All purpose PHANEUF trade rumour thread

YOYOTCROSTER*

Phaneuf will get the net assignment in his own end with the reverse option pass back which Detroit used very successfully. I think you are right he will look much more sheltered in Bab's system assuming he runs the same one here in Toronto. My concern is Leafs personnel at forward will not be able to shelter the defence like they do in Detroit. Can you really see Lupul playing the triangle tight with Kadri to get puck out? 2 short quick passes and you are out but will Lupul hustle back hard to make that play and does Kadri have the deft hands like Datysuk to make that play all the time. The system will work but maybe not with Toronto's personnel. As Bab's said it will be a painfull year of learning and likely last place in league (or at least fight with Arizona for top pick). Hopefully Matthews. then Jac. Either one of those 2 guys and we have a real top flight 1C or 1D with the complete package of size speed and skill. Today we don't have a complete package prospect but we have much more depth which is a start.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Lol at people thinking a top 2 pairing is worth so little...... LA and Buffalo should be lined up, him with doughty could be one of the best dpairings in the league.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
There is no secret that Phaneuf has to go. He should be priority over Kessel to be traded. The team is in great need of a culture change and it starts with the worst captain in the history of the franchise.

What are the possible destinations/returns for him?

I disagree that Phaneuf was more important than Kessel to move first.
He gave his all, 100%, like a pro should. Phil didn't.

He sets a good example in terms of training habits, how he comports himself, leading by example for effort, etc. Phil was the opposite.

That being said . . . Phaneuf has also declined a bit, is another onerous contract, and certainly isn't a part of the future where it's bright and we're contending.

My thoughts? Keep him for half a year. Deadline deal if it works, next summer if it doesn't. Remove captaincy before this season however, and rotate it around like many other teams have done.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I disagree that Phaneuf was more important than Kessel to move first.
He gave his all, 100%, like a pro should. Phil didn't.

He sets a good example in terms of training habits, how he comports himself, leading by example for effort, etc. Phil was the opposite.

That being said . . . Phaneuf has also declined a bit, is another onerous contract, and certainly isn't a part of the future where it's bright and we're contending.

My thoughts? Keep him for half a year. Deadline deal if it works, next summer if it doesn't. Remove captaincy before this season however, and rotate it around like many other teams have done.

Agreed, I'll take a team of hard working, skilled guys over a team of lazy, more skilled guys any day of the week.

I don't agree with rotating the captaincy however, this is the leafs not the Coyotes, it means something to be captain here.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Phaneuf will guaranteed be bought out of his contract in the next 2-3 years. Either by us or someone stupid enough to take him.

So help me god if he returns wearing the C..

They don't give out Stanley Cups for trying. Good God.....could you imagine what he'd look like being lazy if he's actually been trying the past 2 years?

He'd be cut from a Timbits team

mikebel111*

Dion is a good man and is the core who cares and tries
However its better for him and the team to split ways
A good d man who every team will like

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I think he's going to be around for another year and then traded. Gardiner and Rielly aren't quite ready for top pairing minutes, and we shouldn't be retaining salary until Gunnarson is off our books. I'd be happier if we can move him without retention this summer, but I'm not sure how realistic that possibility is.

On the other hand, Dallas is looking more and more likely of a destination, as they haven't signed a single defensive UFA.

Also, if we keep him, we get the Phaneuf-Polak pairing. Which should be fun to watch if you like big hits and the excitement of opponent breakaways.

If Phaneuf-Polak is our top pairing next season, hopefully teams will see Polak as a terrible top pairing defenseman which is still more valuable than a good bottom pairing defenseman.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Has anyone heard one rumor of any team being interested in Dion ? All I've heard since the off season is Det is no longer interested .

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Lol at people thinking a top 2 pairing is worth so little...... LA and Buffalo should be lined up, him with doughty could be one of the best dpairings in the league.

The issue is that the Leafs REALLY can't afford to use 2/3 of their contract retention's on 7-year contracts.

Ideally I'd like to see Phaneuf get a decent defensive prospect.

Maybe go to Colorado for Siemens + 1st + something.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The issue is that the Leafs REALLY can't afford to use 2/3 of their contract retention's on 7-year contracts.

Colorado signed Beauchemin, so they have little interest in Phaneuf.

Somebody above said Dallas, and that is probably the one that makes the most sense. They do need an upgrade in their top-4 defensemen. Maybe more importantly, they signed Niemi, which means they want to move Kari Lehtonen and his contract. Phaneuf and Reimer for Lehtonen and Jason Demers might make sense as a base. They replace their 6 million dollar back up goalie with the cheaper Reimer and also get an upgrade on defense. We get a younger defensemen with a little upside, and a better goalie. The cap money is about even. Dallas probably has to add, so let's say either Remi Elie or Radek Faksa and a 3rd round pick (theirs or San Jose's)

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Colorado signed Beauchemin, so they have little interest in Phaneuf.

Somebody above said Dallas, and that is probably the one that makes the most sense. They do need an upgrade in their top-4 defensemen. Maybe more importantly, they signed Niemi, which means they want to move Kari Lehtonen and his contract. Phaneuf and Reimer for Lehtonen and Jason Demers might make sense as a base. They replace their 6 million dollar back up goalie with the cheaper Reimer and also get an upgrade on defense. We get a younger defensemen with a little upside, and a better goalie. The cap money is about even. Dallas probably has to add, so let's say either Remi Elie or Radek Faksa and a 3rd round pick (theirs or San Jose's)

If Bieksa only fetched a 2nd rounder, we should temper our expectations on what we'll get for Dion if he's moved. Before July 1st, if Dallas wanted him, I would have expected a 1st rounder and someone like Nichushkin for him, but no way anymore.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Dion is a good man and is the core who cares and tries
However its better for him and the team to split ways
A good d man who every team will like

Not sure he tries any harder than anyone else, most of the time he looks lazy and disinterested. We are stuck with this chump, we found a sucker GM to take Kessel, noone is taking Phaneuf for the next 6 years at $7 million.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If Bieksa only fetched a 2nd rounder, we should temper our expectations on what we'll get for Dion if he's moved. Before July 1st, if Dallas wanted him, I would have expected a 1st rounder and someone like Nichushkin for him, but no way anymore.

Nichushkin? and a 1st rounder?? This is hilarious, we couldnt even get Nichuskin for him, never mind a 1st rounder.

OOPs, misread it..my bad..i apologize

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Has anyone heard one rumor of any team being interested in Dion ? All I've heard since the off season is Det is no longer interested .

All's quiet, it seems.

My opinion: Either Babcock wants him, or Leafs management are still a little sore from what it took to move Kessel that they don't even want to think about what Dion will return.

Teams seem extremely cap conscious this year, leading to some interestingly odd trades.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

My proposal was tempered expectations - it's not a big return at all. A big contract Dallas wants to unload in Lehtonen, a decent 2nd pairing defenseman in Demers, a 2nd tier prospect in Elie or Faksa, and one of their two 3rd round picks.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Decent captain. Keep him for the rebuild unless we get something of value. Cares about the team, plays hard, lots of charrity and community work. Good example.

Mar 26, 2010
LOL I haven't heard Phaneuf's name in a long time, not even Eklund has anything to speculate on him.

That is because no one wants him. He is a #4 string D getting paid like a #1, that no GM is stupid enough to even take as a #6 D.. it is really a shame... the Leafs are ****ed with him! 6 more years of failure.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way

LOL like that return is happening. Did you just see what Kessel and Oshie went for?

This is a buyers market, and players on big contracts are going for half their worth. We are not getting a 1st or top prospects for him.

At best it will be a cap dump + Pulkinnen type deal like Detroit offered us. We would be better off just keeping him for another year and hoping he improves under Babs. He at least isn't a slacker like Kessel.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Decent captain. Keep him for the rebuild unless we get something of value. Cares about the team, plays hard, lots of charrity and community work. Good example.

I like Dion,always have,you guys in Toronto (yourself probably not included) flip,flop day after day
about every player that ever signed there.Lets get behind the new regime and stop the
constant complaining.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
That is because no one wants him. He is a #4 string D getting paid like a #1, that no GM is stupid enough to even take as a #6 D.. it is really a shame... the Leafs are ****ed with him! 6 more years of failure.

That's harsh. He is a good #3/#4 who can do well if given a good partner. They reason why no one wants him is his contract not his play.

He is a good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3