneaky, in relation to everything else going on in the show, is some serious cognitive dissonance akin to the "Ravens can't fly that fast" folk. Again, sometimes you just have to let fantasy be fantasy.
I’ll have to watch the scene again but they way I remember it she has had to have jumped over at least a gathering of undead 4 deep, from most likely a tree. I wouldn’t complain if they didn’t already have written into the show that she can disguise herself perfectly into anybody. Hell, she could have facemorphed into a normal aria sized wright and still did her dagger drop and it would have fit her character fine.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I’ll have to watch the scene again but they way I remember it she has had to have jumped over at least a gathering of undead 4 deep, from most likely a tree. I wouldn’t complain if they didn’t already have written into the show that she can disguise herself perfectly into anybody. Hell, she could have facemorphed into a normal aria sized wright and still did her dagger drop and it would have fit her character fine.

I don't recall the specifically of the episode - and quite honestly to me, it doesn't matter. While this is going on, there's an undead dragon breathing frostfire breath 20 yards away so 'reality' means little to meet here, but I digress - the scene has a stone entryway if I recall, and is shrouded in trees into the weirwood tree clearing. It's not crazy to think she could've climbed out on a branch given how they already portrayed her sneakiness. In fact, they probably put the library scene in there for that very reason.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Maybe Bran saw this all happening as it did and it was the only way it could have happened. Everyone expecting Jon to kill the NK, so when it wasn't, I would say that was highly unexpected (but make sense since they have been building her up to be a ridiculous assassin. Also, if everyone died this episode, that would have also been expected, true GOT would let them live during a time of sure death, only to be killed in the final 3 episodes when you least expect it.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Dothrakhi scene and the fire runs by the dragons were pretty tight. Knew they wouldn't kill off as many people as they made it seem last episode, but c'mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad