Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v11.0: The D Man Cometh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
The problem I keep reading (please correct if I am wrong) is that most of our Dmen prospects are heavily geared towards offense and have not yet developed 2 way skills even to an average level. Meaning they will not be able to be physical, challenge for the puck on the boards, or even handle PK duties. Amirite?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The problem I keep reading (please correct if I am wrong) is that most of our Dmen prospects are heavily geared towards offense and have not yet developed 2 way skills even to an average level. Meaning they will not be able to be physical, challenge for the puck on the boards, or even handle PK duties. Amirite?

Boqvist is an offensive dman for sure and so is Beaudin but Mitchell and Joker are more in the mold of complete 200ft any situation D.

Reactions: borednow

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Boqvist is an offensive dman for sure and so is Beaudin but Mitchell and Joker are more in the mold of complete 200ft any situation D.

Have not seen much of Beaudin play so cannot comment on his defensive deficiencies if any ..But like Boqvist needs to add muscle strength to pay at the NHL level to be even average I'm NHL physical battles son the boards and in front protecting the crease .

Have seen litsb9f Boqvist in okay with London this season. . HE actuallyis not as soft as I thought. .gets his body in the way ...it timid like Forsling or soft like His. .BUT I just think he needs more development time to add more muscle and strength ..Defending with the stick is very good ..so really not that bad defending g athletically. A bit more developing required in developing better hockey sense as to anticipating rather than just reacting. ..but that should cone with more time and experience too..I think he has potential to be effective defensively ..just has to work on a few things. ..but he already is good with the stick ...good with closing off guys because hi skating gets him there in time ..He is not a shot blocker ...He will never be a defensive shutdown guy...but hecalready has some aspects that are better defensively than many of our current dmen.

As to Boqvist on 9ffense...despite the impressive goals and assist totals for an OHL rookie ,I still think he needs another year I juniors to get even Better offensively. THE toal offensive game is NOT there YET!

What I mean is...he plays like a support player ..not a take charge #1 star dman should ...he does not commad the ice or dominate games as he should ...THIS should come next season after several of London's veteran dmen leave ...like Bouchard and Regula;in a sense it is u deratandavle ..It is not really HIS TEAM ...Bouchard is the vet Captain and leader of the dmen..Regula also has been there several seasons .And so as a rookie Boqvist has to be just a support guy ..not assume a leader role ..Also he still is so young .Next season I want to see more leadership and confidence and command of the game from him. IT IS this even more than getting better defensively that I need to see before 8 can say he is ready to help the Hawks in the SHOW.

Let him develop...Get stronger.Learn more about even better defending ..and most of all...learn to take over the team and make it HIS TEAM to lead ...

He has potential to be a great even 2-WAY dman ...if you call what Keith did in his all-star years ...it just will take a bit more time. He will neverbover-match guts physically. .but he us not afraid to get his body in there ..so if he just gets stronger he can be at least "average" in the using the body part of the game ..he is not a total softy .but he needs to add muscle ..which he can over more time.

I think next season he will show more take charge...both in the offensive and defensive aspects of the game. Do not rush the process.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Have not seen much of Beaudin play so cannot comment on his defensive deficiencies if any ..But like Boqvist needs to add muscle strength to pay at the NHL level to be even average I'm NHL physical battles son the boards and in front protecting the crease .

Have seen litsb9f Boqvist in okay with London this season. . HE actuallyis not as soft as I thought. .gets his body in the way ...it timid like Forsling or soft like His. .BUT I just think he needs more development time to add more muscle and strength ..Defending with the stick is very good ..so really not that bad defending g athletically. A bit more developing required in developing better hockey sense as to anticipating rather than just reacting. ..but that should cone with more time and experience too..I think he has potential to be effective defensively ..just has to work on a few things. ..but he already is good with the stick ...good with closing off guys because hi skating gets him there in time ..He is not a shot blocker ...He will never be a defensive shutdown guy...but hecalready has some aspects that are better defensively than many of our current dmen.

As to Boqvist on 9ffense...despite the impressive goals and assist totals for an OHL rookie ,I still think he needs another year I juniors to get even Better offensively. THE toal offensive game is NOT there YET!

What I mean is...he plays like a support player ..not a take charge #1 star dman should ...he does not commad the ice or dominate games as he should ...THIS should come next season after several of London's veteran dmen leave ...like Bouchard and Regula;in a sense it is u deratandavle ..It is not really HIS TEAM ...Bouchard is the vet Captain and leader of the dmen..Regula also has been there several seasons .And so as a rookie Boqvist has to be just a support guy ..not assume a leader role ..Also he still is so young .Next season I want to see more leadership and confidence and command of the game from him. IT IS this even more than getting better defensively that I need to see before 8 can say he is ready to help the Hawks in the SHOW.

Let him develop...Get stronger.Learn more about even better defending ..and most of all...learn to take over the team and make it HIS TEAM to lead ...

He has potential to be a great even 2-WAY dman ...if you call what Keith did in his all-star years ...it just will take a bit more time. He will neverbover-match guts physically. .but he us not afraid to get his body in there ..so if he just gets stronger he can be at least "average" in the using the body part of the game ..he is not a total softy .but he needs to add muscle ..which he can over more time.

I think next season he will show more take charge...both in the offensive and defensive aspects of the game. Do not rush the process.

I mostly agree.

Support comment is interesting but I view it as a let the play flow and not force the play. He has at times dictated play and he can co troll the ice by doing so.

HF50: download Grammerly, it will fix your typos.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Bobby's boy Fortin with a Koekkoek esc gift wrap there and Ejdsell with a fly by. Delia played well by all accounts (Hogs lost 1-0 to the Wolves).

Jokiharju with a nice play there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClydeLee

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If you re-did the 2018 draft now how would your top 10 look now?
Mine was:
1. Dahlin
2. Svech
3. Hughes
4. Wahlstrom
5. Zadina
6. Kravtsov
7. Kotkaniemi
8. Boqvist
9. Dobson
10. Kaut

If I redid it, I guess it would look something like this:

1. Dahlin
2. Svech
3. Hughes
4. Tkachuk
5. Kravtsov
6. Wahlstrom
7. Kotkaniemi
8. Zadina
9. Boqvist
10. Kaut

I think it's too early to call but Tkachuk definitely needs to be on the list.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Mine was:
1. Dahlin
2. Svech
3. Hughes
4. Wahlstrom
5. Zadina
6. Kravtsov
7. Kotkaniemi
8. Boqvist
9. Dobson
10. Kaut

If I redid it, I guess it would look something like this:

1. Dahlin
2. Svech
3. Hughes
4. Tkachuk
5. Kravtsov
6. Wahlstrom
7. Kotkaniemi
8. Zadina
9. Boqvist
10. Kaut

I think it's too early to call but Tkachuk definitely needs to be on the list.

Wahlstrom that high still? Interesting.

I had it like this.

1. Dahlin
2. Svech
3. Tkachuk
4a. Boqvist
4b. Hughes
6. Zadina
7. Kravtsov
8. Kotkaniemi
9. Wahlstrom
10. Dobson

I liked Hughes and Boqvist but thought Hughes was a rover too much.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Wahlstrom that high still? Interesting.

I had it like this.

1. Dahlin
2. Svech
3. Tkachuk
4a. Boqvist
4b. Hughes
6. Zadina
7. Kravtsov
8. Kotkaniemi
9. Wahlstrom
10. Dobson

I liked Hughes and Boqvist but thought Hughes was a rover too much.
As I said it's too early to call. We just won't know until these guys hit the NHL.

I guess Kotkaniemi should be over Wahlstrom on my revised list.

Also Joel Farabee is having a hell of a year.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
When Boqvist and Bouchard are used on the same PP at the points, Boqvist is playing LD;they valorous use him at LD on certain shifts when Bouchard and Regula are getting extra 5x5 shifts and in these they use Boqvist too at LD with one of the other d-men while still giving him RD with his regular d-partner...in other words when they are extra shifting their top 3 den, Boqvist is one of the 3 getting more shifts too but they slide him.over to LD ..

So he is getting work on the left side too.

If we cannot fit all 3 (Jokiharju ,Boqvist,Mitchell on the right side,and assuming we do not trade Mitchell in some deal for a good forward) themn of the 3 of them,Boqvist is best to play his off side as LD. ...No question about it.

Reactions: BK and ClydeLee

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
When Boqvist and Bouchard are used on the same PP at the points, Boqvist is playing LD;they valorous use him at LD on certain shifts when Bouchard and Regula are getting extra 5x5 shifts and in these they use Boqvist too at LD with one of the other d-men while still giving him RD with his regular d-partner...in other words when they are extra shifting their top 3 den, Boqvist is one of the 3 getting more shifts too but they slide him.over to LD ..

So he is getting work on the left side too.

If we cannot fit all 3 (Jokiharju ,Boqvist,Mitchell on the right side,and assuming we do not trade Mitchell in some deal for a good forward) themn of the 3 of them,Boqvist is best to play his off side as LD. ...No question about it.

Playing Boqvist on LD also will boost his offensive potential as he will be able to use his shot more often on one-timers.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So far in competion vs. USHL teams this season Jack Hughes (AFTER his hat-trick last night vs.Central Illinois) has 5g 18 a in 14GP ..BUT still shooting a lousy 7.8% ...by far the lowest shooting %among the 6 best USHL forwards who are all in the mid-to high teens except for Alex Turcotte who is scorching at 28% (he has 7 goals and 9 assists in 9GP... Hugheso is a playmaker mostly..his shot is suspect to me based on what I saw at the WJHC and these alarming shooting stats in USHL play ..

Now...overall Team USA playing a mere USHL club team is usually can over match anyway because of the stacked nature of the talent on that Team USA club...Body. ..Zrgrad..The Caulfield. .. etc...

Hard to judge a single player off that kind of kugelbitz aglomeration of talent ..like playing an alk'star squad.

How would Hughes or Turcotte do if they only played for say a midfle if the pack USHL squad? I think Turcotte would do better. .Better shot and all round player...Hughes probably would get a lot less assists than his "nornak" because he would have less talent to finish off his passes ...

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He has been great all year. Has been getting slept on this board alot. Always root for the goalies who catch with their opposite hand.

Reactions: Blue Liner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad