All purpose PHANEUF trade rumour thread

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Maybe whichever teams interested in Sekera that fail to sign him might turn to Dion afterwards. I'd expect some calls to come in as the free agent pool shrinks.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hopefully someone can answer this:

What has Babcock said to make people think he wants Dion on the team?

The only thing I remember him saying (because he was asked straight up in his hiring day presser) is "I'm a fan of Dion's. He's a good kid". That's the only direct words he's said about him as far as I know. I haven't read or heard Babcock talking more directly about Dion regarding him potentially still being a Maple Leaf and captain.

He did say ""I think you have to help your captain do things right," but this was worded in a way that he wasn't necessarily talking about Dion in any way.

I'm just wondering if there were any interviews after his initial presser where he directly spoke about Phaneuf in relation to the Leafs next season?

Babcock didn't say anything of the sort. Speculation!

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
Its not about the goalies its about trying to get Phaneuf a new home and willing to take back contract $$ to facilitate a trade. By taking the Lehtonen contract we could get a 1st in return hopefully.

My plan was to then flip Bernier to San Jose for a 1st, but Boston beat us to the punch by trading them Martin Jones today.

I was disappointed that we weren't in on that deal. I like Bernier, but a first round pick would be more valuable to this team at this point. Then could have gone with a Ramo-Reimer for a year (finish near the bottom of the league, hopefully draft a Matthews or Chychrun next draft.)

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
I believe Phaneuf is a player Babcock can and will work with.
Unlike Phil, Dion demonstrates a decent work ethic & character.
Many here think he is not captain material. While I'm not sure he is a stalwart leader I don't see anyone else at this time ready to assume that role with the Leafs.
At least in the short term, I believe DP stays with the Leafs.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I believe Phaneuf is a player Babcock can and will work with.
Unlike Phil, Dion demonstrates a decent work ethic & character.
Many here think he is not captain material. While I'm not sure he is a stalwart leader I don't see anyone else at this time ready to assume that role with the Leafs.
At least in the short term, I believe DP stays with the Leafs.

Not this again. How do people know anything about Kessel's character at all? He actually seems like a pretty nice guy and good team mate (unless taking a bullet from the media for your captain isn't a good demonstration of character). No offence , but it just drives me crazy when people present their opinion that Kessel has bad character as fact without having any way of knowing or proving that.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Not this again. How do people know anything about Kessel's character at all? He actually seems like a pretty nice guy and good team mate (unless taking a bullet from the media for your captain isn't a good demonstration of character). No offence , but it just drives me crazy when people present their opinion that Kessel has bad character as fact without having any way of knowing or proving that.

I have eyes, his work ethic is horrible.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Hey can you please post a source to this? If Phaneuf goes to Oilers then I see the team going to second round in the playoffs...

You don't need a source. Its been a boring rumor over the past 6 months. Along with Kessel to..... about every damn team in the league.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
I. Didn't talk about his work ethic, I mentioned character.

???
IMO a player paid his kind of dough yet seeming only goes through the motions with little or no compete lacks character. He doesn't know the meaning of digging deep or self sacrifice.
I'm not speaking about his personality.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I actually think Sekera could get 6-6.5 AAV in free agency, which makes Phaneuf look like a great contract in comparison

Mar 26, 2010
Get this useless 4th string pylon the **** out of here.

Phaneuf has to go Now!

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Deadline deal.

Babs has a season to work his system - see if Dions thrives in it. We need his shot from the point - without Franson our PP suffered.

Weird thing is I think Phil wanted to stay in T.O. and I think Phaneuf wanted out badly - looks like it's gonna be the other way round.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Unlike Kessel who at least produces at a high rate, Dion's production has been faltering and obviously toronto media eats him up.

this may very well be a kind of thing where it's better to keep him. Unless you get a 1st+good prospect offer then you let him go, but I think with his contract, people want the guy at max 6 million, not 7 and that hurts his value.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Rumor flying now Phaneuf may be going home to EDM.. probably not much in return though

I would expect their first in that deal, they would become quite a competitive team adding him.

right now they are on the edge, alot of things have to pan out, Sekera is the only true guarentee here, Reinhart and Gryba aren't going to give them what they need and Talbot is a toss-up.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Now that Sekera is gone, Phaneuf to LA makes a lot of sense.

Buffalo, Dallas, Edmonton, Boston could be in the mix too.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I bet at least one of Phaneuf, Lupul and Bozak will get moved this month. Phaneuf has the highest value. Most NHL teams always believe they have internal solutions at forward. Most NHL teams believe their defense isn't good enough.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The common perception is that he is difficult to move now, but the hope is that Babcock could salvage some of his value when he gets his hands on him next season. The fact that he's a stiff on skates is going to be a tough task for Babs though.
Despite Detroit being a team full of skaters, it wasn't really a skating team. Babcock's system does ****** speed. The formation of plays is going to be a lot slower than what we're used to. It's more controlled, tight, and involves continuous forechecking. Dion lack of mobility should be a lot less noticeable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad