Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v11.0: The D Man Cometh

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
Rockford Buzz

I wrote about Sunday night's piggies game. highlight video is embedded in the article. I'm learning as I go. Let me know if there's anything else you guys want me to include going forward too. I try my best to take notes while also just enjoying the game. I'll do my best!
Excellent reporting.
A good name for your reports should be..
The Full Court Press

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I see way more people saying “your crazy if you think these defenders are going to be ready next season” than people actually saying our young defenders are going to be ready next season.

Reactions: ClydeLee and Giovi

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am not against Boqvist at all. . I am tempering expectations on his NHL ETA and impact = how long till he is "ready"...same for Beaudin..

Some on these boards are crazy if they expect 1 or both of these guys to roll in next season and take a spot and make a real difference..Not happen on.

Let me remind everyone ...Thomas Chabot drafted in 2015 ...that is 4 drafts ago .. he is now 22...did not play in NHL (except force game eatlier) and made a "ready" impact till last season! That means he was 20 turning 21 when they gave him a "show" spot because he had paid his dues developing. ..more strength plus AHL experience ..

So Boqvist and Beaudoin are going to need time to continue getting g stronger...more weight. ..and more experience...and probably some AHL experience before they are ready to play NHLERS in the show.

Boqvist is still only 18 ...Beaudoin older at 19 but it will be at least 2 more seasons of development before they are ready for prime time in the show ..you cannot rush this process.
In most cases it is 3 -4 years after being drafted before they are NHL ready ..a few are ready a year earlier at 20 ..but for most 21 or 23 before they can handle NHL men well enough.

So I merely am saying at this stage both Boqvist and Beaudin need more development before they get their shot to help the Hawks..

I am not saying it is impossible small or smallish d-men in height and or weight can never be good enough to impact in the NHL...Keith was not very weighty at his 6'0 when he came into the Hawks lineup from college that he left early..but he s was pressed into learning on the job and did not get his weight up for a few years after they inserted him ..and you remember he and even the much bigger Seabrook has 2 rough years learning on the job ....before they really were ready to handle NHL pros and not get dominated.

So all I am saying is that do not expect miracles from their insertions for a few years yet.

Keith left college for the WHL then started in Norfolk the next season.

Player development is much more advanced today that it used to be.

Reactions: Giovi

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Anyone else see the irony in this tweet? He is not wrong in the premise that not all prospect turn out but good god he sounds like Las but even less credibility.

yeah JJ, a prospect from nearly 8 years ago, where the game was still having hardons for truculence and 6'3 and above players, should be held as the cautionary tale to look at in today's game. let's also ignore what types of players are succeeding more than ever at the NHL level for that position as well as the systems we have in place here where a player like that can excel...but yeah JJ, let's just assume since Rundblad didn't make it during a different era/different coaching system that Boqvist, Mitch, Beaudin, etc will not as well or we shouldn't be excited in them....FFS what a douche

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He really does just crap over everything.
If you ask me, JJ is a combo of BWC's eternal pessimism and Fiddy's obsession with smurfs. He agrees with Fiddy that anyone under 6-1 is a smurf. Somehow hockey has turned into hoops for those guys and 6-1 is a minimum height requirement for NHL hockey. MSL, Kane, and DeBrincat have proven that false but they tout them as exceptions to the rule.

Reactions: Blue Liner and BK

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Anyone else see the irony in this tweet? He is not wrong in the premise that not all prospect turn out but good god he sounds like Las but even less credibility.

Nobody is saying that these guys are transforming the Hawks next year. But, yes over the next three years, plus getting a better dzone and neutral zone system with forwards who care to play on the defensive side of the puck...

Btw, I’ll take a 50% hit rate on our current defensemen prospects and jump like a crazy guy with happiness at that outcome.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The issue is NOT never draft any smaller players...but RATHER how many for your best lineup or projected future lineups...And if you already have quite a few small players projected for future lineups ,should you take another small player if he is the BPA when you pick?

If the Hawks make the playoffs we will not need to worry about any lottery chance at Jack Hughes...and our pick would be 16 or higher ...not going to be a smurf to take in the 16-18 range anyway. .so will not be an issue..however if we miss the playoffs but get lucky in the litho draw for the #1 slot, then should we take Hughes at #1 just because he is the "consensus' best player ranked ?

No way we should do that if this unlikely scenario happens...Smurf Hughes is a bad fit fir us because we would slit him as 3C and no more room in the position. ..he would be out of his best roles playing for us...We need 5'11 180 and up Centers for a 3C role but who would move to 1C by 4-5 years out when Toews gets moved to 3C role

Or we should take Kakko as the best winger and next on the BPA list.

But most likely we are not drafting 1st or 2nd ...more likely it will be 16-17 ...that late Alex Turcotte who would be a great pick for a 3C role for a few years till Toews moves out of the 1C role,is probably taken ahead of our pick ...Maybe Artur Kaliyev is still there...great sniper but lots of concerns about compete level and consistency. Or maybe we go big with Brett Leading if he still is there.. Or maybe we go D ...again..but this time a Bigger Dman...maybe Vlasic from the USNTDP.....

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
How far away is Joker realisrptically from being at a minimum a 2nd pairing Dman? And then how far from being 2way and a decent ST Dman?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
The issue is NOT never draft any smaller players...but RATHER how many for your best lineup or projected future lineups...And if you already have quite a few small players projected for future lineups ,should you take another small player if he is the BPA when you pick?

If the Hawks make the playoffs we will not need to worry about any lottery chance at Jack Hughes...and our pick would be 16 or higher ...not going to be a smurf to take in the 16-18 range anyway. .so will not be an issue..however if we miss the playoffs but get lucky in the litho draw for the #1 slot, then should we take Hughes at #1 just because he is the "consensus' best player ranked ?

No way we should do that if this unlikely scenario happens...Smurf Hughes is a bad fit fir us because we would slit him as 3C and no more room in the position. ..he would be out of his best roles playing for us...We need 5'11 180 and up Centers for a 3C role but who would move to 1C by 4-5 years out when Toews gets moved to 3C role

Or we should take Kakko as the best winger and next on the BPA list.

But most likely we are not drafting 1st or 2nd ...more likely it will be 16-17 ...that late Alex Turcotte who would be a great pick for a 3C role for a few years till Toews moves out of the 1C role,is probably taken ahead of our pick ...Maybe Artur Kaliyev is still there...great sniper but lots of concerns about compete level and consistency. Or maybe we go big with Brett Leading if he still is there.. Or maybe we go D ...again..but this time a Bigger Dman...maybe Vlasic from the USNTDP.....
Again, Hughes is the consensus #1, unchallenged, according to pretty much every professional draft scout.

Having the first pick and bypassing him for Kakko would be no different than bypassing Kane for Van Riemsdyk in 2007. The team would be a laughing stock.

You take the bpa, especially at #1. If you end up with a logjam at center you make a deal.

Bypassing a clearly superior talent in order to draft for perceived need is an absolutely ridiculous concept.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
How far away is Joker realisrptically from being at a minimum a 2nd pairing Dman? And then how far from being 2way and a decent ST Dman?
If Hawks make the play offs I think he'll be back up here playing second pairing minutes.

Might even be here earlier depending on what Stan does at the deadline.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
If Hawks make the play offs I think he'll be back up here playing second pairing minutes.

Might even be here earlier depending on what Stan does at the deadline.

But how far away is he from being a full 2 way Dman to handle the PK, PP, and overall Dzone responsibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->