Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | This wasn't what I meant by a balanced defense ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
De Smith has been pretty solid against NJD this year...he replaced Murray after he laid an egg in the first meeting and had a .917 save % and then. .913 save % the second game...he wasn’t the reason the team lost...that being said, the stats show Murray has been better on the road this season, so he probably will start...

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I didnt realize that Cullen is 22nd in games played all time. By the end of the season he should be 19th. Currently hes sandwiched between Modano, Housley and Gretzky, Brind'Amour. That is some next level company. Its pretty incredible hes played so long. That top 25 is filled with hall of famers and then theres Cullen.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I didnt realize that Cullen is 22nd in games played all time. By the end of the season he should be 19th. Currently hes sandwiched between Modano, Housley and Gretzky, Brind'Amour. That is some next level company. Its pretty incredible hes played so long. That top 25 is filled with hall of famers and then theres Cullen.
I read that as, 'the top 25 is cullen and those other guys' =P

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Looks like Teddy and Wilson sit for Pearson and Simon.

But, Sully only likes grinders!?!

Pearson, Pearson, baby . . .

tenor.gif

Maybe Sully is a closet Vanilla Ice fan?

Reactions: BHD and pixiesfanyo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Looks like Teddy and Wilson sit for Pearson and Simon.

But, Sully only likes grinders!?!

I don't get the Simon in, Blueger out thing. I don't recall Simon doing anything the last game that warranted playing ahead of a guy who has been more good than bad in his 10 game trial.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I don't get the Simon in, Blueger out thing. I don't recall Simon doing anything the last game that warranted playing ahead of a guy who has been more good than bad in his 10 game trial.

Simon definitely had more jump than he had before his scratch but still don't think there was much between them. I wonder if they're showcasing Simon in case they move him at the deadline, though personally I'd keep him given how cheap his contract is.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Simon definitely had more jump than he had before his scratch but still don't think there was much between them. I wonder if they're showcasing Simon in case they move him at the deadline, though personally I'd keep him given how cheap his contract is.

IMO, Blueger is just a better fit if they're going to be used as bottom six forwards. Simon's only use is if he's on Sid's line. If he's going to be used as the 3rd or 4th line winger, I'd rather have Blueger in that spot because he's much more defensively capable, while bringing similar offense.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Brb gonna go hide in the bomb shelter :laugh:

JR is right that Johnson has never gotten a chance from the fans from the beginning, but his play this year has been more in line with what fans have said than what JR thinks of Johnson. I think it's pretty clear that JR and Sullivan don't view Johnson to be a problem like fans do.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
JR is right that Johnson has never gotten a chance from the fans from the beginning, but his play this year has been more in line with what fans have said than what JR thinks of Johnson. I think it's pretty clear that JR and Sullivan don't view Johnson to be a problem like fans do.

I don't have a problem with them defending JJ to the media. You don't throw your guys under the bus to the media.

But if this is truly what JR thinks, that scares me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

As I noted elsewhere, I'm not sure that Sully doesn't view JMFJ as a problem.

At the same time, with JR being all-in on JMFJ, to the point that he dogged Sully's semi-mentor scratching him last year, Sully is in a no win position. Play JMFJ, and he's got a problem. Bench him in favor of Riikola or the like AND LOSE, and he's got a bigger problem.

Reactions: Turin

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I highly doubt Sullivan is in danger of losing his job if he scratches Johnson.

And I doubt this is all JR. JR isn't telling him to play him with Schultz. He could be playing Pettersson in that spot and largely using JJ in sheltered situations at ES. In other words, using him appropriately even if he's trying to do JR a favor.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

plain and simple, fan reception of a player or trade should not even be the GM’s mind. this is extremely upsetting and worrying, that jr isn’t interested in discussing the player’s stats and performance and instead what the fans have to say... fans who ultimately are right btw

Reactions: treeni12

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Does JR actually explain why he thinks the fans are wrong to pile on Johnson (ie. does he actually bring forth compelling evidence that we're not seeing)? Or is it more along the lines of "fans are wrong because I said so?"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Does JR actually explain why he thinks the fans are wrong to pile on Johnson (ie. does he actually bring forth compelling evidence that we're not seeing)? Or is it more along the lines of "fans are wrong because I said so?"

He just said he has been fine this year. I think that rant was more so how hard fans and the media have been on Johnson ever since getting here than saying Johnson has been amazing.

Like I said in this thread and the other thread, I have problems with JR being satisfied with his play this year, but I agree with him that Johnson was never given a chance here by fans or media. The problem is that he has been closer to what the fans said about him than what JR said about him when he signed here.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
plain and simple, fan reception of a player or trade should not even be the GM’s mind. this is extremely upsetting and worrying, that jr isn’t interested in discussing the player’s stats and performance and instead what the fans have to say... fans who ultimately are right btw

I think hes more concerned about the person (Jack Johnson) and that hes being treated unfairly, not that he cares the fans dont like his move.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He just said he has been fine this year. I think that rant was more so how hard fans and the media have been on Johnson ever since getting here than saying Johnson has been amazing.

Like I said in this thread and the other thread, I have problems with JR being satisfied with his play this year, but I agree with him that Johnson was never given a chance here by fans or media. The problem is that he has been closer to what the fans said about him than what JR said about him when he signed here.

The problem is Johnson hasn't really had a stretch of games where he's proven anyone wrong about him. It's not like the media (and some segment of the fanbase) being too hard on Murray after a rough start. That I can understand coming out in his defense, because Murray's actually proven those people wrong on multiple occasions. But Johnson's essentially been as bad as the "hate" said he'd be.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The problem is Johnson hasn't really had a stretch of games where he's proven anyone wrong about him. It's not like the media (and some segment of the fanbase) being too hard on Murray after a rough start. That I can understand coming out in his defense, because Murray's actually proven those people wrong on multiple occasions. But Johnson's essentially been as bad as the "hate" said he'd be.

I just find it really weird to defend Johnson that much right now, regardless of how bad you think he has been, he hasn't been good here. He hasn't been the player that JR advertised him to be, so whether you think he has been a meh bottom pair defenseman or literally skating cancer doesn't make much of a difference. I just don't get how JR can be satisfied with his play this year, it's fine for him to think that the media and fans have been overkill on him, but it doesn't make sense for JR to be satisfied with what he has done.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Our division has 5 teams in the top half of the table (by p%) and only one time below .500 ppg. It's arguably the best in the league right now; certainly the most competitive.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad