Speculation: All Purpose LA Kings 2013-14 Trade Speculation/Rumors Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
Trade deadline is always a blast, you never know what were gonna get, over the last few years has anybody really been able to predict what DL brought in, or really any of DL's trades, shoot Richards and Carter would of been called a pipe dream, Regehr no one saw that one coming, thats why this time of year is fun we get to throw out names in anticipation. Who knows what we'll get, me Im hoping it a Dman.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Would hate it but I cold see the ducks going after Kessler. They have a lot of promising prospects and picks that could be offered. Plus they will need to replace Koivu at some point.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Would hate it but I cold see the ducks going after Kessler. They have a lot of promising prospects and picks that could be offered. Plus they will need to replace Koivu at some point.

They're going to be a problem this year, they are going after all the same players we are. Not good when your rival is there to drive up the price on any player of interest to you, and they can outbid us in most situations.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Vancouver wouldn't, but I would. They need to start rebuilding so they'd want Toffoli.

My biggest concern with RK is his health. He's one nasty mother****er when he plays his game and doesn't embellish. During their Cup run he was so good.

Could you imagine a line of Brown, Kesler, and Richards come playoff time? Sutter would have to change his pants every shift...

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Trade deadline is always a blast, you never know what were gonna get, over the last few years has anybody really been able to predict what DL brought in, or really any of DL's trades, shoot Richards and Carter would of been called a pipe dream, Regehr no one saw that one coming, thats why this time of year is fun we get to throw out names in anticipation. Who knows what we'll get, me Im hoping it a Dman.

In 09, when Lombardi got Williams, that came out of nowhere. In 2010, nobody would've predicted Modin and Halpern, because I'm not sure anyone knew a guy like Modin was still around at the time. The last 3 deadlines have been somewhat predictable, since Penner, Carter, and Regehr were names thrown around for weeks before the deadline. When both Mitchell and Greene were lost early last year, Regehr's name probably came up then.

We know the most talked about names coming up on this deadline. We have a decent sense of what Lombardi will do in terms of what he's willing to give up for players under contract or not. Of course the cap situation this year throws an extra layer of monkey wrench into the whole process.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Could you imagine a line of Brown, Kesler, and Richards come playoff time? Sutter would have to change his pants every shift...

That would be filthy.
I once thought about if LA could get Marcahnd (they can't) a line of
Marchand, Richards, Brown would be fun to watch.
Would sure be a line that would piss off the other team

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
If Anaheim is going after the players we want, time to run up the price. Dean loves gamesmanship.

That would be the nastiest line in the league. Could you imagine the psychological effect they would have on the opposition? Richards single-handedly threw half the Canucks roster into a tailspin in 2012.

Vancouver would never trade him to the Kings though. I would assume Dean has to be inquiring though.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Could you imagine Kopitar, Kesler, Richards down the middle?

Now, how do we convince Vancouver to trade him for spare parts and Lakers tickets?

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
In 09, when Lombardi got Williams, that came out of nowhere. In 2010, nobody would've predicted Modin and Halpern, because I'm not sure anyone knew a guy like Modin was still around at the time. The last 3 deadlines have been somewhat predictable, since Penner, Carter, and Regehr were names thrown around for weeks before the deadline. When both Mitchell and Greene were lost early last year, Regehr's name probably came up then.

We know the most talked about names coming up on this deadline. We have a decent sense of what Lombardi will do in terms of what he's willing to give up for players under contract or not. Of course the cap situation this year throws an extra layer of monkey wrench into the whole process.

That Halpern trade ranks as one of the worst Dean has made. I know he coveted his veteran leadership, but we gave up Purcell AND a 3rd rounder. Maybe Lombardi felt like Purcell wasn't a good fit and we were going to get rid of him anyway. But, awfully big price to pay for a rental. Modin actually worked out better as we hardly gave up anything.

I dunno guys...i'm really on the fence this time with trades. I think we need to do it when we're in a better position. I think we have the personnel to do well for the rest of the year. We have a lot of depth/talent from Manchester and I think it's just going to be one defensive piece and one of the kids stepping up or a trade during the draft or something that will help. I don't like making trades when we are not in a good position.

Anyone else really impressed with Colorado's offense? They still have some things to learn..but wow! MacKinnon is going to be a beast for a lot of years. And they have guys like Duchene, Landeskog and Parenteau/O'Reilly who can bury it as well. I can see them winning the cup in a few years.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That Halpern trade ranks as one of the worst Dean has made. I know he coveted his veteran leadership, but we gave up Purcell AND a 3rd rounder. Maybe Lombardi felt like Purcell wasn't a good fit and we were going to get rid of him anyway. But, awfully big price to pay for a rental. Modin actually worked out better as we hardly gave up anything.

I dunno guys...i'm really on the fence this time with trades. I think we need to do it when we're in a better position. I think we have the personnel to do well for the rest of the year. We have a lot of depth/talent from Manchester and I think it's just going to be one defensive piece and one of the kids stepping up or a trade during the draft or something that will help. I don't like making trades when we are not in a good position.

Anyone else really impressed with Colorado's offense? They still have some things to learn..but wow! MacKinnon is going to be a beast for a lot of years. And they have guys like Duchene, Landeskog and Parenteau/O'Reilly who can bury it as well. I can see them winning the cup in a few years.

To your second point, I"m not sure. Depends on DL's view of the situation--do we play it out and retool heavily in the offseason, or are we going for it again? Tough to say. Last night was slightly encouraging but not enough for an "all in" type to me.

And Colorados offense better be solid since they've spend consecutive lottery pics on offensive stars. They have the Edmonton problem with defense, though; I think they get eaten in a playoff series unless Varlamov absolutely steals the show. They're going to have to move some young talent (not maybe the top three but one of Stastny/O'Reilly) for another top-pairing d-man for sure.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
To your second point, I"m not sure. Depends on DL's view of the situation--do we play it out and retool heavily in the offseason, or are we going for it again? Tough to say. Last night was slightly encouraging but not enough for an "all in" type to me.

And Colorados offense better be solid since they've spend consecutive lottery pics on offensive stars. They have the Edmonton problem with defense, though; I think they get eaten in a playoff series unless Varlamov absolutely steals the show. They're going to have to move some young talent (not maybe the top three but one of Stastny/O'Reilly) for another top-pairing d-man for sure.

I think their D looks a lot different with EJ in the lineup. Definitely there is work to be done there though

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Call me naive or whatever, but I'm all in every year we have #32, #11, and #8 together in their prime. Any move I'd make would set us up for the next couple years. I still believe this team can get it done when the chips are down. My #1 priority would be a partner for Doughty.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

That team with their internal budget are to cheap to pay the. 2 star forwards they have and Kessler.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Call me naive or whatever, but I'm all in every year we have #32, #11, and #8 together in their prime. Any move I'd make would set us up for the next couple years. I still believe this team can get it done when the chips are down. My #1 priority would be a partner for Doughty.

I often share this sentiment. It comes in waives though.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Ducks fan here coming in peace I swear. I'm just curious to know what's the situation with Mitchell and Greene? Is Lombardi going to let them walk or is there talk of either or both of them signing? I would love to see Matt Greene in a Ducks sweater next year but I feel like former Kings aren't crazy about doing that (except for Penner or course).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ducks fan here coming in peace I swear. I'm just curious to know what's the situation with Mitchell and Greene? Is Lombardi going to let them walk or is there talk of either or both of them signing? I would love to see Matt Greene in a Ducks sweater next year but I feel like former Kings aren't crazy about doing that (except for Penner or course).

We've really heard little or nothing on that front though I'm sure the deadline will tell us a little bit about potentially what's happening. Could see the Ducks going after Greene if they don't land Girardi, hadn't thought of that angle.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't know about Mitchell, but I thought we heard a while ago that we have already had preliminary talks with Greene about a possible extension. I would think that we would keep him if we could. Mitchell is up in the air depending on several factors.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't know about Mitchell, but I thought we heard a while ago that we have already had preliminary talks with Greene about a possible extension. I would think that we would keep him if we could. Mitchell is up in the air depending on several factors.

I thought this as well. Than greene got injured (again) and that was the last I heard.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I would hope that they won't retain Greene at his current salary because he's not playing like the physically imposing dman from the 2012 Cup run. He's taken numerous stupid penalties throughout the season and has struggled with the pace of the game. But knowing how desperate some clubs will be in the off season, I expect some fool to give him Komisarek/Finger money, and then watch as he ends up being a buyout candidate not long after.

KingKopitar11*

This deadline should be interesting, big name players want out, cap going up, and with more big name players wanting out... Players like MM and Vaneks value won't be as inflated. I wonder if DL would be really active because of all these rare conditions at play.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
If he stays, we can't give Greene anything resembling a raise. We just can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad