All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread V - We have no goalies?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think there are still a handful of trades and FAs that will be available over the next 2-3 weeks. It's just a matter of whether they can pull the trigger. There are teams up against the cap or that might have to see how their own RFA negotiations go before those moves occur.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
I think there are still a handful of trades and FAs that will be available over the next 2-3 weeks. It's just a matter of whether they can pull the trigger. There are teams up against the cap or that might have to see how their own RFA negotiations go before those moves occur.
I don't think the Free Agents are going to be enough. Tatar is not a difference maker, neither is Ritchie, the way I see it. This team is a legit forward away from breaking though the second round. We need someone who can help drive a line and split opposing defense's attention. Tatar, for example is just a Niederreiter, an average top 6F who can help out some, but isn't amazing on the forecheck or defense.

We need a pure scorer or an upgrade at center.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'm not questioning anything about the decision itself. It's fine.

I'm questioning DW's veracity when he says he's surprised by the decision. That's nonsense. Literally no one else was surprised by this decision.

I think DW may be surprised because that is exactly how TD treated him and he's still here.

Most people tend to think others have similar thought processes to themselves and will arrive at the same conclusion.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think the Free Agents are going to be enough. Tatar is not a difference maker, neither is Ritchie, the way I see it. This team is a legit forward away from breaking though the second round. We need someone who can help drive a line and split opposing defense's attention. Tatar, for example is just a Niederreiter, an average top 6F who can help out some, but isn't amazing on the forecheck or defense.

We need a pure scorer or an upgrade at center.
While you're not wrong, we may need to add a guy like a Tatar now and pursue the higher end player at the deadline. Again, that depends on them being willing to make the moves either way.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The way I see it, Tarasenko is the only thing left.
Shoulda bought Saad... or something
Im guessing we are shooting for someone to be 2 years or under for term. Prolly why we chose Andersen over Mrazek.

Wait out Tatar to take a show me deal. Tarasenko makes sense. Olafsson might make sense.

Trade for a short term guy when the other team overspend? Maybe it isn’t overspending but a team doesn’t plan on keeping that player long term so they move him out and sign a FA with term.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm going to be a bit of devil's advocate here.

Everyone is dumping on DW. But how much of the decisions made were all on his shoulders? Remember this is the BORG we have been either praising or bashing. DW is part of it and most importantly for this discussion, the public face.

Agree that the "confident" bit has been overplayed. But none of us know what's really going on behind closed doors. And he has to do some GM speak for not just other/future negotiations and well, that's part of his job.

I mean he looked uncomfortable as hell in the TDA presser. Perhaps he got voted down by the stats/$s guys yet he had to go out and defend it. Haven't seen or heard a word from Tulsky.

This argument may be 100% wrong but I am not one who is going to pile on DW at the moment.
He is paid to be the "GM". If he is ok picking up the check, he better be ok taking the blame. It shouldn't have been any surprise to him how his role would work in this management group as he was already in it when he signed the contract. I have no sympathy for him if he was against this decision. If it bothers him that much, he knows where the door is. Otherwise, he gets to take the blame if he takes the job.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The way I see it, Tarasenko is the only thing left.
Shoulda bought Saad... or something
Well, there is a guy up in northern NY that is apparently available that would as good a pickup, if not better. We "surprisingly" have quite a bit of cap room to bring him in, as well. And we are one of the few teams that probably has enough futures capital to make it happen. Maybe Donnie should "circle back" and see what it would take.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He is paid to be the "GM". If he is ok picking up the check, he better be ok taking the blame. It shouldn't have been any surprise to him how his role would work in this management group as he was already in it when he signed the contract. I have no sympathy for him if he was against this decision. If it bothers him that much, he knows where the door is. Otherwise, he gets to take the blame if he takes the job.
Borg is too distanced for truly hateful blaming, and it takes too long to type all their names out.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Maybe, but he's scored almost a poin per game over the last 4 years and thats without someone like teravainen setting him up
That is definitely an argument for him.

i will add that Arizona has paid his bonus already and only owe him 1 million at this point. I doubt they are looking to add more real dollars, without a good incentive.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Regards to forward options left…

I don’t like Tatar, but I have a feeling he’ll be the “add” and the front office will call it a summer. Also, I’m low-key expecting a Kase or E Svechnikov signing on the cheap.

I’m hoping they go the trade route and I’d personally prefer DeBrusk, but I think they’ll either end up with Tarasenko or a forward from Arizona, if that’s the well they tap. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to get Monahan out of CGY, cost permitting.

They have the cap space and the assets in to pull off a trade for a top 6 guy, hopefully they realize that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad