Speculation: All Purpose LA Kings 2013-14 Trade Speculation/Rumors Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Call me naive or whatever, but I'm all in every year we have #32, #11, and #8 together in their prime. Any move I'd make would set us up for the next couple years. I still believe this team can get it done when the chips are down. My #1 priority would be a partner for Doughty.

I would definitely try to package Brown+, pick to Buffalo for Ehrhoff/Moulson. He should be an excellent pairing with Doughty.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
This deadline should be interesting, big name players want out, cap going up, and with more big name players wanting out... Players like MM and Vaneks value won't be as inflated. I wonder if DL would be really active because of all these rare conditions at play.

those two will still command a $5M AAV going forward. they are the top two LW UFAs on the market this summer and their respective numbers compared to others will bear that out. there are several teams like LA that are looking for top 6 help at LW, simply because there aren't many out there. overall there is a bit of a dry spell league wide of top 6 LWs. the same happened awhile back with RWs.

come summer time
- re-sign Greene for reduced amount due to injury and performance
- sign Vanek, or sign Moulson (in that order)
- sign a LHD partner for DD
- possible sign/trade defense upgrade for 3rd pair as well

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I would only re-sign Greene at a cheaper price. Someone will throw a ton of cash at him though. I will be surprised if he's back next year.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Seeing Moulson clean up garbage in the Buffalo game last night has me hoping he's the target this deadline. Still seems like the perfect fit for the Kings.

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
If we have to move a big name for some scoring help, my nomination is Matt Greene. With his grit, leadership and style, he will be highly coveted. Will it be a loss, yes, but he factors enormously into the discipline factor that gets us into trouble so often.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
If we have to move a big name for some scoring help, my nomination is Matt Greene. With his grit, leadership and style, he will be highly coveted. Will it be a loss, yes, but he factors enormously into the discipline factor that gets us into trouble so often.

I can see Greene being moved but he is a big lockerroom guy.

I can see Amart being shopped too.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
I can see Willie Mitchell being moved. Wouldn't shock me to see Mitchell + Clifford in a package. Although our biggest need is a F, DL's MO is to load up on D. Basically, replace Mitchell's spot in the lineup with someone better. Not sure who that might be though.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
I can see Willie Mitchell being moved. Wouldn't shock me to see Mitchell + Clifford in a package. Although our biggest need is a F, DL's MO is to load up on D. Basically, replace Mitchell's spot in the lineup with someone better. Not sure who that might be though.

Chris Phillips.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
From what I've seen from Phillips, it wouldn't be an upgrade to what we have now. He is now just another good bottom pairing dman.

I didn't mean to replace Mitchell, as I believe Mitchell isn't going anywhere. But he would be a good add for this stretch run, and could be resigned in the offseason to replace Mitchell like Regehr replaced Scuds.

Assuming we aren't getting someone like Giordano, Phillips would be a good low-cost plan B.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I really appreciate the insight. If Bob Murray is able to move Bryan Allen this summer I'd love it if signed Greene. He's younger, meaner and a right-handed shot. I'm worried about his health though. What was his injury and do you guys think it's still effecting his play?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I really appreciate the insight. If Bob Murray is able to move Bryan Allen this summer I'd love it if signed Greene. He's younger, meaner and a right-handed shot. I'm worried about his health though. What was his injury and do you guys think it's still effecting his play?

It's his back. He really hasn't been the same player since he missed just about all of the 2013 season.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
I didn't mean to replace Mitchell, as I believe Mitchell isn't going anywhere. But he would be a good add for this stretch run, and could be resigned in the offseason to replace Mitchell like Regehr replaced Scuds.

Assuming we aren't getting someone like Giordano, Phillips would be a good low-cost plan B.

I don't disagree with him for the stretch run but then you will have to sit one of Mitchell Greene or regher unless one of them are traded. It might be good to rotate them all for the stretch run to keep the older dmen fresh for the playoffs

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Mitchell has very little value.

I think enough teams are looking for vet help on the backend that a bidding war could exist. Not going to get a 1st for him, or if LA does it would be a Pittsburgh where that 1st is in the 25-29 range (remember NJD do not have a 1st this year so there is only 29 pick in first round).
Personally I would rather keep him.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
I don't disagree with him for the stretch run but then you will have to sit one of Mitchell Greene or regher unless one of them are traded. It might be good to rotate them all for the stretch run to keep the older dmen fresh for the playoffs

That's true. Just would be nice to have insurance for Mitchell or Greene, though I think A-Mart is more than capable. Plus I've always been a big Phillips fan for some reason.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
This deadline should be interesting, big name players want out, cap going up, and with more big name players wanting out... Players like MM and Vaneks value won't be as inflated. I wonder if DL would be really active because of all these rare conditions at play.

It definitely opens the possibility that Dean may make a move for someone like Vanek, but I don't know how active he can be while being strangled by the current cap. We might look for stopgaps like MacD for now and look to address key needs in the offseason. Though, Lombardi doesn't appeal to the ideas of acquiring rentals, there is very little wiggle room and partners willing to eat salary or take on salary dumps given the lean fiscal year.

We are definitely going to make a move or two, but I doubt we'll be seeing him go the full 9 and drop players like Stoll and Greene for salary and add a huge name and pay the additional expense required. I think Dean is hoping to hit a double here to get in position to score rather than expecting to hit a home run. We will probably be more active than ever this offseason or next year when salary starts being cleared and our assets season a little more seasoned and our draft picks are flushed.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That's true. Just would be nice to have insurance for Mitchell or Greene, though I think A-Mart is more than capable. Plus I've always been a big Phillips fan for some reason.

Philips played lights out that year the sens made a run to the finals. Maybe that stayed with you

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Over the next two years, the following dmen will be UFAs:

2014:
Dan Boyle
Kimmo Timonen
Andrei Markov
Marek Zidlicky
Andrej Meszaros
Kyle Quincey
Brooks Orpik
Willie Mitchell
Nick Schultz
Henrik Tallinder
Dan Girardi
Stephane Robidas
Chris Phillips
Matt Greene
Derek Morris
Matt Niskanen
Nikita Nikitin
Ron Hainsey
Mark Stuart
Anton Belov
Mark Fayne
Raphael Diaz
Mike Weaver
Tom Gilbert
Andrew MacDonald

2015:
Mike Green
Paul Martin
Marc Staal
Eric Brewer
Brad Stuart
Francois Beauchemin
Johnny Oduya
Johnny Boychuk
Jan Hejda
Barret Jackman
Robyn Regehr
Marc Methot
Andy Greene
Andrej Sekera
Jordan Leopold
Adam McQuaid
Keith Ballard
Alec Martinez
Matt Irwin

I wouldn't commit big dollars to Mitchell and Greene unless they took pay cuts and short term deals. Their health and durability is a risk and I think there may be better options that could be attainable in the off-season. We may just have to see things play out with their contracts this season, but an upgrade on the blueline before Wednesday is much needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad