Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | This wasn't what I meant by a balanced defense ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The problem is Johnson hasn't really had a stretch of games where he's proven anyone wrong about him. It's not like the media (and some segment of the fanbase) being too hard on Murray after a rough start. That I can understand coming out in his defense, because Murray's actually proven those people wrong on multiple occasions. But Johnson's essentially been as bad as the "hate" said he'd be.

His run of games when Pettersson came over were perfectly solid and his numbers improved steadily. He's been asked to play over his head in terms of D zone starts and probably in ice time (closer to 2nd pair than 3rd pair minutes), and on his off-side. And we've been without Schultz all year, and that hurts the pairings.

At a certain point, we're talking about the contract being too rich for a bottom pair vet guy by a million bucks or whatever amount. but given his historic performance in the playoffs, and the how they call the games that time of year, the jury is still out on the signing from my perspective.

But so far, I really don't have an issue with him as a bottom pair physical defender who can play on a 2nd pair in spots with a puck mover. Teams sure have paid a whole lot more for guys who only bring physical play.

There's just a lot of dramatics and hyperbole on here about JJ when it's really not the end of the world that he's paid 1.2 million too much, or whatever. In FA, that's what you get.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Its true he had a good stretch with Petterson.

But he's generally ranged from fairly to really bad. The issue isn't that he's a bit overpaid, its that he's here at all. And that's not hyperbole.
Yep. We would be a better team with dead cap space than with Jack Johnson. He's worse than a guy watching from the press box. Two when we're healthy.

Reactions: JackFr

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Its true he had a good stretch with Petterson.

But he's generally ranged from fairly to really bad. The issue isn't that he's a bit overpaid, its that he's here at all. And that's not hyperbole.

Like.. every team has a Chad Ruhwedel, and JJ makes him look really good

Reactions: td_ice

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
His run of games when Pettersson came over were perfectly solid and his numbers improved steadily. He's been asked to play over his head in terms of D zone starts and probably in ice time (closer to 2nd pair than 3rd pair minutes), and on his off-side. And we've been without Schultz all year, and that hurts the pairings.

At a certain point, we're talking about the contract being too rich for a bottom pair vet guy by a million bucks or whatever amount. but given his historic performance in the playoffs, and the how they call the games that time of year, the jury is still out on the signing from my perspective.

But so far, I really don't have an issue with him as a bottom pair physical defender who can play on a 2nd pair in spots with a puck mover. Teams sure have paid a whole lot more for guys who only bring physical play.

There's just a lot of dramatics and hyperbole on here about JJ when it's really not the end of the world that he's paid 1.2 million too much, or whatever. In FA, that's what you get.

If only his minutes reflected that of a bottom pairing defender ...

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It is great to see Shero’s team struggle so much this season. Maybe more people will realize he’s a fraud and accidentally stumbled into a cup here.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
Said it before but JJ is going to turn heads come playoffs. Have not been impressed with him to this point, but I just have this feeling that him being paired with Schultz and on his natural side is going to change things a bit for the better. And getting a shot at the post season on a legit team because of his buddy Crosby is going to elevate his desire to put it all together. I could completely be wrong, but I just have a good hunch that this is going to be some Cinderella story for the guy. He has to appreciate the favor called in by Sid on a human level that we just cant fathom. Optimistic thought of the year right here.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I suppose it's possible that JJ has something to give in the playoffs. Even if it's literally one play. See: Late Stage Kunitz, 2017

That's about the extent of my JJ related optimism. Those JR quotes about him yesterday were just brutal to read. Totally out to lunch.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
I suppose it's possible that JJ has something to give in the playoffs. Even if it's literally one play. See: Late Stage Kunitz, 2017

That's about the extent of my JJ related optimism. Those JR quotes about him yesterday were just brutal to read. Totally out to lunch.
Those quotes will be like a magic undoing spell by JR. JJ will turn from a frog to a prince.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
You were all too mean to Ruh. Expecting offence and glamour from him is dumb. He is a rock solid bottom pairing defensive defenceman, and he's been a beast at preventing chances against this year. I would be perfectly happy with our defence if he was there instead of Johnson night in night out.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Here's my JJ related optimism.

In the first 24 games after Sid came back from injury, JJ had a positive goal differential at 5v5. If he can just find that run of form/luck again... he won't hurt us. Hopefully.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Pearson and Simon! UGHHhhjjkkkkerrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhh

Teddy Blooper put a puck in his own net and Sully is NOT gonna let him live that down. Not when he could be forcing Pearson and Simon into the lineup instead.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Teddy Blooper put a puck in his own net and Sully is NOT gonna let him live that down. Not when he could be forcing Pearson and Simon into the lineup instead.

Pearson and Simon were also both really good last game, so I don't really think it's "forcing Pearson and SImon into the lineup".

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pearson and Simon were also both really good last game, so I don't really think it's "forcing Pearson and SImon into the lineup".

We make a little too much of 4th lines anyway, but when it comes to playing guys with decent NHL track records and decent last games, I think its got a little out of control...

And yes, I'm being a tad hypocritical here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad