All purpose PHANEUF trade rumour thread

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
if we cant get a quality return for phaneuf there is absolutely no reason to dump him.

i fully expect the team to look 100% different under babcock then other coaches we have had so i can only see phaneufs value increasing.

at the end of the day he is still a 30 year old top pairing defenseman. his contract isnt cheap but i dont think it is unreasonable considering what other people are getting. there will always be a market for players like phaneuf. it is the toronto media that brings down his value.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
His back to back career worst production years are what's killing his value

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
I posted this on another thread...rumor from nhl radio...phaneuf to dallas for Jason demers and travis morin and 2nd rd pick 2016...no salary retained...rumored to be what the leafs want not what dallas offered

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
if we cant get a quality return for phaneuf there is absolutely no reason to dump him.

Cap space? Not having his terrible example on the ice for our developing players? There's nothing positive about keeping him as far as I can see, now that we've stopped pretending that we're a playoff team.

People need to let go of the idea that Phaneuf is worth anything, either to us or another team. His value is lower than it was when we gave Calgary a collection of borderline NHL players for him.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I'm still thinking their are a couple of teams out there that would like to take him on, just my opinion.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Cap space? Not having his terrible example on the ice for our developing players? There's nothing positive about keeping him as far as I can see, now that we've stopped pretending that we're a playoff team.

People need to let go of the idea that Phaneuf is worth anything, either to us or another team. His value is lower than it was when we gave Calgary a collection of borderline NHL players for him.

You don't believe he'll be traded at some point?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
His play continues to decline and he still has 6 years left at $7 mil cap so its not an easy sell unless Leafs are taking back offsetting contract(s).

Dallas has been interested and Leafs taking goalie Lehtonen (3 years @ $5.9 mil) and adding Reimer perhaps after they signed Antti Niemi makes some sense if the Leafs get a good prospect or pick included.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I posted this on another thread...rumor from nhl radio...phaneuf to dallas for Jason demers and travis morin and 2nd rd pick 2016...no salary retained...rumored to be what the leafs want not what dallas offered
Pretty pretty.. pretty low return. I would probably not do that as a GM sir. But is I a gm or is I ain't? LOL

Demers is not that good. He crumbles under pressure.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
You don't believe he'll be traded at some point?

I think he'll be traded, but at no real gain to the Leafs (aside from the the obvious: getting rid of the guy). We will have to retain salary or take back equally bad contracts, and wont be getting anything significant to go along with that. I'm leaning towards retained salary as being most likely. For 1/2 to 2/3 of his actual cap-hit Phaneuf is worth the roster spot to a lot of teams. In return I don't see the Leafs getting anything better than a very late 1st round pick.

Let's not forget this disaster of a contract runs through the 2020-2021 season. A team would be doing us a favour taking on that many years even with salary retained. You may point out that the actual salary drops steadily over the rest of his contract, to which I would reply that his level of play is already dropping faster than his salary and the rest of the league can plainly see that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

That's laughable.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
His play continues to decline and he still has 6 years left at $7 mil cap so its not an easy sell unless Leafs are taking back offsetting contract(s).

Dallas has been interested and Leafs taking goalie Lehtonen (3 years @ $5.9 mil) and adding Reimer perhaps after they signed Antti Niemi makes some sense if the Leafs get a good prospect or pick included.
Lehtonen I don't know man... he isn't good with pressure surrounding him. Reminds me of goalie Vesa Toskala. Both finnish, same type, don't train much. (Lehtonen once couldn't do two pushups when he started in the nhl its a legendary story, he got hurt almost like every two weeks back then.) It was a sad event.
He can catch that puck at times a lot... but I hope and don't think toronto is the right answer. Niemi would be better for us, he is a warrior goalie who does that work.

I like Reimer better than Lehtonen myself.

Swayze*

Its his skating

And its only going to get much much worse

When you look at Hodgson, Richards etc they're decline was mainly due to foot speed. We should have taken Detroits miserable offer at the deadline.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Apparently, the Stars wanna have a 1A/1B platoon situation with Lehtonen and Niemi. Yes, it makes no sense whatsoever ($10.4M tied up in a goaltending platoon... okay, there). But I do like the idea of taking Lehtonen back as a dump. Can be a servicable backup to Bernier, maybe rebounds to previous form, and 3 years is a good length.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He is paid among the top 10 dman with highest cap wise and that is hurting his trade value, but Leafs have the ability to retain salary so that should help.

Come on Mess, you know this is a nonsense argument. RFA vs UFA, old CBA vs New.

If we gave Phaneuf a retirement contract with 5 years at 1mil at the end, we would have him at a 5-5.5 cap hit which is not unreasonable.

Can't do that in the new CBA.

Also look at the other D signed. They are all #4-bottom pairing D getting 5-5.5 MIL and Franson is asking for 5.5 long term.

That's 1.5 more for a top pairing D.

Also considering Phaneuf has averaged 30 points a season and finished -4, +3- and -11 in the last 3 years with a bottom pairing D (Gunner) and another bottom pairing D who had trouble cracking the Preds D (Franson), while playing some of the hardest minutes in the NHL, he's pretty good.

I'm sure if we put Phaneuf with Rielly this year it will be his first top pairing D partner in Toronto. We'll see the best of Phaneuf.

Swayze*

according to Shanny nobody has expressed interest yet and no offers made

Sad

Maybe we can trade him for Stajan

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Apparently, the Stars wanna have a 1A/1B platoon situation with Lehtonen and Niemi. Yes, it makes no sense whatsoever ($10.4M tied up in a goaltending platoon... okay, there). But I do like the idea of taking Lehtonen back as a dump. Can be a servicable backup to Bernier, maybe rebounds to previous form, and 3 years is a good length.

I don't like taking a goalie as a cap dump, no. Can't see the Leafs doing that - and it's a big cap dump.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
according to Shanny nobody has expressed interest yet and no offers made

Sad

Maybe we can trade him for Stajan

It's not shocking, really. Kessel and JvR are the only legit players we have(excluding guys like Reily). Why would you be interested in Phanuef at his cap hit? Why would you be interested in Lupul and Bozak? None of those guys are top notch players, in my opinon. On a good/great team, Phaneuf is a second pairing guy. At 7M a season, that's too much.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lehtonen I don't know man... he isn't good with pressure surrounding him. Reminds me of goalie Vesa Toskala. Both finnish, same type, don't train much. (Lehtonen once couldn't do two pushups when he started in the nhl its a legendary story, he got hurt almost like every two weeks back then.) It was a sad event.
He can catch that puck at times a lot... but I hope and don't think toronto is the right answer. Niemi would be better for us, he is a warrior goalie who does that work.

I like Reimer better than Lehtonen myself.

Its not about the goalies its about trying to get Phaneuf a new home and willing to take back contract $$ to facilitate a trade. By taking the Lehtonen contract we could get a 1st in return hopefully.

My plan was to then flip Bernier to San Jose for a 1st, but Boston beat us to the punch by trading them Martin Jones today.

Todd Skill

Feb 17, 2012
Could be that the Leafs would let him go for a less than stellar package, but keeping him could be the consulation prize to Babcock for going with Marner over Hanifin. An awesome offer (that has yet to present itself) would obviously trump this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad