All purpose PHANEUF trade rumour thread

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
First of all I wonder if not Shanny and Babcock like his him. He got that old-school vibe over him that I think they appreciate. And a defenseman s not really old at his age either and he could very well play a part in the rebuild, even do overpaid.

But I would not mind if he was moved. I reckon Oilers still feel they need a defenseman that contributes and can play a big role at once. And was not PC interested in Dion when he was managing Boston? I seem to recall a couple of rumours.
LA Kings have been interested as well?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
From what I've read and everything, I believe that the plan is simple:

They have set a price on Phaneuf which I believe is a high 1st / good prospect. They are refusing to retain ANY $ (but will take a short term bad contract back).

They truly believe (right or wrong, this is where the opinions come in) - that eventually, a team will meet that price, but in the meantime they are in absolutely no rush to deal him. They feel that Babcock will be able to make Dion look a lot better than he has the past while, that his system will accentuate Dion's strengths, and that whether it's this summer, trade deadline, or next summer - eventually a team will be willing to pay the price. They are not actively 'shopping him', but have let teams know the price, and are waiting.

As others have mentioned - Dion does work hard, and while I think he'll be gone at some point - I do agree that there is absolutely no urgency to move him.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

They have set a price on Phaneuf which I believe is a high 1st / good prospect. They are refusing to retain ANY $ (but will take a short term bad contract back).

They truly believe (right or wrong, this is where the opinions come in) - that eventually, a team will meet that price, but in the meantime they are in absolutely no rush to deal him. They feel that Babcock will be able to make Dion look a lot better than he has the past while, that his system will accentuate Dion's strengths, and that whether it's this summer, trade deadline, or next summer - eventually a team will be willing to pay the price. They are not actively 'shopping him', but have let teams know the price, and are waiting.

As others have mentioned - Dion does work hard, and while I think he'll be gone at some point - I do agree that there is absolutely no urgency to move him.

Exactly.
I would be shocked if by the Centennial, Dion is here. I think he'll be moved by Deadline day/Draft.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
First of all I wonder if not Shanny and Babcock like his him. He got that old-school vibe over him that I think they appreciate. And a defenseman s not really old at his age either and he could very well play a part in the rebuild, even do overpaid.

But I would not mind if he was moved. I reckon Oilers still feel they need a defenseman that contributes and can play a big role at once. And was not PC interested in Dion when he was managing Boston? I seem to recall a couple of rumours.
LA Kings have been interested as well?

Dallas too. Someone suggested Oleksiak + Jokipakka + 2nd, no retention. Two pretty beefy guys with some nice upside.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Then Babcock is going blind with age

I wont lose sleep if we trade Dion, but to me he at least tries. Unlike the Cookie Monster, Dion seemed to have a strong work ethic. He just makes poor decisions at times. That is easier to correct with good coaching.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The defence hasn't improved on paper yet. Maybe team defence might improve a bit with the coaching change, but really Phaneuf is just going to get more and more exposed over time.

Rielly, Gardiner, Phaneuf & Polak in the top 4 is still an awful idea. Not 1 of those guys are a #1 (yet) and all are suited to be in a lower support role.

The Leafs need to do a better job of setting up their line-up.

Keep Rielly as a #3 guy this year for another full year of development. Give him increased minutes, but against the other teams 2nd line. I thought he worked well with Polak and I'm more than okay with Polak staying there for a while. The guy broke his jaw and came back to play. Regardless of talent, I want that guy around the club.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
How about doing a hockey trade ? Dion Phaneuf to St Louis for Paul Stasny or to La for Dustin Brown ?

Need to get younger if you're doing an NHL trade.

I'd do it for Alex Goligoski from Dallas or Cam Fowler from Anaheim.

I understand that contract is a big element of making a trade nowadays, but I think that hitting the mark with bringing in the right guys is a huge deal.

I'd also consider a guy like Jay Bouwmeester. He reminds me of the typical defenceman that Babcock has had on his team. The Kronwall's, Quincey's & Ericsson's of the world that can go and retrieve the puck and skate it up the ice a bit.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
It's pointless to keep him now, if you can really get a good prospect and a pick in the first two rounds with[ not retention you do ASAP.

I think if the Leafs were offered that, they would drive him to the airport. The D market is fluctuating, and the Leafs will just wait until a team gets desperate enough to pay the price.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
All's quiet, it seems.

My opinion: Either Babcock wants him, or Leafs management are still a little sore from what it took to move Kessel that they don't even want to think about what Dion will return.

Teams seem extremely cap conscious this year, leading to some interestingly odd trades.

I think management was determined to make a major change and that's why they accepted a lower return for Kessel. I think they've now sufficiently altered the makeup of the team (for now) so they'll only move him if they get what they consider a fair return. If not, IMO he's back next year.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I wont lose sleep if we trade Dion, but to me he at least tries. Unlike the Cookie Monster, Dion seemed to have a strong work ethic. He just makes poor decisions at times. That is easier to correct with good coaching.

No it isn't but a better coach might be able to get Phanny to play to his strengths instead of trying to morph into whatever it is he's trying to morph into.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009

Yeah pretty much this.

I would hope they want to trade him but only if they get what they deem is fair return. If not; they won't be held to gun point because they realize they do have leverage in this, which is regardless of wanting to trade him, he won't be a problem if he stays.

Right or wrong, Leafs got fleeced a bit in Kessel trade. LAST thing they want is for rest of GM's to think they can walk over this management or break them.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Phaneuf will guaranteed be bought out of his contract in the next 2-3 years. Either by us or someone stupid enough to take him.

So help me god if he returns wearing the C..

They don't give out Stanley Cups for trying. Good God.....could you imagine what he'd look like being lazy if he's actually been trying the past 2 years?

He'd be cut from a Timbits team

Let me guess:

Glazed chocolate timbits - best thing ever
Sour cream timbits - most vile abomination ever

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I agree with this, basically. Two things that may increase my urgency to move him. I don't want him eating up the icetime of the younger kids, if he stays for now, reduce his ice by 20%. The whole Captain/leadership thing is an albatross around the neck & can't continue for a prolonged period.

Removing Kessel was the first big step, Phaneuf is still another required step.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Yeah pretty much this.

I would hope they want to trade him but only if they get what they deem is fair return. If not; they won't be held to gun point because they realize they do have leverage in this, which is regardless of wanting to trade him, he won't be a problem if he stays.

Right or wrong, Leafs got fleeced a bit in Kessel trade. LAST thing they want is for rest of GM's to think they can walk over this management or break them.

From what I have been hearing from various managements & insiders is Leafs did very well given all the limitations of Kessel's contract.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
From what I have been hearing from various managements & insiders is Leafs did very well given all the limitations of Kessel's contract.

mhmhm.
that's what I keep hearing too.

hope that Phaneuf can go soon too.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yeah. Not that I hate him or anything but trading Phaneuf is needed for future assets and long term cap flexibility.

I wouldn't say I hate Phaneuf either. But I want him gone more than any player (even Kessel) because he's the captain of the 18-wheeler and you want to change the culture, you get rid of him and let new leadership develop.

But as a player, he's fine and frankly I'm not sure he's really overpaid by much. Hope he has a good season so he can be easily moved for a decent return.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Or maybe Babcock likes him

Certainly explains how Detroit immediately lost interest the minute Babcock landed in Toronto.

In hindsight, it certainly smells like Holland making a move to placate him. They just weren't about to give up the farm for someone like Phaneuf and knew they had a successor for Babcock if he decided to leave this offseason. If he opted to decline the huge payday, I think Phaneuf is traded to Detroit.

I'd say Toronto is stuck with Phaneuf for the time being.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Phaneuf just needs a better defensive partner. Either Rielly or Gardiner.

Last year he was stuck with Franson for most of the season.

Prior to that, he was with a developing a Gunnarsson. I like Gunnar, but he's not a top pairing guy... especially not when we had him.

Before that he was with guys like Kostka and Holzer when they were even worse than they are today.

I think Phaneuf has managed to make all his partners looks a heck of a lot better than they really are.

I'd like to see how he does with another top end talent, playing for 25 minutes a night.

So I'm a fan of Phaneuf. Hope we give him some more support next year and have a legit top pairing.

Hogzilla

Mar 5, 2014
St. Catharines, Ont
Doesn't make sense to keep him. He's 30 now and by the time th rebuild takes shape and we're reasonably competitive, he'll likely be 35... Why keep the captain around at this point? Out with the old, in with the new. Trade him for future assets sometime this year.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
^^

this. Dion has got to go, do not want to be seeing him in a Leaf uni this season.

and yes makes almost no sense to keep him. I doubt very highly Babs will increase his value that much that it will be worth having him around in the same way the team 'needed' to move Kessel along.

hopefully someone comes along and meets our asking price but will be tough he has warts to his game and a big cap hit with term. As we seen with Kessel it will devalue him somewhat as it's a partial favour to us to take Dion and his salary off our hands..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad