Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v11.0: The D Man Cometh

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Just saw Ian Mitchell play Nebraska-Omaha on Friday. He's an insanely smooth skater and completely effortless. He was by far the best skater on the ice, his physical play was average. His D didn't really stand out to me but he had a really nice play to break up a 2 on 1. He also had an assist off a nice breakout pass. Also had a nice shot on the PP and hit the post. Overall I was pretty impressed and would love to see him in the top 4 next season

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That shot tho

Wow. He's always been a good shooter but that looks like quite the upgrade over when I was watching him last year.

Its fair to say his offensive game has been developing without a hitch. Just needs to round out his other skills.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'd rather have Boqvist in Rockford. I get that he needs to improve his defensive game, but is the OHL really the best place for that?

I liked having him in the OHL this year just to get accustomed to the smaller ice, but I think he needs to take the next step and play in the AHL.

I feel like it'd be a mistake if he spent another full year in the OHL so I'm surprised it's being discussed. He'll be 19 to start next season. 19 year olds in the AHL this season: Brannstrom, Sandin, Vaakanainen, Jokiharju, and Liljegren. I understand Boqvist is a project pick, but you can't tell me that he won't be at the level of these guys currently to start next season.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I can see it. Would make him be "the man" on defense on that London team. Bouchard is all but gone most likely.

I'm just surprised considering the Hawks were talking about him being in the AHL next season from early reports because of his training camp earlier this year.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I can see it. Would make him be "the man" on defense on that London team. Bouchard is all but gone most likely.

I'm just surprised considering the Hawks were talking about him being in the AHL next season from early reports because of his training camp earlier this year.
It doesn't shock me because he's a draft eligibility tweener. The cutoff for draft eligibility is being 18 by 8/31 of draft year, and Boqvist was born during the middle of August. He's closer in age to 2019 draft eligible players than most of his class. This matters much more with D than F.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idionym

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
seems a bit premature to be talking about him staying in the OHL...he has an entire off season to get stronger and mature a bit more. I don't think he has anything left to prove in the OHL and would much rather he be playing in the AHL and available for call up when needed.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'd rather have Boqvist in Rockford. I get that he needs to improve his defensive game, but is the OHL really the best place for that?

I liked having him in the OHL this year just to get accustomed to the smaller ice, but I think he needs to take the next step and play in the AHL.

I feel like it'd be a mistake if he spent another full year in the OHL so I'm surprised it's being discussed. He'll be 19 to start next season. 19 year olds in the AHL this season: Brannstrom, Sandin, Vaakanainen, Jokiharju, and Liljegren. I understand Boqvist is a project pick, but you can't tell me that he won't be at the level of these guys currently to start next season.
it is not and certainly London is not the best team for that either..if they want him to work on/improve his defense, then AHL all the way.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
seems a bit premature to be talking about him staying in the OHL...he has an entire off season to get stronger and mature a bit more. I don't think he has anything left to prove in the OHL and would much rather he be playing in the AHL and available for call up when needed.
That's how I feel. He did this year what Sandin did last year by proving that he's ahead of OHL competition. Rockford is the place for him to hone his defence. If needed the Hawks could acquire an AHL vet to help mentor him like Aaron Ness or something.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Hawks sign Hagel’s teamate/captain

I guess the Hawks have been watching a lot of Red Deer games and like what they see. Johnson doesn't have stats like Hagel, so I wonder what they like about his game.

Regardless, it's nice to see Rockford getting replenished with some more forwards cause that's a weak spot for the team.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Weird signing. Dude has not had an impressive OHL career at all. Almost reminds me when the Hawks tried to give Kyle Maksimovich a shot and couldn't even hack a game in the AHL. Ah well, I guess an AHL body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad