Golf: All purpose golf discussion (The PGA Tour’s 2019-20 schedule in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Tiger played great but he did a poor job as captain. DJ and Woodland? Two bombers together on a British Open style course? Bryson & Finau and Cantlay & Schauffele? It was like he's putting together guys whose careers & games have been similar. And he left 2 vets of these match play events on the bench in Flower and Kuch on Day 1, when you know the home [international] team is going to be pumped & thirsty for a big start.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I think the whole culture around these instances is too chummy. No one wants to make any decisions to upset anyone. Slugger White called Patrick Reed a gentleman for how he dealt with this, as if Reed had gotten a bad break as opposed to completely bringing the situation upon himself. I don’t know if the quote that NLU talks about constantly with Slugger White saying he doesn’t want to effect the chance of someone’s kid going to college is true, but if it is, that’s a microcosm if the issue.

What Phil did was a stain on his career, in my opinion, but he had already done worse in Mexico a year prior violating the spirit of the rules. All my respect for him was gone after that Mexico incident. Phil should’ve had a long suspension for his US Open tantrum. I consider him a cheater. I also consider Tiger a cheater, and I’ve long been a fan, but cheating has no place in the game. I’m not going to defend when any of these guys cheat.

These are pampered millionaires. If they are going to do these types of things, instill some punishment to deter them. They play a game for a living. It’s asking very little to play by the rules.
I honestly don't know what he did in Mexico so I won't comment on that.

As for the US Open thing, I don't really see it similarly to the Reed situation. Phil was clearly frustrated, had gave up on winning and made a stupid decision. It was against the rules and deserved punishment, that being said it wasn't as if he was trying to gain an advantage to win the tournament. Reed intentionally tried to gain an advantage to win a tournament, much more scummy to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I honestly don't know what he did in Mexico so I won't comment on that.

As for the US Open thing, I don't really see it similarly to the Reed situation. Phil was clearly frustrated, had gave up on winning and made a stupid decision. It was against the rules and deserved punishment, that being said it wasn't as if he was trying to gain an advantage to win the tournament. Reed intentionally tried to gain an advantage to win a tournament, much more scummy to me.

He was in contention there in 2017 during round three, and did this.

Hole 10: Hits the ball way left. Claims a spectator picked up his ball and ran away with it. There were 50-100 people in the area, but no one could identify having ever seen this person that supposedly took his ball. Should’ve been a lost ball, instead gets a free drop, and he nearly makes birdie. Pars the hole.

Hole 11: Hits the ball way right into the trees on the par five. His ball was in a bush. He talks his way into a free drop outside of the bush because he claims that a sprinkler head in the bush was in his way of the shot he was going to hit. Should’ve been an unplayable, instead he pitches out back into the fairway from outside the bush. Makes par.

Hole 12: Hits his ball way right into the trees again. Surely this would be an unplayable. Wrong because another sprinkler head in a bush was effecting his stance. Should’ve been an unplayable. Instead of dropping outside the bush on the last hole, he has to drop inside of it, but has a stance to pitch out to the fairway after he wouldn’t have had a shot prior to the sprinkler head . Hits a bad recovery shot, so he makes bogey.

He cheated three holes in a row to gain an advantage. I could believe this happening one of those three holes. Not three in a row. He saved himself anywhere between 3-6 shots on those three holes from his cheating. It’s like with Reed last week. If this was the first time this had happened, you might believe him. When it’s done with consistency, it’s hard to not consider him a cheater.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
He was in contention there in 2017 during round three, and did this.

Hole 10: Hits the ball way left. Claims a spectator picked up his ball and ran away with it. There were 50-100 people in the area, but no one could identify having ever seen this person that supposedly took his ball. Should’ve been a lost ball, instead gets a free drop, and he nearly makes birdie. Pars the hole.

Hole 11: Hits the ball way right into the trees on the par five. His ball was in a bush. He talks his way into a free drop outside of the bush because he claims that a sprinkler head in the bush was in his way of the shot he was going to hit. Should’ve been an unplayable, instead he pitches out back into the fairway from outside the bush. Makes par.

Hole 12: Hits his ball way right into the trees again. Surely this would be an unplayable. Wrong because another sprinkler head in a bush was effecting his stance. Should’ve been an unplayable. Instead of dropping outside the bush on the last hole, he has to drop inside of it, but has a stance to pitch out to the fairway after he wouldn’t have had a shot prior to the sprinkler head . Hits a bad recovery shot, so he makes bogey.

He cheated three holes in a row to gain an advantage. I could believe this happening one of those three holes. Not three in a row. He saved himself anywhere between 3-6 shots on those three holes from his cheating. It’s like with Reed last week. If this was the first time this had happened, you might believe him. When it’s done with consistency, it’s hard to not consider him a cheater.
That's pretty f***ed up.

You think the rules officials would have been a little more strict with the rules lol.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He pressured a newer rules official on the 10th hole into a free drop. Then he got Slugger White on 11 and 12. Slugger White wants everyone's kids to go to college. If he called Mickelson on these fake sprinkler head issues, he might not be able to afford to pay for his kids to go to college.

Edit: This is a real quote. I thought it was a joke.

Say the penalty cost him $5,000. Suddenly he’s so far down the FedEx Cup point list he doesn’t have a place to play the following year, which in turn might mean his kid can’t go to college, or he can’t put a down payment on that decent house. Or worse.

PGA Tour rules guru Slugger White on never being late for work, knowing when to say, ‘I'm sorry,’ and the pain of discovering a 15th club - Golf Digest

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
That was a huge swing in the last few matches for the US, Internationals would have been close to putting it away if they came away with 4 or 4.5 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad