Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | This wasn't what I meant by a balanced defense ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
EDIT: All that said and with Empo's followup in mind (well done) -- not gonna make or break em.

The way I look at it is that an AHLer playing well will probably help you win more than a 3rd liner playing poorly. When Wilson is playing well, I really don't see any reason to complain about him being in over depth players who are playing poorly. Now if you're scratching Rust for Wilson? That's a problem, but I don't see any chance of that happening.

It seems like Sullivan kinda operates with the same thought. He won't scratch Hornqvist no matter how poorly he plays, but that's because a struggling Hornqvist helps you more than Wilson playing well. But Pearson or Simon? Simon actively hurts you when he's not playing well and Pearson is just there.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No. I mean Wilson deserves to play over Pearson and Simon’s level of play the last few games.

Yeah but since when is this a meritocracy what with your boy JJ taking a shift, still?

Like I said, it won't make or break them I don't think. I just haven't gotten to piss and moan about stuff for a while. Cut me a break.

Dear god but Pearson has been trash. And I had such high hopes for him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Really just have to hope for the best in the D department but atleast theres some guys in there to support the offense more in the OZ and smartly move the puck even if it's just a tinge better in the DZ/NZ with the 2 righties Ruh and Schultz

Ruh certainly deserves another game and JJ was never gonna sit initially.

Don't really have a problem with sitting Pearson for a game or 2 since ZAR is back. Wilson has been doing...ok on the 4th line.

I think or atleast i'm hoping theres a tangible change in putting teams back on their heels more vs bleeding shots. Even if it's just a little nudge in the right direction with more OZ time/more HD shots for can make a big difference for this club cuz they have the fire power to bury those chances.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yeah I see no difference between Pearson and Wilson on the 4th line. Both are kinda there, and I would argue that Wilson brings more heart, so he can play. I like that this is sending a message to Pearson too, at least we know they realize that we need to dump that contract rather than overrate that player. Pearson does nothing, no problem with benching him. Just another Sheahan/Spaling but only making more money. Hopefully he is gone in the summer. Now playing JJ on 2nd pair is a bigger problem. Not only he is gonna play, he is gonna log some big minutes, even with Schultz back. That´s bad.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Errrr noooooohhhh. Buffalo just got to within 1 near the end of the 2nd. Carolina is up 2-1 near end of the 2nd.

That is NOT good if Carolina wins same with Buffalo.

That makes tomorrows game super important and even Sunday against the Rangers. Penguins have no room for a snide here and have to go toe to toe with wins against the standing climbers.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah but since when is this a meritocracy what with your boy JJ taking a shift, still?

Like I said, it won't make or break them I don't think. I just haven't gotten to piss and moan about stuff for a while. Cut me a break.

Dear god but Pearson has been trash. And I had such high hopes for him.

Pearson came in and looked like he was made for Pens hockey. I am convinced that player is still there if you give him good deployments after the injury and the Brass thing, but realistically our depth is such that can only be earned, not gifted... and that's exactly how we'd want it to be fair. And he hasn't. If there's one big positive for Wilson, he plays like every NHL game could be his last. Ditto Bloog. How many of our guy with tenure bring that? Horny? Sometimes Rust?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Pearson came in and looked like he was made for Pens hockey. I am convinced that player is still there if you give him good deployments after the injury and the Brass thing

"Trash" is a bit strong but he's been pretty disappointing. I agree that he could realistically improve, though. It's not as if he was given his now-rather-ominous-looking contract for nothing.

Reactions: Peat

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I honestly don’t mind Pearson as much as many around here.

Me either. He isn't a barnburner, but I think being on the west coast has allowed us to watch him play and hear his name more often than most. I think he is a fine enough bottom 6 who can flirt with 2nd line duty, maybe. Which is exactly what he has been with the Pens.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pearson is fine and a pretty good player when he’s on. Kings fans said he would ghost it a ton so, can’t say they were wrong.

Even when people declared JR the victor in this trade way too early on, it wasn’t difficult to tell Pearson had the kind of game that could make him invisible eventually.

The problem is they have a bunch of these guys in their bottom six who can’t create anything on their own - Pearson, Hornqvist, Wilson and ZAR.

It should ideally be just a couple guys like this, but Pearson won’t be sitting forever and Wilson and ZAR are coaching staff folk heroes so, I dunno...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Pearson is fine and a pretty good player when he’s on. Kings fans said he would ghost it a ton so, can’t say they were wrong.

The problem is they have a bunch of these guys in their bottom six who can’t create anything on their own - Pearson, Hornqvist, Wilson and ZAR.

It should ideally be just a couple guys like this, but Pearson won’t be sitting forever so, I dunno...

As long as its just a few games off to reset to get things going again then fine. But I can see Sullivan continue to favor Wilson. No doubt he would be in there over Blueger if Teddy didnt get his chance due to injury and then Malkin getting suspended. And Teddy forcing his way into the lineup(sully couldn't justify sitting him this time). Blueger would be back in WBS . Yet Wilson can do no wrong according to Sullivan.

Give me talent over what Wilson brings.

Pearson hasnt done much yet but he is a guy who can score those timely goals in the playoffs which we were lacking last year. You wont see that from Wilson. Who doesn't have Pearson's shot.

Im fine with it right now(as long as its not for a long stretch) but Pearson better be in there over him come playoff time. We already dealt with this with Bylsma...needing the 4th line to be Adams..Glass..types. Now here comes Sullivan..

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As long as its just a few games off to reset to get things going again then fine. But I can see Sullivan continue to favor Wilson. No doubt he would be in there over Blueger if Teddy didnt get his chance due to injury and then Malkin getting suspended. Blueger would be back in WBS . Yet Wilson can do no wrong according to Sullivan.

Give me talent over what Wilson brings.

Pearson hasnt done much yet but he is a guy who can score those timely goals in the playoffs which we were lacking last year. You wont see that from Wilson. Who doesn't have Pearson's shot.

Im fine with it right now(as long as its not for a long stretch) but Pearson better be in there over him come playoff time. We already dealt with this with Bylsma...needing the 4th line to be Adams..Glass..types. Now here comes Sullivan..

If this wasn’t bizarro gritty world, Wilson sits soon and Pearson is back in. Pearson is way more likely to score goals and be productive in a fourth line role than Wilson.

My concern is the two guys being HS right now are not going to remain that way for long, which is logical, but someone will have to swap nacho trays with them and I suspect it will be TB first in line instead of ZAR and Wilson.

TB will have to stay productive or Sullivan will use it as an excuse to sit him, whereas the other two have magical intangibles that keep them in the lineup despite production.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If this wasn’t bizarro gritty world, Wilson sits soon and Pearson is back in. Pearson is way more likely to score goals and be productive in a fourth line role than Wilson.

My concern is the two guys being HS right now are not going to remain that way for long, which is logical, but someone will have to swap nacho trays with them and I suspect it will be TB first in line instead of ZAR and Wilson.

TB will have to stay productive or Sullivan will use it as an excuse to sit him, whereas the other two have magical intangibles that keep them in the lineup despite production.

Thats exactly my complaint. I have no problem with them scratching guys here and there to get them going...but I dont think this is that.

Its more likely what you said above.

And if it is Blueger that sits for Wilson there's zero reason other than Sully turning into Bylsma(i admit alot of other coaches do this as well) because Blueger has that all around game to go with the talent over Wilson.

I was finally happy thinking we would get a look at our best possible roster today. But of course Wilson is in over Pearson.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Kessel - Malkin - Bjugstad
Blueger - McCann - Hornqvist
Pearson - Cullen - ZAR

Not that those would be the lines Id go with, but the players. Always has to be someone in the linuep to keep us compaining tho.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
And wasnt it around this time that Bonino and Hagelin started producing for us when they barely did anything before that when acquired? Not saying Pearson would do the same(hard to repeat that HBK line) but again I see him as someone who can score those goals in the playoffs when needed in the tight games. What we missed last year against the Caps. Just about every game was within reach. Either we had a goal lead that we let slip because nobody could step up and put them away or it was tied and the same thing..or we were down by one....you get the point.

Guys couldn't finish other than our first line. And when JR made that trade, giving up speed for someone who has a good shot..it reminded me of the playoffs last year. And think thats the reason he made it. Yeah its great to have a bunch of guys with speed but if we arent finishing does it matter?

Definitely not giving up on Pearson until I see what he can provide in the playoffs. Last year was a huge disappointment because we had the players, and whether it was due to injuries or not(Kessel, Brassard, etc) guys simply couldn't finish. The first line had Holtby on the ropes just about every game...yet he was able to calm down and get back to his game..gaining more confidence each game. So close to breaking him again...but came up short. The top line could only do so much. Obviously Malkin and Hags being hurt didnt help...since that was a great duo but we should have been able to beat the Caps anyway with how good our first line was.

I still blame it on Cullen's wife tho for making him go to Minny. Caps won a cup because of it...grounds for divorce

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I would like to somehow acquire a depth RH D and Ferland. Maybe a prospect/pick for Lovejoy. Acquire a 2nd for Pearson and a prospect. Then flip 2nd and Simon to CAR for Ferland.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Ferland Malkin Bjugstad
Kessel McCann Hornqvist
Blueger Cullen Aston-Reese
Wilson

Dumoulin Letang
Johnson Schultz
Petterson Lovejoy
Riikola Ruhwedel
*IR Maatta

Reactions: EightyOne

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Tomorrow night is gonna be a big test for the team IMO. Even though NJ is bad, the Pens have failed to show up against them the last couple years. All I wanna see is effort and actually playing Defense in our zone.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

Teddy genuinely had a bad game against NYR, if Sullivan wants to find any reason to sit him, that would be his excuse.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh i totally agree, im just saying that if Sully has his own "teachers pets" he could deffo sit TB

I don’t think there any teacher’s pets on Sullivan’s side. I think it’s honestly the ultimate irony of this board. We have our favorites and criticize the staff for not catering to them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t think there any teacher’s pets on Sullivan’s side. I think it’s honestly the ultimate irony of this board. We have our favorites and criticize the staff for not catering to them.

Tempted to create sock puppet accounts to add more 'likes' to this.

A fair amount of the WBS kids come up here, do great, run out of steam after a few games, go back down, then come back up after 5-10 games and stick. I wonder if we're about to see this pattern repeat itself.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Tempted to create sock puppet accounts to add more 'likes' to this.

A fair amount of the WBS kids come up here, do great, run out of steam after a few games, go back down, then come back up after 5-10 games and stick. I wonder if we're about to see this pattern repeat itself.

Teddy’s treatment seems very similar to Guentzel on a minor scale. Mainly because Teddy didn’t tear a hole in the A like Jake or the NHL like Jake.

I think people have a really tough time grasping development around here and want sudden reward which simply isn’t how the NHL works.

Look how Tampa probably the most forward thinking franchise in terms of drafting than development treated Drouin.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->