All purpose PHANEUF trade rumour thread

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
At the end of the day, Phaneuf is the best defenceman available this offseason, except for Hamilton apparently.

If a team wants to add a top pairing defenseman and try to contend, they'll be willing to look past the cost of acquisition and cap hit.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
The common perception is that he is difficult to move now, but the hope is that Babcock could salvage some of his value when he gets his hands on him next season. The fact that he's a stiff on skates is going to be a tough task for Babs though.

Listen... Babcock is a good coach but isn't some special miracle worker especially on a 30 year old guy like Phaneuf. Phaneuf is slow.

I think the biggest issue with me is he is NOT a leader. Do you guys remember this hit on JVR? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkCR0cI12E

Phaneuf lacked any sort of emotion towards that hit, sure he said 1 2 words, but initially didn't aid him, didn't bother to yell help at the ref. Phaneuf is a knuckle head.

Also the whole salute gate crap???? As a Captain of TML you NEVER stiff the fans, SUNDIN would NEVER in a million years come to a conclusion to stiff fans no matter what. Time to get rid of these LOSERS, just like Shanahan said, we need to change this Losing(loser) culture here.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Listen... Babcock is a good coach but isn't some special miracle worker especially on a 30 year old guy like Phaneuf. Phaneuf is slow.

I think the biggest issue with me is he is NOT a leader. Do you guys remember this hit on JVR? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkCR0cI12E

Phaneuf lacked any sort of emotion towards that hit, sure he said 1 2 words, but initially didn't aid him, didn't bother to yell help at the ref. Phaneuf is a knuckle head.

Also the whole salute gate crap???? As a Captain of TML you NEVER stiff the fans, SUNDIN would NEVER in a million years come to a conclusion to stiff fans no matter what. Time to get rid of these LOSERS, just like Shanahan said, we need to change this Losing(loser) culture here.
That doesn't discount the fact that Dion was actually invested in Horachek's tighter, 5-5-5 system. Seeing that it's started by the typical Leafs jingo, it's no surprising that we're focusing on Dion. In simple words, we collapsed when our top line went out of business.

There is no way in hell we're keeping that entire top line. If Kessel is kept, I am pretty sure his partners are out. You cannot be fielding a line that is so ill disciplined in the defensive zone. In fact, that line was not willing to forecheck hard either which explains why Horachek had to drop Kessel down to the bottom lines at times.

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB

I seem to remember Mats squashing a trade back in 2008 that would have benefited the team, just think where/what those assets could be today?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
That doesn't discount the fact that Dion was actually invested in Horachek's tighter, 5-5-5 system. Seeing that it's started by the typical Leafs jingo, it's no surprising that we're focusing on Dion. In simple words, we collapsed when our top line went out of business.

The whole team invested in Horachek's system, then they couldn't score. Defensive zone coverage was still piss-poor though, so they mailed it in.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The value is pretty simple. Phaneuf for a mid to late first, in 2016 or 2017.

On the trade boards, some Buffalo fans were saying that they'd trade their 2017 1st + for him.

Don't think Detroit is interested anymore.

Dallas and Philadelphia are two other likely locations. Flyers likely send MacDonald back, which means they need to pay more.

BUF'S first in'17 would be great. I bet they pull a COL and have an OK year this year and **** the bed the following.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Hopefully someone can answer this:

What has Babcock said to make people think he wants Dion on the team?

The only thing I remember him saying (because he was asked straight up in his hiring day presser) is "I'm a fan of Dion's. He's a good kid". That's the only direct words he's said about him as far as I know. I haven't read or heard Babcock talking more directly about Dion regarding him potentially still being a Maple Leaf and captain.

He did say ""I think you have to help your captain do things right," but this was worded in a way that he wasn't necessarily talking about Dion in any way.

I'm just wondering if there were any interviews after his initial presser where he directly spoke about Phaneuf in relation to the Leafs next season?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

The only thing I remember him saying (because he was asked straight up in his hiring day presser) is "I'm a fan of Dion's. He's a good kid". That's the only direct words he's said about him as far as I know. I haven't read or heard Babcock talking more directly about Dion regarding him potentially still being a Maple Leaf and captain.

He did say ""I think you have to help your captain do things right," but this was worded in a way that he wasn't necessarily talking about Dion in any way.

I'm just wondering if there were any interviews after his initial presser where he directly spoke about Phaneuf in relation to the Leafs next season?

nothing, really. but because media members are saying that they are not hearing his name + the fact that Detroit tried to get Dion at deadline day people are assuming that this means Babcock of course would like to keep him.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I'm thinking it may have more to do with his potential trade to Detroit. Coaches do not make trades, but I think it's safe to say there was zero chance Detroit was going to add DP without Babcock's endorsement at a time when they were still thinking he was returning. That's a prohibitive and pointless contract to take on unless you think the player is a potential building block. It doesn't mean Babcock was in love with the guy, but it strongly suggests he thought Dion was a useful player to have around for a few years.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I'm thinking it may have more to do with his potential trade to Detroit. Coaches do not make trades, but I think it's safe to say there was zero chance Detroit was going to add DP without Babcock's endorsement at a time when they were still thinking he was returning. That's a prohibitive and pointless contract to take on unless you think the player is a potential building block. It doesn't mean Babcock was in love with the guy, but it strongly suggests he thought Dion was a useful player to have around for a few years.

Yeah but now we're talking about bringing Phaneuf into a respectable organization (Detroit interest), where he wouldn't be the captain.

I think Babcock thinks he can work with Dion, but that doesn't mean he wants to do that with this team.

That quote of his "I think you have to help your captain do things right," was a really broad, philosophical thing to say. He's never really talked about Phaneuf and that to me says quite a bit. That quote makes it sound like he wants to work with and help Dion, but if you think about it a little more he's acknowledging that the captain of this team needs work and needs help, and the previous regime didn't address that and now it's a problem. Doesn't mean he's interested in dealing with it now, but just that he would have handled it differently.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
nothing, really. but because media members are saying that they are not hearing his name + the fact that Detroit tried to get Dion at deadline day people are assuming that this means Babcock of course would like to keep him.

Defense is a much more demanding position on young players than RW. (See Oilers)
For that reason alone I could see Phaneuf retained.
as far as competition for RW goes:
Panik
Lupul
Hyman
Soshnikov
Frattin
Bailey
Leivo
UFAs
Up and down the lineup vs. having an Erixon/Marincin/Percy/Brennan in a top 4 role with Gardiner/Rielly.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
If Dion isn't traded shortly after UFA day then he isn't going anywhere until trade deadline day if that.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The whole team invested in Horachek's system, then they couldn't score. Defensive zone coverage was still piss-poor though, so they mailed it in.
Our top line didn't invest in that system. That is why opposing coaches were isolating the top lines. Neither wingers were playing a consistent role around the boards while Bozak does a terrible job preserving possession. It's amazing that he can be a centre while some consider it an impossibility for Marner or Nylander.

While every other line was playing a possession game, the top line simply mailed it in right around the beginning of Horachek's regime. Since we depend so heavily on the top line, our playoff hopes were ruined.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Best and somewhat likely destinations are Edmonton and Dallas, two western conference teams that need a solid vet at the #2 or 3 spot on D. I actually disagree with many here...I think he'll return very good value, especially if we take on a cap dump or retain a bit of salary.

He's likely to be dealt late summer, but I think there's an outside chance he stays, at least until next deadline.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Its barely stomachable the thought of it but I do have to agree. Should be stripped of the captaincy upon his return however, what management sees in him in terms of leadership qualities I have no idea.

Perhaps you should write them a letter and let them know.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
phaneuf is more valuable than all the ufa d combined.

100+ hits, 100+ blocks, 100+ shots, usually a lock for 20+ powerplay points over 82 games...phaneuf gives an edge to any contender. our team D is just horrible and phaneuf is over-utilized, thus mistakes pile up and all those fancy-smancy stats are ugly to look at. He will strive in a good system with better team mates that can actually play that system, give effort and don't get owned on possession 90 percent of the game.

you will see this when we get rid of him and realize we can't find a replacement of his type unless we draft one ourselves.

If he is not traded for an acceptable package (which he should be, only because this team won't be competing for a couple of years and need the assets) , I have no problem with rielly-phaneuf going forward as the first pairing. If we're ready in three years to run and gun, Phaneuf will make a solid second pairing d-man to stabilize the unit. Our management is smart enough to make the cap work around that time.

I have faith that management sees things this way as well, which is why they remain calm and level headed and wait for a package that interests them greatly.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
phaneuf is more valuable than all the ufa d combined.

100+ hits, 100+ blocks, 100+ shots, usually a lock for 20+ powerplay points over 82 games...phaneuf gives an edge to any contender. our team D is just horrible and phaneuf is over-utilized, thus mistakes pile up and all those fancy-smancy stats are ugly to look at. He will strive in a good system with better team mates that can actually play that system, give effort and don't get owned on possession 90 percent of the game.

you will see this when we get rid of him and realize we can't find a replacement of his type unless we draft one ourselves.

If he is not traded for an acceptable package (which he should be, only because this team won't be competing for a couple of years and need the assets) , I have no problem with rielly-phaneuf going forward as the first pairing. If we're ready in three years to run and gun, Phaneuf will make a solid second pairing d-man to stabilize the unit. Our management is smart enough to make the cap work around that time.

I have faith that management sees things this way as well, which is why they remain calm and level headed and wait for a package that interests them greatly.

It's not so much that Phaneuf is useless, the issue lies in his salary and the longevity of his career based on his style of play

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I still think that Phaneuf is a #1 Defender.

I'd be happy to keep him on the team for the term of his contract.

Kessel on the other hand...

Your thinking needs an adjustment. ;)

Phaneuf would make a great #3, and a good #2. As a #1, he fails hard! JMHO.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Phaneuf either gets traded in the month of July when his value will be at its peak verses the likes that are available as UFA's or he will stay until deadline. Phaneuf at 7 million will look like a steal compared to what dmen like Franson and Green will get in UFA market. Both Franson and Green will get north of 5.5 million per season. And both dmen are not better the Phaneuf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad