All purpose PHANEUF trade rumour thread

Mar 26, 2010
There is no secret that Phaneuf has to go. He should be priority over Kessel to be traded. The team is in great need of a culture change and it starts with the worst captain in the history of the franchise.

What are the possible destinations/returns for him?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'll be very surprised if he doesn't start the season with the Leafs.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Priority doesn't matter. It's a fan idea. They'll listen to offers on all of them and the first one to be traded is the first one they get a good offer for.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Browsing the main boards and Dallas looks like they need a top pairing defenseman. Problem is, Dion is a declining #2/3 with 7M x 6 years remaining.

His acquisition price from the Calgary Flames was essentially spare parts, not much of value. Getting rid of him the return I can't reasonably expect would be much greater, especially with the albatross contract.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
With the contract that he has, the fact that hes slow and isn't a Leader, I also think Babcock was a pushing factor in Detroit wanting him, which is why the trade talks stopped after he came to Toronto ... It's going to be hard to get rid of him. I think he might possibly be gone by next years trade deadline, maybe a package with Kessel? Who knows... but i know one thing is for sure, i want this knuckle head gone if he doesn't do a 180 improvement under Babcock because I've had "PHA"nough of this knuckle head.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Browsing the main boards and Dallas looks like they need a top pairing defenseman. Problem is, Dion is a declining #2/3 with 7M x 6 years remaining.

His acquisition price from the Calgary Flames was essentially spare parts, not much of value. Getting rid of him the return I can't reasonably expect would be much greater, especially with the albatross contract.

Dallas?

Phaneuf + Reimer for 1st + 2nd + Lehtonen

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
Yeah, worst case scenario we can give Boston the players we don't want and clean out their cupboard for them.

It's like the whole league is their best friend who heads over and raids their fridge.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
I'll be very surprised if he doesn't start the season with the Leafs.

Its barely stomachable the thought of it but I do have to agree. Should be stripped of the captaincy upon his return however, what management sees in him in terms of leadership qualities I have no idea.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
well I was hearing (i think i read it on here, so I am not sure) that LA circled back to Dion, but wants us to retain 2 million.

with the Richards drama, (they have to be on hold for 1.32 million for 5 years). it kind of balances out.

I'm fine with retaining if Kempe is personally handing over the 2017 1st rounder along with it.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
Well seeing how we traded Jamal Mayers, Ian White, and Matt Stajan for Phaneuf... I'm pretty happy with whatever we get for Phaneuf, Calgary got fleeced in the trade IMO.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I am a Phaneuf fan but if we got anything like a 3rd round pick+ without retaining I would pull the trigger - he will not increase in value and at a certain point people will know they can overpay someone similar in FA.

I liked the signing at the time because I believe he had value even with a 7/7 - still think this is true but will be tricky to move.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
With the contract that he has, the fact that hes slow and isn't a Leader, I also think Babcock was a pushing factor in Detroit wanting him, which is why the trade talks stopped after he came to Toronto ... It's going to be hard to get rid of him. I think he might possibly be gone by next years trade deadline, maybe a package with Kessel? Who knows... but i know one thing is for sure, i want this knuckle head gone if he doesn't do a 180 improvement under Babcock because I've had "PHA"nough of this knuckle head.

The common perception is that he is difficult to move now, but the hope is that Babcock could salvage some of his value when he gets his hands on him next season. The fact that he's a stiff on skates is going to be a tough task for Babs though.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I still think that Phaneuf is a #1 Defender.

I'd be happy to keep him on the team for the term of his contract.

Kessel on the other hand...

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
There is no secret that Phaneuf has to go. He should be priority over Kessel to be traded. The team is in great need of a culture change and it starts with the worst captain in the history of the franchise.

What are the possible destinations/returns for him?

You may want to tell Babs your secret, he seems to disagree.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I am a Phaneuf fan but if we got anything like a 3rd round pick+ without retaining I would pull the trigger - he will not increase in value and at a certain point people will know they can overpay someone similar in FA.

I liked the signing at the time because I believe he had value even with a 7/7 - still think this is true but will be tricky to move.

There is no one similar in Free agency. Considering the guys who got 5.5 Mil lately what do you think Dion would get on the open market ? I'll wager 6+. HF posters ignore Dion's contract is not that bad, this is not a #6 defenseman we are talking about.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
The value is pretty simple. Phaneuf for a mid to late first, in 2016 or 2017.

On the trade boards, some Buffalo fans were saying that they'd trade their 2017 1st + for him.

Don't think Detroit is interested anymore.

Dallas and Philadelphia are two other likely locations. Flyers likely send MacDonald back, which means they need to pay more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad