All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread V - We have no goalies?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Regards to forward options left…

I don’t like Tatar, but I have a feeling he’ll be the “add” and the front office will call it a summer. Also, I’m low-key expecting a Kase or E Svechnikov signing on the cheap.

I’m hoping they go the trade route and I’d personally prefer DeBrusk, but I think they’ll either end up with Tarasenko or a forward from Arizona, if that’s the well they tap. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to get Monahan out of CGY, cost permitting.

They have the cap space and the assets in to pull off a trade for a top 6 guy, hopefully they realize that too.

They talked with Van too...

Reactions: WreckingCrew

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I don't think the Free Agents are going to be enough. Tatar is not a difference maker, neither is Ritchie, the way I see it. This team is a legit forward away from breaking though the second round. We need someone who can help drive a line and split opposing defense's attention. Tatar, for example is just a Niederreiter, an average top 6F who can help out some, but isn't amazing on the forecheck or defense.

We need a pure scorer or an upgrade at center.
Phil Kessel!!!!!

(i've said before i love the dude, but i know this ain't happening)

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
He is paid to be the "GM". If he is ok picking up the check, he better be ok taking the blame. It shouldn't have been any surprise to him how his role would work in this management group as he was already in it when he signed the contract. I have no sympathy for him if he was against this decision. If it bothers him that much, he knows where the door is. Otherwise, he gets to take the blame if he takes the job.
Yes. Dis him all you want for the public statements, etc. Yes that is his job. But my point is this:

Does that mean he gets the blame (or praise) for the choices made by the BORG? This is not the RF or traditonal GM position.

If it wasn't DW but someone else as GM he/she would be put in the same position.

Don't know what you do for a living. In my work experience I had to give customers bad news in ways that didn't sound shitty even though I was against the new pricing or policy or whatever. Should I have quit my generally very positive job and should the cutomer blame me for decisions that I told management were going to be problems?

Look I am in the unhappy camp with what has gone on with TDA and everything else this off season. But I repeat, not putting it all on DW's shoulders. [Do you think it was DW's idea to slap Forslund in the face?]

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yes. Dis him all you want for the public statements, etc. Yes that is his job. But my point is this:

Does that mean he gets the blame (or praise) for the choices made by the BORG? This is not the RF or traditonal GM position.

If it wasn't DW but someone else as GM he/she would be put in the same position.

Don't know what you do for a living. In my work experience I had to give customers bad news in ways that didn't sound shitty even though I was against the new pricing or policy or whatever. Should I have quit my generally very positive job and should the cutomer blame me for decisions that I told management were going to be problems?

Look I am in the unhappy camp with what has gone on with TDA and everything else this off season. But I repeat, not putting it all on DW's shoulders. [Do you think it was DW's idea to slap Forslund in the face?]

To be clear on my point: Yes, I do blame the General Manager for management decisions that are a problem (either perceived as of right now or proven in the future). Do I believe he makes every decision? No, I don't. I didn't believe that of Ronnie either. But it comes with the job. I'm not going to hate the guy, but I do believe it's his job to take the blame.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
To be clear on my point: Yes, I do blame the General Manager for management decisions that are a problem (either perceived as of right now or proven in the future). Do I believe he makes every decision? No, I don't. I didn't believe that of Ronnie either. But it comes with the job. I'm not going to hate the guy, but I do believe it's his job to take the blame.
OK. That's your position. Agree to disagree.

But curious. Do you blame DW for the Forslund fiasco? He was the GM for that.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I know there's a lot against it but I wonder if there's any chance the Canes might be kicking the tires on a Laine trade?

Considerations against:
  • Could Laine fit in a Brind'Amour system?
  • How much would it cost to acquire him?
  • All things considered you'd have to be looking at it as a 1 year rental.
  • In Division trade for BJs

Considerations for:
  • Dundon would have to want to make a heavy push for the Cup right now.
  • Scoring seems to be the biggest Canes need and if Laine gets clicking who could provide more?
  • If you're going to make a rental for a serious Cup run you get a full year instead of a fraction of the season.
  • Laine / Columbus long term is very unlikely, and his trade value has to be way down.
  • Very outside shot of more than 1 year if everything clicked perfectly?
  • Easily have room for his $7.5m cap hit.
  • Decent chance that a move like that might help to neutralize the Dougy / TDA fallout with the general fan population somewhat?

Again, I know it's a long shot, I'm just wondering if it's at all a possibility.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
OK. That's your position. Agree to disagree.

But curious. Do you blame DW for the Forslund fiasco? He was the GM for that.
Of course I do. I'm pretty sure that Dundon gave him a budget for the broadcast, maybe even an ultimatum on the contract structures, but Don is the guy the manages the organization. Ultimately, he is responsible for making things work.

I also blame Ronnie for his failures, too. But I also know Ronnie had issues he had to deal with that were "challenging" just like Don has issues that are "challenging".

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I know there's a lot against it but I wonder if there's any chance the Canes might be kicking the tires on a Laine trade?
Laine's value is all time low right after Keklu traded his 1C Dubois for him. I think Laine's expected future value is higher for Keklu than what he could get for him in a trade.

If we paid like we were trading for Dubois (1C asking to be traded) so Keklu can recover some, then there might be a possibility.

Alas, Keklu would look stupid if Laine suddenly turned on, and we got the skilled feeders to turn him on, and for that reason if I was Keklu I would be very wary to trade Laine now to Canes or elsewhere where he possibly could instantly bloom.

In-division, crying out loud. What if Laine noticeably contributed to eliminating them from the playoffs?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
. . .

Alas, Keklu would look stupid if Laine suddenly turned on, and we got the skilled feeders to turn him on, and for that reason if I was Keklu I would be very wary to trade Laine now to Canes or elsewhere where he possibly could instantly bloom.

In-division, crying out loud. What if Laine noticeably contributed to eliminating them from the playoffs?

That would be a wonderful thing for the Canes? :sarcasm:

edit: added "in division trade" to the "cons" list

Reactions: Lempo

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I mentioned something around Laine earlier. I don't know what gets it done for CBJ....Maybe Nino + 1st? Keku flips Nino for another 1st at the TDL? or if they want a center Suzuki + 1st.

This PP would be sick

Svech - Aho - TT
Laine (in the Ovi spot) and ADA

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad